Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
Looks like I was wrong, I went back and looked because I was curious after this conversation. The Oilers place a value on the pre season games and I don't which is why my number shows a bit higher. I calculate my tickets to be worth $157.85, however the Oilers say they are $151.54 with the pre-season games as $64.72.

The price range they gave me was from $152 - $235.

STH used to be 40% off face value. It looks like the discount is 20% off face value now.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
pretty funny if the OEG have the audacity to raise season ticket prices next year considering the product this organization craps out every year

not sure that's gonna happen, but they really are clueless
What would be more clueless is people ponying up lol

There is no gun sent to ticket holders....

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If they can’t be resold for cost, or even close to cost, doesn’t that mean they’re over-priced?
It depends on how you look at it. When I was a season ticket holder I placed a value on having access to my seats every game. My plan was never to sell a bunch to help pay for them. If I had planned to do that I would have looked for someone to share them with me from the get go. But others may look at it differently and given the cost today it's not really up to me to criticize them. But the team will try to maximize revenue and I doubt they will ever try and make the secondary market attractive for ticket buyers. And I also had the luxury of holding my tickets when the team was mostly great.

My guess is that in 2016-2017 there was little problem selling tickets for cost. And I bet you that a lot of people have made money selling tickets this year to games involving popular teams. But if the team is bad as the Oilers have been so many times its going to be tough. So each season is really a new adventure I guess. This makes holding a season ticket a little like holding a stock. You ride the ups and downs hoping that in the end the ups will out weigh the downs. Like a bad stock unfortunately, the Oilers management is not up to the task of managing this company the way it should be.

In the end I think all NHL games in Canada are over priced in terms of entertainment value for the dollar. I go to about 4-6 games a year usually. Fewer this year since When I was in town the team was away most of the time. I buy tickets on the secondary market and I pay face value or a bit less most of the time. I can't say the games have been fully worth the money but for me its a price I am willing to pay. And McDavid makes it at least a closer call.

Reactions: rboomercat90

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I understand why people today do sell some to make the packages more affordable but I must say that I do not see why there should be an expectation of selling those tickets above what the SHT paid for them. If you can great, but why should the club price their tickets so STH make a profit?

As a STH if I'm paying $80 for tickets and buying 41 of them plus 4 games I have ZERO interest in and I could just buy casual seats for $80 and go when I want - why would I buy 41 of them?

The reason people complain about horrible resale values is that it dawns on them they didn't need to buy all those tickets at face value when market value is cheaper and more efficient. Going to a game for $80 and sitting next to someone who bought for $35 is not a great feeling.

If Oilers (or any pro sports team) loses it's STH they are toast financially.

Climber17

Oct 11, 2018
As a season ticket holder I don’t own my seats to make money. That being said I can only go to about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the games and I don’t want to lose money on the remaining games. I will not be renewing my season tickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nonamee

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I would not be surprised that is the reason they are holding onto the renewals, that a 5-10% hike is coming. They will espouse the increased salary cap and need to be competitive in player acquisition, and noting the new GM they hire (they will hire a new GM before renewals is why I think they are taking their time on sending renewals out), the teams fantastic play in the last 6 weeks of the season as being a reason for optimism. As well, being on the front burner for Oilers playoff tickets, the World Juniors and other events they have planned like the All Star Game and NHL Draft.

Not sure I see value there. At best you get front of the line access but if they jack prices like they did in 2012 when the tournament was here - what is the advantage? If all i want is Team Canada games I could probably buy the handful I want to see on the seconadary market, pay a premium and still save money vs buying all the tickets including Czechs vs Switzerland. Those games can be had for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: Yeah15

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not sure I see value there. At best you get front of the line access but if they jack prices like they did in 2012 when the tournament was here - what is the advantage? If all i want is Team Canada games I could probably buy the handful I want to see on the seconadary market, pay a premium and still save money vs buying all the tickets including Czechs vs Switzerland. Those games can be had for pennies on the dollar.

I am not trying to justify any increase but merely saying what the Oilers would be saying to justify it. Either way I will go to all the WJC games like I did in 2012. Nothing like 2 games a day for a week!

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
They have already given you a substantial discount off of the retail price to purchase tickets for each game.
Actually this year Fourier several games have been listed for sale by the Oilers (not talking about the secondary market nor the cyber Monday flash sale here) BELOW STH cost ... they are using dynamic pricing for the first time, to the best of my knowledge, now this year.

Last edited:

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Yup I took an average of the retail prices and got exactly 20% off as well.
But what the Oilers indicated was the retail value at the beginning of the season does not mesh with what they actually had seats listed for at times for many of the games throughout the season. Some were below STH cost and their fees are much lower than the secondary market Ticketmaster fees

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
As a season ticket holder I don’t own my seats to make money. That being said I can only go to about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the games and I don’t want to lose money on the remaining games. I will not be renewing my season tickets.
Here Here!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Actually this year Fourier several games have been listed for sale by the Oilers (not yed about the secondary market nor the cyber Monday flash sale here) BELOW STH cost ... they are using dynamic pricing for the first time, to the best of my knowledge, now this year.
That would really tick me off if I was a STH. They should never price individual games below the price paid by STH'ers. Even if it is only the odd game it creates a sense that they are being disrespectful of STH'ers.

Again, I have no issue with people not renewing because the product is not worth the money. In fact I think that this is exactly the message the team needs to hear. This management group has been buoyed by a fan base that has put up with a ridiculous amount of losing. I suspect they have fooled themselves into reading full or nearly full houses as being a sign that they are doing a good job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol and Oildrum

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I am not trying to justify any increase but merely saying what the Oilers would be saying to justify it. Either way I will go to all the WJC games like I did in 2012. Nothing like 2 games a day for a week!

Ah. Understood. Apologies for tone. My 6 and 1 year olds kicked the stuffing out of me.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
This thread used to be mostly about season ticket holder information. It's really turned in to a gripe thread with heavy doses of judgment from non season ticket holders about the morality of being one. It's unfortunate.

There is a lot to gripe about and very little information to share and discuss.

Ideally people are less fed up with prices and team performance next year and more interested in discussing special events, giveaways and theme nights.

Oct 15, 2008
This thread used to be mostly about season ticket holder information. It's really turned in to a gripe thread with heavy doses of judgment from non season ticket holders about the morality of being one. It's unfortunate.

The team used to list winning among its priorities, now that’s been passed over in favour of preserving jobs for incompetent nincompoops, and if anyone dares to step out of line and express their frustration with the current state of affairs they are met with heavy doses of judgement from OEG PR shills. It’s quite sad actually.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I get the griping. I don't get the virtue signalling.

Reactions: madmutter

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Super exciting news, you can now print out your ticket 96 hours before the game rather than 48 hours. Glad to see them coming out with both water pistols a'squirting in their campaign to keep season ticket holders.
I had a good laugh about that one too, way to keep moving backwards in time Oilers.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Just for fun, was checking out prices on ticketmaster for next weeks games vs NYR and NJ.

Prices as low as $38.00

Cheapest seat for Oilers game in Arizona next Saturday. $58.00.

It's amazing how much bad management can effect a franchise. Never thought I would see a day when it was cheaper to watch a game in Edmonton than Arizona.

The damage guys like Chiarelli and Nicholson have caused this franchise is absolutely stunning. Of course, this despite having the most exciting player in hockey.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
As far as I'm concerned this thread is for season ticket holders exchanging information or queries of that nature.

People don't need to be told how to spend their money. Focus on your own bank account.

Tier 1 fans, use the report function.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Appears the Oilers doing a full court press to retain STH. Just got an email tonight announcing that they have 10 STH experiences they are drawing for, from a suite for the Sharks game to Loge concert tickets to meet and greets w various Oilers after practices or in Vegas w McDavid Draisatl and K Gretzky (our next GM). Really about time. They’ve taken STH for granted for a long time. This is a nice gesture at the very least. Too bad I am away for most of them.

Either way looks pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad