Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
So just to clear up some misconceptions, the expansion draft rules require that a certain number of eligible players play a certain number of games. That does not mean that the only players eligible to be drafted are those with sufficient games played.

For example, if Kale Clague doesn’t play in the NHL next season, he can still be selected by Seattle if not protected.
This is what I read on NHL.com:

"* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons."

I think Olli Maatta would fulfill that requirement if the Kings kept Clague under 40 games. I don't think Clague gets exposed if the Kings don't want him exposed.

Token

May 15, 2019
Kings kept Clague under 40 games.
Those are two separate requirements.

The kings have to expose one D that meets the 40 game threshold. Maatta meets that requirement.

The 40 game threshold however does not protect a player from being draft eligible. If Clague plays the whole season in Ontario or has 39 games with the Kings, he remains eligible for the draft, but would not satisfy the separate Club-Level requirement for 40/70.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This is what I read on NHL.com:

"* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons."

I think Olli Maatta would fulfill that requirement if the Kings kept Clague under 40 games. I don't think Clague gets exposed if the Kings don't want him exposed.

Nope. The only way Clague doesn't get exposed is if the Kings protect him.

Here are all the rules for who is eligible: Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.
  • All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.
  • All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.
In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
  • One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
  • Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
  • One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
  • Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.
---

Any player who doesn't have a no movement clause and who isn't a first- or second-year pro (and in this case, pro means AHL or NHL) is eligible to be selected.

So let's imagine that we go 8/1 and protect Kopitar, Iafallo, Kempe, Andersson, Doughty, Maatta, Walker, Roy, and Petersen. That means that Seattle can select one of the following players:

F: Brown, Carter, Wagner, Lizotte, Moore, Imama, Rymsha, Grundstrom, Frk, Luff, Eyssimont, Amadio
D: MacDermid, Clague, Strand, Moverare, Alt, Brickley
G: Quick, Grosenick

In this scenario, I would guess that Seattle takes one of Wagner or Lizotte.

This assumes that two forwards and one defenseman meet the eligibility requirements. A few players are real close. Brown needs 4 games, Carter needs 10, Lizotte and Wagner both need 5, Amadio needs 2. So forward is likely covered. On defense, MacDermid would need 25 games next season or one of Clague, Strand, Moverare, Alt, or Brickley would need 40. We likely see MacDermid play in 25 games in order to be eligible, unless the plan for LA is to expose one of Maatta or Walker (which is possible). We are set in net, exposing Quick.

Alternatively, if we go 7/3/1 and protect Kopitar, Iafallo, Kempe, Wagner, Lizotte, Andersson, Grundstrom, Doughty, Walker, Roy, and Petersen, then Seattle can select one of the following players:

F: Brown, Carter, Moore, Imama, Rymsha, Frk, Luff, Eyssimont, Amadio
D: Maatta, MacDermid, Clague, Strand, Moverare, Alt, Brickley
G: Quick, Grosenick

In this scenario, I would imagine that Seattle takes Maatta (or Walker if protect Maatta instead).

We can think of it this way: Anyone who left juniors or college three or more years ago is eligible to be selected. Clague's last season in the WHL was in 2017-18, so he turned pro for the 2018-19 season (year 1), then played 2019-20 in the AHL (year 2), and will play next season in the AHL or NHL as well (year 3). Whereas a player like Cole Hults, who is older than Clague, just finished his NCAA career and is thus turning pro this coming season and is therefore exempt.

That's how I see things shaking out anyway.

Last edited:

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Perhaps you mean Walker, not Wagner? I think they would drive Wagner to the airport, part of the reason they gave him a 3rd year was entice them to take him, as they have to take so many players with term.

Yes. You are correct. My bad. I believe that there’s a good chance the Kings will prefer to protect four defensemen.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I would go with 8 skaters.

Kopitar
Grundstrom
Iafallo
Kempe/Wagner - whoever has the better year
Doughty
Walker
Roy
Clague/Maatta - whoever has the better year

Petersen

It's conceivable that if both Maatta and Clague have good/great seasons, the kings would do a minor trade for a guy in order to protect 3F and 5D

Reactions: BringTheReign

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I would agree with the above list, except for Kempe. I think he's safe. So it'll more likely come down to two of Grundstrom/Iafallo/Wagnar (i'd even throw Frk in there because...you never know). Clague stays unless he has a down/blah year and Maatta absolutely kills it.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
They acquired maatta for a short term role, protect the kids while they find their feet and to be the one defenceman that meets the requirements to be exposed so they do not have to play MacD for 25 games and hope that he doesn't get injured.

He has one year remaining when Seattle picks, there's no way they expose 3 more years of walker who just resigned for a guy who has one year left.

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
The expansion draft shouldn't worry the Kings too much.
In fact they could benefit from it: maybe they can do a side deal with another team and pick up an asset cheaply.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Right now, they should go with 7-3-1 and dangle Maatta for their pick.
But if Ollie plays well, it will complicate things a bit and Clague has to really impress in this shorten season to protect him.

I think it comes down to these 2 for which players to protect and who to expose.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Right now, they should go with 7-3-1 and dangle Maatta for their pick.
But if Ollie plays well, it will complicate things a bit and Clague has to really impress in this shorten season to protect him.

I think it comes down to these 2 for which players to protect and who to expose.

Clague would have to play 40 games (or whatever the pro-rated amount ends up being if they play less than 82 games) in order to check the box for the defenseman.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Clague would have to play 40 games (or whatever the pro-rated amount ends up being if they play less than 82 games) in order to check the box for the defenseman.

Again, unless protected, Clague is eligible to be selected no matter how many games he plays. Griffin Reinhart was selected from Edmonton despite not meeting the minimum games played qualifications. Those minimum qualifications are in place to assure that teams expose at least some NHL-caliber players.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I still say you do

Kopitar
Kempe
Andersson
Wagner
Grundstrom
Lizotte
Brown
(Iafallo is a pending UFA)

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Petersen

Exposed:
Goaltender: Quick
Forwards: Carter, Amadio, Frk
Defense: Määttä, MacDermid, Brickley, Clague, Moverare

Basically forces them to take Quick, Amadio or Maatta or settle for a big maybe in a prospect like Clague or Moverare. Would hate to see them take MacDermid but I could see it too. Would anyone care if they took Carter, Frk or Brickley? I wouldn’t.

Could always explore trading Clague and Iafallo as a package. Maybe Tampon Bay would be interested? Could also be up for moving Grundstrom in the deal as well.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I still think 8 skaters should seriously be considered....if Maata/Clague prove worthy to keep. We have a plethora of forwards in the pipeline.
There's no need to protect Brown. Kop + Kempe + Andersson are the only for sure ones for me. I'm not sure i'd care much at all losing any of the others quite frankly. Jury is still out for keeping Wagner (not if shot doesn't improve), Grundstrom (can he stay healthy; can he even produce) and Lizotte (when did he become a LT fixture of the Kings?).

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Again, unless protected, Clague is eligible to be selected no matter how many games he plays. Griffin Reinhart was selected from Edmonton despite not meeting the minimum games played qualifications. Those minimum qualifications are in place to assure that teams expose at least some NHL-caliber players.

I know. i'm saying they have to expose Määttä unless someone else meets that 40 game criteria, or they want to expose Roy/Walker instead (doubt it), thus Clague would need to play a certain number of games in order to check the box as that "NHL defenseman".

Token

May 15, 2019
I still say you do

Kopitar
Kempe
Andersson
Wagner
Grundstrom
Lizotte
Brown
(Iafallo is a pending UFA)

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Petersen

Exposed:
Goaltender: Quick
Forwards: Carter, Amadio, Frk
Defense: Määttä, MacDermid, Brickley, Clague, Moverare

Basically forces them to take Quick, Amadio or Maatta or settle for a big maybe in a prospect like Clague or Moverare. Would hate to see them take MacDermid but I could see it too. Would anyone care if they took Carter, Frk or Brickley? I wouldn’t.

Could always explore trading Clague and Iafallo as a package. Maybe Tampon Bay would be interested? Could also be up for moving Grundstrom in the deal as well.
You do realize Brown was NOT protected for the Vegas draft, right?

Gotta fix that for credibility.

It is also possible Kempe and Iafallo get traded before the draft. Especially Kempe with his sweetheart contract for that extra year.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I know. i'm saying they have to expose Määttä unless someone else meets that 40 game criteria, or they want to expose Roy/Walker instead (doubt it), thus Clague would need to play a certain number of games in order to check the box as that "NHL defenseman".

MacDermid will only need to play in 25 games next season to check off that box. But I’m almost certain one of Maatta, Roy, or Walker will be exposed.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
You do realize Brown was NOT protected for the Vegas draft, right?

Gotta fix that for credibility.

It is also possible Kempe and Iafallo get traded before the draft. Especially Kempe with his sweetheart contract for that extra year.
Of course I do but so what different time. And really he’s just a placeholder in case the Kings made a trade. Iafallo sure. Cash in while the iron is hot. Kempe is the only kid in that age range and he’d be good to have around for Andersson.

Reactions: Token

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I would hate to lose MacD the most from the list of players at risk for being taken by the expansion draft. He’s turned into a serviceable #6/7 defenseman and is a top 5’ish heavyweight in the league. If he leaves, no one on the Kings roster is going to handle guys like Reaves and Lucic.

With the NHL ready org depth stronger at forward than D, I think you go the 8 skaters option and protect 4 D.

Reactions: head eyes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad