Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Who do you think? Lizotte? Wagner? Clague? Grundstrom? I’d be really surprised if they took Quick or Brown.

I think there are too many questions that have to be answered to have a meaningful guess.

Before the Andersson/Maatta trades I would have protected

Kopitar, Iafallo, Kempe/ Wagner, Lizotte, Grundstrom, Amadio
Doughty, Walker, Roy
Petersen

I don't subscribe to the "Iafallo is UFA so a deal can be made" theory.

Had Clague made a name for himself or demonstrated clear value I would have added him to the list and exposed whichever three of W/L/G/A seemed less replaceable.

HOWEVER

now we have Andersson and Maatta and they have to demonstrate their relative value so I could easily see it being

Kopitar/Iafallo/Kempe/Andersson
Doughty/Walker/Roy/Maatta
Petersen

There are too many permutations to type out so I'll just ultimately say I think the same guy will be taken that I've always thought will be taken...

Martin Frk

Reactions: Rooks and kilowatt

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I went with 7 / 3 / 1 .......

1) Kopitar
2) Iafallo
3) Kempe
4) Wagner
5) Andersson
6) Frk
7) Grundström

1) Doughty
2) Walker
3) Roy

1) Peterson

Dammit, if Strand & Clague keep showing they're worth keeping, then the whole thing needs to be re-thought!!! Maybe go with 4 /4 / 1 ??? LoL @ me choosing to keep Wagner & Frk!!!

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
This is, currently, what I'd lean towards.....

1) Kopitar
2) Iafallo
3) Kempe
4) Grundström

1) Doughty
2) Roy
3) Strand*
4) Clague**

1) Peterson

....... *I'd protect Strand over Walker because SIZE cannot be taught.
.....** I'd protect Clague over Walker because Doughty & Roy & Strand are all RD. Clague is the only LD on the list.....

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
The only thing I still believe.
droid.jpg

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

1) Kopitar
2) Iafallo
3) Kempe
4) Grundström

1) Doughty
2) Roy
3) Strand*
4) Clague**

1) Peterson

.....** I'd protect Clague over Walker because Doughty & Roy & Strand are all RD. Clague is the only LD on the list.....

Look further down the organizational depth chart, Hults, Björnfot & obviously Anderson, all left shots, I'm pretty sure they didn't sign Walker to that sweetheart of a deal to lose him for nothing.

Token

May 15, 2019
I look at this from a buried treasure point of view.

Once you protect Kopi, Doughty, and Cal ...

... what remaining players do we have eligible to be taken that don’t have two or three prospects in the pool fighting for their job?

I’ll lump them for expediency ...

Iafallo, AA, Frk - wingers we hope score some goals and points - pipeline: Kaliyev, Fagemo, Madden, Kupari, heck; even Turcotte...

Roll players that give you the 4-line rotation - Andersson, Grundy, Wagner, Luff, Lizotte, Moore... Pipeline: Thomas, JAD, Dudas, Eyssimont ...

Similar for D.

End of the day, regardless of who goes North, there will be an 18/19 draft class kid ready to jump up.

And that there is a real winded way of saying ... it don’t matter much in the long run.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

1) Kopitar
2) Iafallo
3) Kempe
4) Grundström

1) Doughty
2) Roy
3) Strand*
4) Clague**

1) Peterson

You can protect walker instead of iafallo. I dont think Seattle will take him without a contract guarantee. Id bet the kings have a contract in place for him that will come into place after the expansion draft.

Reactions: Basilisk

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We are going to lose a decent player, no doubt. At least we now have a stable of prospects to fill the vacant hole.

the only thing we can do now is wait and see who goes.

I guess Blake could try and do a 2 for 1 deal sending out 2 decent players for a bit better player sometime this season. Example dangle a Kempe and Walker together with a pick and grab a very good player. Just spitballing.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
We are going to lose a decent player, no doubt. At least we now have a stable of prospects to fill the vacant hole.

I guess Blake could try and do a 2 for 1 deal sending out 2 decent players for a bit better player sometime this season. Example dangle a Kempe and Walker together with a pick and grab a very good player. Just spitballing.
I ran the Cap Friendly expansion draft simulator and boy, there’s a bunch of no-names and overpaid players that might be available. On some of the teams, I had no idea who the available players were (outside of cap dumps). Seattle better be willing to take on some bad contracts in exchange for getting draft picks.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

It's not just spitballing. Of the forwards, the Kings really only need to protect 2 -- Kopi and Kempe. I think Walker (his deadline trade value has likely plummeted) will be protected along with Strand and Clague + Roy/DD. That leaves a spot open for an upgrade on Grundstrom/Andersson/Frk etc. Iafallo should be traded (he's dirt cheap and productive for a rental). However, don't look now but the Kings are back in the picture for the playoffs. If that happens then Iafallo won't be traded.

Wild card: trade Mikey Anderson + (for a desperate team that needs a LHD in the playoffs and don't have any protection slots) for their stud prospect.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Strand has played a handful of games. Seems solid but I’m not sure LA is willing to let a guy like Walker go just yet. Strand likely ends up back in the AHL soon unless he forces them to make a tough decision.

I love what MacD brings but he could also be the odd man out with his defensive deficiencies.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I ran the Cap Friendly expansion draft simulator and boy, there’s a bunch of no-names and overpaid players that might be available. On some of the teams, I had no idea who the available players were (outside of cap dumps). Seattle better be willing to take on some bad contracts in exchange for getting draft picks.

I did one as well and depending on who you decide to protect for all the teams, there should still be some decent talent available. It just depends on how well you are familiar with the other teams organizational depth.

I don’t think you will see as many deals like the Vegas expansion draft. Teams have learned from that and will likely be more willing to submit their lists and let Seattle pick who they want rather than give up multiple assets just to ensure the Kraken do not select certain player(s).

Regardless, here’s to hoping Seattle sucks out of the gate. I don’t want to see a Vegas repeat.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I did one as well and depending on who you decide to protect for all the teams, there should still be some decent talent available. It just depends on how well you are familiar with the other teams organizational depth.

I don’t think you will see as many deals like the Vegas expansion draft. Teams have learned from that and will likely be more willing to submit their lists and let Seattle pick who they want rather than give up multiple assets just to ensure the Kraken do not select certain player(s).

Regardless, here’s to hoping Seattle sucks out of the gate. I don’t want to see a Vegas repeat.

Maybe, but I could also see their Cap Space as the most valuable asset in the league next summer. Take Henrique for a 1/2...take Lucic or Neal for 1’s. Johnson for a few picks. Basically every free agent will only be able to get paid if they go to Seattle.

Seattle could get a competitive team and a top 10 prospect pool just by utilizing that space properly. Pending an actual draft*

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I think you should all pay attention to what The Mayor has to say about this week.

But just for S&G... as of TODAY

Kopitar, Iafallo, Kempe, Grundstrom
Doughy, Roy, Walker, Clague
Petersen

This is the pretty logical way. Assuming you don’t work something out with Iafallo.

No chance Grundstrom is protected over Strand.

At this point very much a chance. Could that change by year end absolutely. Just as likely Strand gets demoted when Walker comes back and and struggles to get more appearances this year, as the Kings are all the sudden (dare I say)deep?

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
This is the pretty logical way. Assuming you don’t work something out with Iafallo.

At this point very much a chance. Could that change by year end absolutely. Just as likely Strand gets demoted when Walker comes back and and struggles to get more appearances this year, as the Kings are all the sudden (dare I say)deep?
I would probably keep Trevor Moore over Grundstrom. The Kings are "deep" but the blue line really lacks size. Watching TB, MA and SW get run over on a regular basis won't cut it for the long term. Lots of big boys in the west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->