Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Their attempt to smooth things over are just making it worse it seems. How pathetic is it seeing Bobby Burgers trying to convince us he wont f*** it up this time despite ruthlessly shitting the bed the first time round?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Once he learns how to do his job he is apparently not qualified for, we will be fine.
Katz wastes so much money paying these reject employees, why doesn't he just poach good employees from other teams with his monies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I share tickets with a group of friends and we are bucking the trend and upgrading our tickets next year. I really don’t like the upper bowl anymore. The seats are small and the concourse is a disaster during intermissions.

Well the optimist in me says that we will improve over time and I want to witness that, along with getting playoff tickets and having my same seats for concerts, the Oil Kings, the draft and all star game if it comes, World Juniors, etc.

Many people leaving may regret it 3-4 years down the road if the team is good and their choice of seats is no longer available. Plus it will be a buyers market this year, I think there will be a lot of incentives to remaining a season seat holder this year.

What do they say, buy low sell high? :skeptic:

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Well the optimist in me says that we will improve over time and I want to witness that, along with getting playoff tickets and having my same seats for concerts, the Oil Kings, the draft and all star game if it comes, World Juniors, etc.

Many people leaving may regret it 3-4 years down the road if the team is good and their choice of seats is no longer available. Plus it will be a buyers market this year, I think there will be a lot of incentives to remaining a season seat holder this year.

When you get opportunity to purchase other events you don’t get same seats you get similar seats in club area, however I have only noticed this for concerts with my clubs. You get access code then go and it searches best available throught ticketmaster.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When you get opportunity to purchase other events you don’t get same seats you get similar seats in club area, however I have only noticed this for concerts with my clubs. You get access code then go and it searches best available throught ticketmaster.

I have 2 Loge rail seats so I get my exact same seats for all events, Oil Kings, concerts, etc. The only time I don’t get my Loge seats is if it’s a smaller venue as my Loge seats are a few feet in from the Oilers blue line facing the players benches. Jim Gaffigan was like that and we got 2 other Loge seats. I’m hoping I move towards Center ice this off season but if not it’s ok too.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Once he learns how to do his job he is apparently not qualified for, we will be fine.
Katz wastes so much money paying these reject employees, why doesn't he just poach good employees from other teams with his monies.

Because it would cost a lot of money to get a respectable and intelligent person to operate in katz greasy and disfunctional perpetual hussle of the people of edmonton.

Why should anyone with talent and smarts come here? Your reputation is going down the toilet when you fail. Plus you'd have to hang out with katz and lowe once in a while. Ya we are the joke of the nhl and all 30 other orgs know it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Because it would cost a lot of money to get a respectable and intelligent person to operate in katz greasy and disfunctional perpetual hussle of the people of edmonton.

Why should anyone with talent and smarts come here? Your reputation is going down the toilet when you fail. Plus you'd have to hang out with katz and lowe once in a while. Ya we are the joke of the nhl and all 30 other orgs know it.

haha, the bolded honestly gave me shivers. Who would even want to hang with those guys. Not exactly a perk of the position. Its quite amazing how sordid Lowe, MacT etal have become, even Gretzky, with every advantage that privileged life bestows. These people are hockey royalty and in tenured positions and they are all seemingly miserable without alcohol.

It makes you wonder if they thought they would become this.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I do not know personally a single season ticket holder who is renewing or at best downgrading their tickets to a less expensive option. The poor economy combined with record tying ineptitude by this franchise are going to be toxic for the Oilers.

In fact I am not sure how bad it’s going to be but I think it could be very bad indeed. I might be the only one left in the building lol.

When a business loses decades old customers you just don’t get them back. They may nibble around the edges a bit but this seems like a mass exodus by two generations old ticket holders which is irreplaceable.

I have already told my account manager I want to move closer to center ice. :naughty:

I'll be there with you next year, buds.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why would successful teams tell him their successful analytics formula's? In a business where millions are at stake why would anyone throw him a bone unless they want the job and are trying to impress him?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why would successful teams tell him their successful analytics formula's? In a business where millions are at stake why would anyone throw him a bone unless they want the job and are trying to impress him?
At the very least, they’d save the analytics info until after they’re hired. Just like Eakins said he’d do when discussing his “next job” possibilities.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
haha, the bolded honestly gave me shivers. Who would even want to hang with those guys. Not exactly a perk of the position. Its quite amazing how sordid Lowe, MacT etal have become, even Gretzky, with every advantage that privileged life bestows. These people are hockey royalty and in tenured positions and they are all seemingly miserable without alcohol.

It makes you wonder if they thought they would become this.

You look at former Oilers who have thrown themselves post-retirement into learning every aspect of their new crafts (coaching , managing, scouting) and you have these clowns who figure they can figureit out on the fly.

To put that in perspective posters here probably think they can do those jobs. That it's not so hard. But the door will never be open for them to even walk in.

Meanwhile, last call was a while ago and these imbeciles are still acting like they can call orders in.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Well, there are only so many spots when you have to feed your law school buddies and friends from childhood

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016

I always appreciate your candor and knowledge Night Witch, I mean 5 Mins 4 Ftg.

For today's game, I purchased a pair of lower bowl seats for 25% of their "Face-Value" which has been getting lower and lower as the year progresses (and half the cost of my Upper Bowl 'Penthouse' :snide: Center Ice STH seats).

Unfortunately it's not the Season Seat holders who are buying low and selling high, far from it.

You have articulated your reasons, for continuing on as a STH, very eloquently numerous times through out the threads and I admire your ability to do so.

For me, I can't think of a single reason to actually renew; but I can think of seemingly countless reasons not to.

I really do hope they turn it around and become a consistent contender in several years.

Perhaps then, I'll rejoin you.

But for now I'm ...

:madfire:

:banghead:

:baghead:

out!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I always appreciate your candor and knowledge Night Witch, I mean 5 Mins 4 Ftg.

For today's game, I purchased a pair of lower bowl seats for 25% of their "Face-Value" which has been getting lower and lower as the year progresses (and half the cost of my Upper Bowl 'Penthouse' :snide: Center Ice STH seats).

Unfortunately it's not the Season Seat holders who are buying low and selling high, far from it.

You have articulated your reasons, for continuing on as a STH, very eloquently numerous times through out the threads and I admire your ability to do so.

For me, I can't think of a single reason to actually renew; but I can think of seemingly countless reasons not to.

I really do hope they turn it around and become a consistent contender in several years.

Perhaps then, I'll rejoin you.

But for now I'm ...

:madfire:

:banghead:

:baghead:

out!

I certainly don’t blame you or anyone else for walking away from this garbage. It may be 3-4 years before it’s full again. Katz is going to take it in the nuts big time.

(The “buy low sell high” was tongue in cheek btw lol. Night Witch, yeah changed that after too many HFOil guys asked me via PM on a date and then I got put into the HF Oil penalty box for fighting with a member here so thought I’d make a forum name change....)

Reactions: Nonamee

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I certainly don’t blame you or anyone else for walking away from this garbage. It may be 3-4 years before it’s full again. Katz is going to take it in the nuts big time.

(The “buy low sell high” was tongue in cheek btw lol. Night Witch, yeah changed that after too many HFOil guys asked me via PM on a date and then I got put into the HF Oil penalty box for fighting with a member here so thought I’d make a forum name change....)

Are you a woman? Not that it matters of course but I never would've known one way or another and find it odd that so many others did (if you are).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Are you a woman? Not that it matters of course but I never would've known one way or another and find it odd that so many others did (if you are).

Lol hell no! It’s one of my favourite songs from a Swedish heavy metal band. Didn’t think I’d be here much when I joined, song was playing and I just used the name. A few ppl thought I was a woman and it was getting sort of weird after a while so I decided to change the name but I’m no good at picking clever forum names. Just so happened that I got my wrist slapped by a moderator for fighting with a fellow member here so I decided well I just got 5 for fighting so switched it out to that name.

No more date requests... and since my forced time out in the penalty box I am also trying to be more patient and more understanding of everyone’s opinion as well (even when they are wrong lol)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton

This is why I've been renewing for all these years. It's like not buying into the office lotto pool and then on Monday morning being the only loser at work.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
The “buy low sell high” was tongue in cheek btw lol.

I knew that was tongue and cheek as per your emoji hint ... but felt compelled to add my voice to it anywho.

It's interesting hearing your name, and subsequent name change, story.

You think that you're not too talented with pseudonyms ... doesn't get much worse than Nonamee :(:vhappy::help::thumbu:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I had ST's for over 40 years until this year, and honestly, I like where I'm at now. Have gone to a couple games at a reduced price (drink rail both times - I spoiled us!) I enjoy the experience of a live event, but having so many games just got to be too much. Combine that with the consistent of lack value for cost, and it was an easy choice. Now, I just pick and choose when and where I want to sit. If nothing comes up that satisfies, I enjoy it on the telly. I applaud all current STHers, but this just works out way better for me at this point in my life. I can easily afford it, but I don't think I'll ever go back to where I was before. The Oilers just helped me make up my mind earlier.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
I had ST's for over 40 years until this year, and honestly, I like where I'm at now. Have gone to a couple games at a reduced price (drink rail both times - I spoiled us!) I enjoy the experience of a live event, but having so many games just got to be too much. Combine that with the consistent of lack value for cost, and it was an easy choice. Now, I just pick and choose when and where I want to sit. If nothing comes up that satisfies, I enjoy it on the telly. I applaud all current STHers, but this just works out way better for me at this point in my life. I can easily afford it, but I don't think I'll ever go back to where I was before. The Oilers just helped me make up my mind earlier.
As a fan of the team this is a post that really scares me. To have tickets for 40 years and to give that up because there isn’t value for money anymore. Organizations that alienate long time fans will find themselves in serious trouble.

As an aside, I think the current “loilty” campaign is awful and incredibly patronizing. If you want loyalty, earn it. Don’t try to be clever by morphing the team name into the word and rolling out a stupid flag during the national anthem.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As a fan of the team this is a post that really scares me. To have tickets for 40 years and to give that up because there isn’t value for money anymore. Organizations that alienate long time fans will find themselves in serious trouble.

As an aside, I think the current “loilty” campaign is awful and incredibly patronizing. If you want loyalty, earn it. Don’t try to be clever by morphing the team name into the word and rolling out a stupid flag during the national anthem.
We do think alike on this. I did mock the loilty flag a few times but moreso thought it was rather insulting to have it out at the same time as the Flag. I always thought if I was there I would pass the flag but drop the loilty banner. Seemed so self serving of the org to have this. Grandiose even, courting it with our national flag.

I wonder too on such things as Military appreciation nights if having the loilty flag out there during the anthem and flag flying isn't a bit disrespectful.

In anycase I learn to enjoy such things as the loilty flag and "Eskimos Empire" type rollouts as they immediately communicate, really advertise, how inept the orgs are that perpetrate these. They have unintended beneficial effects. They teach us we should wave goodbye. They tell us we are shopping in a Target store for happiness and joy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Some will read this kind of post and be sad. I see it as a joy of exploring and appreciating and spending time with other things in life and not the uniform 41games a year in the same seats with the same limited experience that Oilers hockey brings.

It seemed a longtime coming, but you're converted, heh. I gave up these Oilers things primarily back in the 90's, came back briefly in 05-06 and then walked away again. I seriously have not attended an Oilers game in the new arena. I went to one last one at Rexall before the team moved, but more to say goodbye to the arena than to watch the Oilers.

I'll still watch on telly, and write about them, but thats the extent of connection now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some will read this kind of post and be sad. I see it as a joy of exploring and appreciating and spending time with other things in life and not the uniform 41games a year in the same seats with the same limited experience that Oilers hockey brings.

It seemed a longtime coming, but you're converted, heh. I gave up these Oilers things primarily back in the 90's, came back briefly in 05-06 and then walked away again. I seriously have not attended an Oilers game in the new arena. I went to one last one at Rexall before the team moved, but more to say goodbye to the arena than to watch the Oilers.

I'll still watch on telly, and write about them, but thats the extent of connection now.
You interpreted my post correctly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You interpreted my post correctly.

We were both lucky enough to see the best time in Oilers hockey. To me that's also what ironically made it easy to walk away. Things like that generally come once in a lifetime through one outlet if you are lucky. The Oilers had that great time, we got to experience it, I attended two cup winning games, you probably saw more in person, but those were great times. Nothing will ever be better than the Oilers winning in game 7 of the SC final at home.

But like we've discovered theres a lot of other great things to do instead of go to Oilers games which isn't all that great now. Its like people keep thinking it will return to some sort of Camelot magic time. Even if it ever did it will ironically be easier to get tickets by then. Its really odd but in the time it takes for something like this to turn around by the time it does demand is reduced. Demand is reduced right now. For 30 bucks I could go to the Oilers game against LA on Tuesday. This being reminiscent of the 15-20bucks it would take to buy a ticket from a desperate scalper in the 90's. Accounting for inflation its probably the same price. But I can't even be bothered to go. In the new arena its money for parking, more for concessions, inconvenient, and just takes longer to get to. So I'll just watch at home.

The latter rationale being why people can't even give tickets away. Theres no real compelling reason to go.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We were both lucky enough to see the best time in Oilers hockey. To me that's also what ironically made it easy to walk away. Things like that generally come once in a lifetime through one outlet if you are lucky. The Oilers had that great time, we got to experience it, I attended two cup winning games, you probably saw more in person, but those were great times. Nothing will ever be better than the Oilers winning in game 7 of the SC final at home.

But like we've discovered theres a lot of other great things to do instead of go to Oilers games which isn't all that great now. Its like people keep thinking it will return to some sort of Camelot magic time. Even if it ever did it will ironically be easier to get tickets by then. Its really odd but in the time it takes for something like this to turn around by the time it does demand is reduced. Demand is reduced right now. For 30 bucks I could go to the Oilers game against LA on Tuesday. This being reminiscent of the 15-20bucks it would take to buy a ticket from a desperate scalper in the 90's. Accounting for inflation its probably the same price. But I can't even be bothered to go. In the new arena its money for parking, more for concessions, inconvenient, and just takes longer to get to. So I'll just watch at home.

The latter rationale being why people can't even give tickets away. Theres no real compelling reason to go.
Just to add to this.
After you make the decision to walk away and you find other things to do, the thought of actually going to the trouble of going to a game rarely ever crosses your mind anymore. Once a die hard fan leaves, they’re gone for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad