Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
As of now I would protect

Kopitar
Brown
Iafallo (likely to be re-signed before the end of next season)
Kempe
Wagner
Andersson (We'll see how the Lias Andersson experiment works out)
Frk

Doughty
Walker
Roy

Peterson

If I were Seattle, I'd take 1. Quick, 2. Lizotte, or 3. Maatta. If the Kings want to keep Clague, they'll play him less than the 40 games this season.

I wonder if the Kings work out a deal so that Quick can ride into the sunset as a King. Otherwise I wouldn't even bat an eye at losing any of the other eligible players on the list.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Whether he plays a ton this year or not i'm inclined to think they'd rather keep Clague than 2 of Wagner/Lizotte/Grundström, anybody who thinks they would protect Carter or Brown is kidding themselves, Blake and Co. would do cartwheels if they took one of them.

At this stage, this is probably what it looks like.

Kopitar
Iafallo
Kempe
Andersson (even though I don't think he comes over this year)
Doughty
Roy
Walker
Clague

Petersen

What I am interested to see is how will they prorate the 40/70 requirement if this season is only 60 games?

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Unless he has a breakout season, I could see Clague being traded by the deadline rather than exposing him in the draft.

Not sure why posters are suggesting protecting Frk, who will be 28 and one season removed from UFA when the expansion draft comes around. I like Frk, but if Seattle takes him, you send them a thank you card with a nice fruit basket.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Unless he has a breakout season, I could see Clague being traded by the deadline rather than exposing him in the draft.

Not sure why posters are suggesting protecting Frk, who will be 28 and one season removed from UFA when the expansion draft comes around. I like Frk, but if Seattle takes him, you send them a thank you card with a nice fruit basket.
and maybe some smoked cheese too

Reactions: HeadInjury

Token

May 15, 2019
I think the reality may be that past Kopi, the bet on Andersson, maybe Kempe if he rocks this season...

... our expansion eligible forwards are all replacement level league-mid to bargain basement level placeholders, long since passed on the depth chart by superb drafting.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So just to clear up some misconceptions, the expansion draft rules require that a certain number of eligible players play a certain number of games. That does not mean that the only players eligible to be drafted are those with sufficient games played.

For example, if Kale Clague doesn’t play in the NHL next season, he can still be selected by Seattle if not protected.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
8 Skaters + 1 Goalie
1. Kopitar
2. Doughty
3. Roy
4. Wagner
5. Clague
6. TBD
7. TBD
8. TBD
G. Petersen

The TBD’s depend on performance during the 2020-21 season

Which skaters/goalie definitely do not get protected?

Carter
Brown
———
Maata
———
Quick

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
8 Skaters + 1 Goalie
1. Kopitar
2. Doughty
3. Roy
4. Wagner
5. Clague
6. TBD
7. TBD
8. TBD
G. Petersen

Carter
Brown
———
Maata
———
Quick

So there's a scenario in which Iafallo and Kempe don't get protected?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Frk is interesting. If his synergy with Vilardi continues and he puts up good numbers, not only will he be protected, he'll be re-signed for another go. It probably wouldn't be expensive to do so either. Things are going to be a ton clearer by the time this list has to be submitted. It's nice to have so many exemptions that we are discussing which college FA signing to protect instead of a true core player.

Reactions: Basilisk

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
There is definitely a TBD here, for it's a fair bet one of the players we don't expect to break out may do just that, particularly among the middle to bottom six. If someone makes themselves indispensable and they are under 28, they will likely grab a protected spot.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Kopitar
Brown
Kempe
Wagner
Frk

Doughty
Walker
Roy

Peterson

If I were Seattle, I'd take 1. Quick, 2. Lizotte, or 3. Maatta. If the Kings want to keep Clague, they'll play him less than the 40 games this season.

I wonder if the Kings work out a deal so that Quick can ride into the sunset as a King. Otherwise I wouldn't even bat an eye at losing any of the other eligible players on the list.

Kopitar
Brown
Kempe
Wagner
Frk

Doughty
Walker
Roy

Peterson

There is a less than 1% chance Seattle would take Quick. Seattle will have a ton of goalies to choose from since teams can only keep one. Unless players like Grundstrom, Clague, Wagner etc really kill it and we have a real protection problem, I can see Seattle telling Blake give us a good pick and send us whatever scrub you choose.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Kopitar
Kempe
Wagner
Andersson
Frk
Lizotte
Grundstrom

Doughty
Walker
Roy

Peterson

Thats how the protection will be with Iafallo on a handshake agreement with Blake to resign July 1.

Maatta must be exposed to meet the 40 game requirement, with only 1 year left until UFA its no issue and really its the reason he was aquired, to allow the rookies to progress at their own pace and to be the defenceman exposed.

You could try to protect Clague, but chances are Seattle arent taking a chance on a rookie and I'd rather keep Lizotte and Wagner over Clague. If they take Clague then you have the option to resign Maatta.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Am I the only one that would be upset if Seattle nabbed MacDermid? Granted I don't know where Clague takes his career, but I feel like defenseman of his skill/ceiling are a way higher commodity then one of the most feared fighters in the league in 2020. Plus the boys love him. Without MacDermid policing the games, I'd be worried for the upcoming kids these next couple years... there's going to be ALOT kids coming through the system and I'd feel alot better with MacDermid around

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Frk is interesting. If his synergy with Vilardi continues and he puts up good numbers, not only will he be protected, he'll be re-signed for another go. It probably wouldn't be expensive to do so either. Things are going to be a ton clearer by the time this list has to be submitted. It's nice to have so many exemptions that we are discussing which college FA signing to protect instead of a true core player.

Frk needs to score a dozen goals (or more) on the PP. That’s why he’s in the organization. That’s his role if he siezes it.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
8 Skaters + 1 Goalie
1. Kopitar
2. Doughty
3. Roy
4. Wagner
5. Clague
6. TBD
7. TBD
8. TBD
G. Petersen

Carter
Brown
———
Maata
———
Quick

Perhaps you mean Walker, not Wagner? I think they would drive Wagner to the airport, part of the reason they gave him a 3rd year was entice them to take him, as they have to take so many players with term.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Perhaps you mean Walker, not Wagner? I think they would drive Wagner to the airport, part of the reason they gave him a 3rd year was entice them to take him, as they have to take so many players with term.
The Kings are very high on Wagner and think his scoring rate will go back up this year. The rumor is they gave him the third year because they think he has a much better shit of scoring 20 goals than his pace last year

To use an analogy, This was Wagner last year
tenor.gif

This is the Wagner of the future
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad