Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
As a STH if I'm paying $80 for tickets and buying 41 of them plus 4 games I have ZERO interest in and I could just buy casual seats for $80 and go when I want - why would I buy 41 of them?

The reason people complain about horrible resale values is that it dawns on them they didn't need to buy all those tickets at face value when market value is cheaper and more efficient. Going to a game for $80 and sitting next to someone who bought for $35 is not a great feeling.

If Oilers (or any pro sports team) loses it's STH they are toast financially.

I think this is kind of an insular view, tbh, and is perhaps opening a can of worms you don't want to open.

How do you think the guy at the leafs Oilers game that spent 650 bucks on his seat when you spent 80? How do you feel about it?

Do you want to play that game on all your seats? Idk... I'm not a STH for reasons already stated as not to be discussed, but the last number of year's ive purchased minipacks which were entirely subsidized by selling the high value games. If you start playing that game you lose your entire ability to game that market.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I have to assume this is a preemptive move aimed at STH to renew. Given how badly they **** the bed the past 2 years and a bad economy expected this coming year, they have to do more than just show up to retain ticket holders.

Listening to Friedman this morning on a podcast, he was saying he expects 2-3 years of patience will be required for the next GM to dig us out of this mess. Perhaps this will become the norm rather than taking STH for granted. They need to offer them far more, given this will be 12 years out of 13 not in the playoffs.
this is the first time they've ever this correct?
this isn't coincidence, they are well aware the STH base is dwindling and people are angry...the days of selling hope are long over and the fanbase isn't gullible anymore

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
this is the first time they've ever this correct?
this isn't coincidence, they are well aware the STH base is dwindling and people are angry...the days of selling hope are long over and the fanbase isn't gullible anymore

I don’t recall anything like this before.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Total prizes cost them a couple thousand bucks. Airfare is the greatest expense.

Ten out of fifteen thousand people will win.

A marketers dream if this works.

Where do you get the total cost of $2000 from? They are giving away $2000 in drinks and food for the 2 suites alone never mind no revenue from selling said suites which are something like $8000 a game or more iirc. Loge tables for those concerts are in around $1000 each plus the food and bev credits. Add it all up and it’s not cheap.

Feel free to criticize but at least be honest.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Where do you get the total cost of $2000 from? They are giving away $2000 in drinks and food for the 2 suites alone never mind no revenue from selling said suites which are something like $8000 a game or more iirc. Loge tables for those concerts are in around $1000 each plus the food and bev credits. Add it all up and it’s not cheap.

I am.

Do you really think the food and drinks cost them $2,000? Their costs are maybe a couple hundred. The waiters etc. are already there.

Pretty sure Lowe is on the payroll so such meet and greets cost them nothing. Same with concerts.

Obviously the suites/STHs' aren't doing very well. Hence the free night. Are you talking full retail prices on those seats or the amounts they are going for now? Sounds like there are some empty one's for next year. Unsold = Zero

We are talking a few thousand dollars on a 100 million dollar revenue team. Sure, the few thousand total might reach 7 or 8. Still a few thousand in my books all things considered.

I guess a ten in fifteen thousand chance to win isn't bad, but I've been waiting a decade or so to buy again. This package wont bring me back.

Others will obviously feel differently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am.

Do you really think the food and drinks cost them $2,000? Their costs are maybe a couple hundred. The waiters etc. are already there.

Pretty sure Lowe is on the payroll so such meet and greets cost them nothing. Same with concerts.

Obviously the suites/STHs' aren't doing very well. Hence the free night. Are you talking full retail prices on those seats or the amounts they are going for now? Sounds like there are some empty one's for next year. Unsold = Zero

We are talking a few thousand dollars on a 100 million dollar revenue team. Sure, the few thousand total might reach 7 or 8. Still a few thousand in my books all things considered.

I guess a ten in fifteen thousand chance to win isn't bad, but I've been waiting a decade or so to buy again. This package wont bring me back.

Agree with you on this. Its obviously honest to look at provider cost in food and beverage, which of course is significantly low. The airfare to Vegas maybe they pimp you out on the same charter which would be cool in anycase. The rooms would be bought in volume anyway and with discounted rates. The Concerts would be lower demand and in the past concerts had to reserve a certain amount of seats anyway, in the industry that is an empty seat buffer due to "complaint seating".

Not many people notice that venues always set aside a few hundred empty seats for concerts. So its actually really a good idea to buy "obstruction" seats because then you can legitimately complain about your seating and they exchange your seats, no questions asked, usually for very good seats. I've done this half a dozen times. Just show up when the doors open. Exchange your seats after you get in. So basically these could be just giving away some of the seats they don't sell in the first place.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I am.

In my opinion you have to count cost as revenue lost. Paying customers will pay $8k for a suite and say $1k for the food/bev. Revenue lost equates to 9k on one suite per game vs the hard cost.

They are giving away time related experiences and you never get time back so the true cost is lost revenue and not the hard costs on fixed items.

Granted these are unsold suites and tables but it’s still lost revenue opportunity used for promotion. And in the end what does their “cost” matter? These are all great prizes available to STH.

I agree it would not influence my decision one way or the other but it’s a reasonable way to say thank you to STH by affording the opportunity at a great - and in some cases - once in a lifetime opportunity.

Either way I find it hard to criticize the team for doing this. No matter what their true or perceived costs are.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
These are all the prizes: (sorry for bold type, Just a copy and paste, tried to edit it and the formatting went out the window...iPad has limitations)

OILERS IN VEGAS EXPERIENCE
  • Round-trip flights for two from Edmonton to Las Vegas
  • Two-night luxury stay in Las Vegas
  • Two tickets to watch the Oilers vs Golden Knights on April 1, 2019
  • Meet and Greet with Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Keith Gretzky
SUMMER GOLF EXPERIENCE IN TORONTO WITH SAM GAGNER

Round-trip flights for two from Edmonton to Toronto
One-night luxury stay in Toronto
Play a round of golf with Sam Gagner
STUDIO 99 DINING EXPERIENCE (MARCH 29, 2019)

• You and a guest will dine in Studio 99 for a private gourmet lunch, personally prepared by Executive Chef Antonio Tardi
  • Watch Oilers practice
  • Meet and Greet with Darnell Nurse including a signed Oilers jersey
OILERS TRAINING DAY EXPERIENCE

• A private training session with Simon Bennett, Oilers Director of Strength and Conditioning and Founder of Archetype, for you and a guest in the Oilers training facility
  • Head-to-toe Oilers workout gear
  • Meet and Greet with Milan Lucic including a signed Oilers Jersey
OILERS MEDIA EXPERIENCE (MARCH 26, 2019)

• You and a guest can watch the Oilers practice with Jack Michaels and Bob Stauffer
  • Watch Bob Stauffer live on "Oilers NOW" radio program
  • Watch the Oilers game from the Press Level in Rogers Place
  • Access to post-game media conference in the Oilers Hockey Hall of Fame room
OILERS GAME DAY EXPERIENCE (MARCH 28, 2019)

• Eight lower bowl seats for the Oilers vs Stars game
  • Private dinner in Studio 99, hosted by Kevin Lowe and a member of the Oilers Alumni
  • PLUS, pre-game Oilers tunnel viewing
OILERS SUITE EXPERIENCE (APRIL 4, 2019)

• A Scotiabank Suite for you and 24 friends to watch the Oilers vs Sharks game
  • $1,000 credit for food and drinks
OIL KINGS SUITE EXPERIENCE (MARCH 24, 2019)

• A Scotiabank Suite for you and 24 friends for Game 2 of Oil Kings playoffs
  • $1,000 credit for food and drinks
ARIANA GRANDE EXPERIENCE (APRIL 25, 2019)
  • A Rogers Place Loge table for you and three friends to see Ariana Grande
    • $250 credit for food and drinks
CARRIE UNDERWOOD EXPERIENCE (MAY 28, 2019)

• Rogers Place Loge table for you and three friends to see Carrie Underwood
    • $250 credit for food and drinks

All very cool prizes but it sucks that it took the team being where it is (again) for them to try to cater to the fans like this. These types of things should be automatic on a year to year basis. Hopefully at least one of these prizes goes to someone on HF :)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
All very cool prizes but it sucks that it took the team being where it is (again) for them to try to cater to the fans like this. These types of things should be automatic on a year to year basis. Hopefully at least one of these prizes goes to someone on HF :)

I put all my tokens** in for the San Jose suite giveaway as I get back that afternoon . If I win your invited along with @guymez (he and I have met and been to a few games together since, great fella) and maybe some others here as I dont think I can round up 24 people on short notice LOL.

**were given “tokens” to put towards the prizes you most wanted to win.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I put all my tokens** in for the San Jose suite giveaway as I get back that afternoon . If I win your invited along with @guymez (he and I have met and been to a few games together since, great fella) and maybe some others here as I dont think I can round up 24 people on short notice LOL.

That is very nice of you, however I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so I can't just get into my vehicle and drive there :)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thanks for the consideration. :)

That would be a blast...here's hoping!

OilRick

Mar 16, 2004
Northern Alberta

Soundwave is probably available.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Food and drink costs them nowhere near 2k. They pay cost for that crap. And I guarantee you that Katz been Katz, the Box they are using is one that would be empty anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad