Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
HA! You got me. You are indeed correct. I'm probably being gullible.

That said, I have done my research at other arenas and found similar seats hold their resale value quite well. I noticed last year in Detroit at Little Ceasars Arena many tickets were heavily discounted...except the drink rails in sections 201-205.

Even these last two years my tickets go for above face value - I can count on one hand the number of discounted seats I've sold below my cost and usually its been because they were last minute sales offers.

Where are your seats? 4 friends in different sections of the arena, some lower bowl some upper all except drink rail are heavily in the red on resale last two years (not last minute sales either).

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
They may have to force the people on the wait list to purchase this coming year. A lot of people pass on the option and just stay on the list, presumably waiting for the Oilers to actually get good before they purchase seasons tickets. I think it's like $50-$100 to stay on the list which is considerably better than getting 50% - 75% cost back on most nights, or like last night <30% of your ticket cost back on resale.

If I had to guess i'd say with the current pricing of seats if the Oilers were consistently a playoff team (lol...) SSH would be close to break-even, which is to say this is max pricing while transferring all risk to the fanbase. I think we are finally getting to the end of the goodwill this fanbase has for the Oilers. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

I think it is also the advancement of the technology we have today.

If I wasn't a STH/SSH and wanted to see a game I'd just go on an app and buy the cheapest seats I could find an hour or so before the game. Especially when the team sucks.

That gives A LOT of leverage to the buyer. Albeit, even if the Oilers were magnanimous enough to slash prices (say 50% for this example) chances are the SSH owning those seats would probably adjust their floor and re-sale prices would still drop below face value.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
HA! You got me. You are indeed correct. I'm probably being gullible.

That said, I have done my research at other arenas and found similar seats hold their resale value quite well. I noticed last year in Detroit at Little Ceasars Arena many tickets were heavily discounted...except the drink rails in sections 201-205.

Even these last two years my tickets go for above face value - I can count on one hand the number of discounted seats I've sold below my cost and usually its been because they were last minute sales offers.
Ya. Those drink rail seats are awesome. You are lucky to be getting face value. There were a pair of 250 dollar tickets for last nights game going for 50 bucks a pop. Row five. Still unsold yesterday afternoon. Not sure if they sold or not.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Ya. Those drink rail seats are awesome. You are lucky to be getting face value. There were a pair of 250 dollar tickets for last nights game going for 50 bucks a pop. Row five. Still unsold yesterday afternoon. Not sure if they sold or not.

The one bit of good news about a potential mass exodus of SSH is that in time, not immediately for a variety of reason, the Oilers should examine re-jigging some their upper bowl.

I'd make the upper bowl seats larger by an inch or so. I'd also make sure each seat a half inch of breathing room between them. You lose total seats, but you retain bums in those seats. What is the point of so many seats if they aren't sold out?

Not sure if they'd even consider this but it's what I'd do if I owned the team.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Sat in Section 130, row 27 last night. Can't believe how narrow and uncomfortable the seats are. I'm not a big guy but had to sit partially sideways to have enough shoulder room. Pretty sad for such a "state of the art" building.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sat in Section 130, row 27 last night. Can't believe how narrow and uncomfortable the seats are. I'm not a big guy but had to sit partially sideways to have enough shoulder room. Pretty sad for such a "state of the art" building.

Try the seats in Detroit. They are so narrow as to be uncomfortable. I have been to half of the arenas in the league and countless other venues. By far the narrowest and most uncomfortable seats I’ve been in and that was in their Loge section. The guys sitting beside me say the team is reviewing changing them. They squeezed too many in and people stay and watch in one of the 6 arena restaurants and bars to watch and the players complain of a glare coming off the empty seats as so many ppl don’t sit in their seats. That is the newest - and nicest - arena in the league.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013

I am lucky my wife loves hockey so I can go with her and steal part of her seat. I have a few friends that I can't even comfortably attend games with because we and are squeezed into our seats (none of us are bigger than average). Same problem with my previous seats as well, really annoying but I know it's not unique to Rogers Places at all. I've heard the Rogers Centre is really bad but I've never been to a Jays game.

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Have had 2 seats since 1995 and if prices go up I doubt that I can keep the people with whom I share.

Firm has Loge and less than a 50% chance of agreeing to another 3-year escalating licence.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I was looking at Red Wings on Stubhub earlier today (no particular reason, just curious how their resale market is holding up) and I noticed almost every second game if not every game had some sort of promotion. Calanders, Bobblehead dolls, giveaways. How many of those do we get here? Maybe home-opener you get something. Aside from that it is pretty sparse.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was looking at Red Wings on Stubhub earlier today (no particular reason, just curious how their resale market is holding up) and I noticed almost every second game if not every game had some sort of promotion. Calanders, Bobblehead dolls, giveaways. How many of those do we get here? Maybe home-opener you get something. Aside from that it is pretty sparse.

Home opener you get that crappy Scotiabank scarf they give to every Canadian team on opening night. I honestly do not know the last time there was any promotion for seats but why do you need them if the seats are all sold out?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Home opener you get that crappy Scotiabank scarf they give to every Canadian team on opening night. I honestly do not know the last time there was any promotion for seats but why do you need them if the seats are all sold out?

I have a feeling next year they'll be needing them quite a bit.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I only grabbed some highlights but it appeared there were a great many empty seats last night.

Strange for a Saturday night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This raises an interesting point. Because it was stated that the top and lower bowl seats were all bigger and wider than the ones at Rexall and with more knee room. I find this not to be the case. I think some creative measuring went on. I think they are more cramped.

Hey people. Get STH seats at Citadel Theater. 30-60bucks a night pricing range. Seats are all nice, views are great, Aisles so wide you don't even have to get up when someone is passing by and no in/out DURING the performance so you don't have people passing and interrupting your view all the time. That alone is so enjoyable.

At one time at hockey games people would never get up and obstruct somebody elses view during the play. People would get up at intermission or wait for a whistle. Anything else would be considered rude. Now its the rule that people get up whenever their attention span wanders. Sometimes just to take selfies during play. f***.

Drinks also much cheaper at Citadel. Premium performances and we've had STH for close to 10 years now and enjoy 90% of the performances.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This raises an interesting point. Because it was stated that the top and lower bowl seats were all bigger and wider than the ones at Rexall and with more knee room. I find this not to be the case. I think some creative measuring went on. I think they are more cramped.

Hey people. Get STH seats at Citadel Theater. 30-60bucks a night pricing range. Seats are all nice, views are great, Aisles so wide you don't even have to get up when someone is passing by and no in/out DURING the performance so you don't have people passing and interrupting your view all the time. That alone is so enjoyable.

At one time at hockey games people would never get up and obstruct somebody elses view during the play. People would get up at intermission or wait for a whistle. Anything else would be considered rude. Now its the rule that people get up whenever their attention span wanders. Sometimes just to take selfies during play. ****.

Drinks also much cheaper at Citadel. Premium performances and we've had STH for close to 10 years now and enjoy 90% of the performances.
We used our money to get ST at Stage West at the Mayfield Inn. Great entertainment and talent on display and the food is awesome. And I ALWAYS walk out of there feeling good and not feel like I've been ripped off. My blood pressure is low when I leave and I'm in a good mood.

Reactions: EagerPug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We used our money to get ST at Stage West at the Mayfield Inn. Great entertainment and talent on display and the food is awesome. And I ALWAYS walk out of there feeling good and not feel like I've been ripped off. My blood pressure is low when I leave and I'm in a good mood.

Prior to Citadel we were going to Stage West. Good facility, food, seating, and the performances are good. You get some of the same cast and actors in different theaters in this city and a lot of good ones. The only thing that we found is that Stagewest productions can tend to be of a certain variety. I can't think of the word. But more typical dinner theater. Its a bit more backdrop as entertainment while people are eating.

Been going to Theater since the 80's and including the Fringe. But I like polished production and staging more so Citadel and Stage West are better. As we get older we like Theater more and more, go to more shows every year.

A lot of the Citadel performances are tbh more memorable. The kind of productions that make you think. More drama, and more plays featuring drama, music, comedy all on one.

Both are wins, and both are better than going to pro hockey now, but we prefer the Citadel just for the range of productions.

Plus we don't eat as much anymore. Buffets are a waste for us as we're one plate people now (metabolism changed) So we'll just hit up somewhere DT before the play.

For sure one thing I like about the Citadel more is being much closer to the stage and performers. We have fantastic seats in Shoctor theater. So close you can see actors blink.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Prior to Citadel we were going to Stage West. Good facility, food, seating, and the performances are good. You get some of the same cast and actors in different theaters in this city and a lot of good ones. The only thing that we found is that Stagewest productions can tend to be of a certain variety. I can't think of the word. But more typical dinner theater. Its a bit more backdrop as entertainment while people are eating.

Been going to Theater since the 80's and including the Fringe. But I like polished production and staging more so Citadel and Stage West are better. As we get older we like Theater more and more, go to more shows every year.

A lot of the Citadel performances are tbh more memorable. The kind of productions that make you think. More drama, and more plays featuring drama, music, comedy all on one.

Both are wins, and both are better than going to pro hockey now, but we prefer the Citadel just for the range of productions.

Plus we don't eat as much anymore. Buffets are a waste for us as we're one plate people now (metabolism changed) So we'll just hit up somewhere DT before the play.

For sure one thing I like about the Citadel more is being much closer to the stage and performers. We have fantastic seats in Shoctor theater. So close you can see actors blink.
No doubt, Stage West is lighter fare for productions. Really enjoy the musicals (especially stuff like The 80's, Canadian artists, etc). Just a small correction, the eating part happens before the entertainment, not during. Although we usually load up a plate of fruit, cheese and some desert to snack on once the play starts. Took my wife on our very first date to the Citadel and the play was Brighton Beach Memoirs. Great time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No doubt, Stage West is lighter fare for productions. Really enjoy the musicals (especially stuff like The 80's, Canadian artists, etc). Just a small correction, the eating part happens before the entertainment, not during. Although we usually load up a plate of fruit, cheese and some desert to snack on once the play starts. Took my wife on our very first date to the Citadel and the play was Brighton Beach Memoirs. Great time.

One of the things I like at Stage West is how they have decades of previous actors on plaques on the walls. Some old favorites there. They had a real pipeline of Hollywood actors come in for performances and a lot of really good ones. They got away from that concept. Not that you need film actors/actresses on stage but it gave the productions another level having a star cast member. They used to go in more for dramatic and typical theater performances back in the 70's and 80's before they started doing all production numbers.

Anyway its good to talk to people here that appreciate Theater as well.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I only grabbed some highlights but it appeared there were a great many empty seats last night.

Strange for a Saturday night.
Not strange considering it's the boring Ducks and no McDavid. Even friday/saturday night hockey has a breaking point it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if people are starting to realize that the Golden Bears or a local junior team are more fun/cheaper on a weekend than the embarrassment usually on display at Rogers Place.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seats at Rexall were 18 inches wide. Seats at Rogers are 19". Extra wide aisle seats are 22"

Well that's what they state. I think its invented. The seats seem equal to or smaller. But a lot of other factors go into whether people feel more cramped at Rogers (they do) and including the incline in upper bowl which makes it seem like you're sitting almost on top of people in front and people behind you are almost on top of you.

In upper deck as well the aisles seem very narrow. Can't even get my knees in. I have to contort my legs and I'm only 6 ft tall. At Rexal in same seating position my knees would touch seat in front. But now due to the steep incline in upper deck my knees are more crammed. I think its got to do with incline, how seat backs are positioned, how straight or reclined, etc. My legs didn't grow longer.

In anycase it wouldn't be the first time seating space numbers are fudged, airlines do this constantly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not strange considering it's the boring Ducks and no McDavid. Even friday/saturday night hockey has a breaking point it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if people are starting to realize that the Golden Bears or a local junior team are more fun/cheaper on a weekend than the embarrassment usually on display at Rogers Place.

It hardly resembled an NHL game, even from an Oilers perspective. This was a dog day game played on a Saturday night. Its sad to think the schedulers would have thought this game would feature two teams fighting for playoff spots. Instead of fighting to see who could lose.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Man the last 2-3 shows we saw at Stage West were brutal. We left at the intermission of the last one. Food was not that great either. Haven’t been back since. Yet here I am still paying for Oiler tickets. Kick me. :laugh:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man the last 2-3 shows we saw at Stage West were brutal. We left at the intermission of the last one. Food was not that great either. Haven’t been back since. Yet here I am still paying for Oiler tickets. Kick me. :laugh:
Nearly all of the shows at Stage West are great, IMO. Some shows are better than others, but the talent and energy is top notch. And the food has never disappointed. As for the Oilers, we've eaten 2 meals at the former Curve, and both were sent back. Waiting for a drink during intermission usually takes 15 minutes. Think I'll go with Stage West for all of entertainment, food and service.:laugh:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad