Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just to add to this.
After you make the decision to walk away and you find other things to do, the thought of actually going to the trouble of going to a game rarely ever crosses your mind anymore. Once a die hard fan leaves, they’re gone for good.

Katz couldn't care less. None of this matters until he is gone. He, very obviously, couldn't give 2 shits about the fan base or winning.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I had ST's for over 40 years until this year, and honestly, I like where I'm at now. Have gone to a couple games at a reduced price (drink rail both times - I spoiled us!) I enjoy the experience of a live event, but having so many games just got to be too much. Combine that with the consistent of lack value for cost, and it was an easy choice. Now, I just pick and choose when and where I want to sit. If nothing comes up that satisfies, I enjoy it on the telly. I applaud all current STHers, but this just works out way better for me at this point in my life. I can easily afford it, but I don't think I'll ever go back to where I was before. The Oilers just helped me make up my mind earlier.

Makes perfect sense.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As a fan of the team this is a post that really scares me. To have tickets for 40 years and to give that up because there isn’t value for money anymore. Organizations that alienate long time fans will find themselves in serious trouble.

As an aside, I think the current “loilty” campaign is awful and incredibly patronizing. If you want loyalty, earn it. Don’t try to be clever by morphing the team name into the word and rolling out a stupid flag during the national anthem.

Agreed, I posted a few days ago that the number of 20+ years long STH that have said they are bailing out this year sounds like it will be huge. Those loyal (loil ?) customers are nearly impossible to win back and irreplaceable.

And I totally agree with your take about the Loilty campaign.

How about a winning season for the second time in 30 years? Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeYEG and Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I had ST's for over 40 years until this year, and honestly, I like where I'm at now. Have gone to a couple games at a reduced price (drink rail both times - I spoiled us!) I enjoy the experience of a live event, but having so many games just got to be too much. Combine that with the consistent of lack value for cost, and it was an easy choice. Now, I just pick and choose when and where I want to sit. If nothing comes up that satisfies, I enjoy it on the telly. I applaud all current STHers, but this just works out way better for me at this point in my life. I can easily afford it, but I don't think I'll ever go back to where I was before. The Oilers just helped me make up my mind earlier.

Does this mean that you've officially hit old fart status? I'm well on my way to joining you FWIW :)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just to add to this.
After you make the decision to walk away and you find other things to do, the thought of actually going to the trouble of going to a game rarely ever crosses your mind anymore. Once a die hard fan leaves, they’re gone for good.
Very true, and in my case, absolutely. Still a sucker to watch though and always will be. Just not nearly as much.

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Wow - so you got in around 1994 - the first real low-point in Oilers history. Why'd you buy in then? Any perks (beside on ice competency) that you regret them taking away over the years?

I bought them because they seemed reasonably priced and the Oilers needed the support in those years. I also got them to give some to my Dad who held tickets from Year 1 of the WHA but who gave his up after the 1991-92 Season and Messier leaving since he said that was the final straw. We were such fans that we took the chartered buses to Calgary to see the special Play-Off Game against the Minnesota Fighting Saints in 1973.

My original ones were Executive Terrace in the Oilers Attack End (Now known as the Pass-it-around-aimlessly-especially-during-a-Power-Play End) and at the very first game a deflection hit the guy's shoulder right in front of us!

In 2006 I went to Raleigh for Games 2 and 7 with tickets I got from StubHub.

I moved to the Blues for the last season at Rexall and am currently in the "Pass-it-around-aimlessly..." end since Rogers opened in Upper Bowl Aisle seats near the top. Ticked that I I had to pay more for an Aisle pair that isn't any wider than any other Upper Bowl and with a pitch not steep enough to see over the person in front of me. Price increases have seen the cost of my two seats triple since I first got my Executive Terrace ones.

At least in the 1990's we made the play-offs occasionally.

With the imminent price increase and the fact that my pair will probably exceed $10,000.00, enough is enough.

I will buy a few games from a friend in the Lower Bowl but will not support the dumpster fire any longer.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Dave Jamieson saying the Oilers are indeed raising prices this year? I know I really shouldn't be surprised but what a joke.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Just got an email from my account rep, renewals to go out mid April.
I was thanked for my continued passion and LOILTY. Barf.

Reactions: Yeah15

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I’ve been a STH for 31 years now and this will be the final year. I have to agree with your post on all fronts. The wife and I will do more travelling from now on and I’m looking forward to that. I actually miss the old building, location, and the feel the game used to have there. Oh well, 2 more home games for me and maybe a few games a year in the future. Go Oilers!

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
Dave Jamieson saying the Oilers are indeed raising prices this year? I know I really shouldn't be surprised but what a joke.
If true it would be a big mistake. I’m holding out hope that prices flatline this year and they actually lower concession prices as a mea culpa. I know it’s unlikely but if the organization had any common sense this is what they would do. Unfortunately it’s the Oilers.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
If true it would be a big mistake. I’m holding out hope that prices flatline this year and they actually lower concession prices as a mea culpa. I know it’s unlikely but if the organization had any common sense this is what they would do. Unfortunately it’s the Oilers.

At the very least they should offer up an extra few hundred Oilers bucks to offset the concession prices. They saved about $1.7M in the inaugural season when they stiffed all the STHers with zero Oilers bucks.

$100/seat to makeup for the first season. Another $100 for the tire fire the last two years have been. The usual $100 we are accustomed to getting. That's $7.50/game/seat in discounts for concessions.

That to me is the least they can do. Especially since they could reserve it for current seat holders as a thank you for sticking around.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Then they would have to change their Oilers-esque logo and sell the company like they did Rexall due to negative association to the Oilers circus.....instead of fixing the problem..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did they try explaining that to you guys?
The one responsible owned it. The name escapes me at the moment. It wasn't Nicholson it was one of the marketing guys. He acknowledged the mistake, said it was stupid to do, and owned it in that many words.

I called it out when I saw the Cyber Monday sale on tickets. I said the team can't do that without rumbles from season ticket holders. The tickets were reduced 40%.

How come an average monkey online gets this, that it would anger the STH base, and the big pay wigs in Oilers org didn't get it.

post # 131 ftr.

I should be in the media calling this shit out in realtime.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Did they try explaining that to you guys?

I can’t remember his name but I read that he was on one of the panels and he took the responsibility for that and apologized to STH saying it won’t happen again.

They will have to get creative with their marketing as sell outs are not going to just happen anymore here and they can’t discount ticket prices to draw fans.

Maybe we can look forward to a Katz bobble head night and a MacTavish T-Shirt toss.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
The one responsible owned it. The name escapes me at the moment. It wasn't Nicholson it was one of the marketing guys. He acknowledged the mistake, said it was stupid to do, and owned it in that many words.

I called it out when I saw the Cyber Monday sale on tickets. I said the team can't do that without rumbles from season ticket holders. The tickets were reduced 40%.

How come an average monkey online gets this, that it would anger the STH base, and the big pay wigs in Oilers org didn't get it.

post # 131 ftr.

I should be in the media calling this **** out in realtime.
It was Stu McDonald. He has been running tickets for the Oilers for 20 plus years. He made a rookie mistake as a long time marketing veteran. Don’t feel bad for him, he’s tight with the obc so his job is tenured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad