Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No idea how anybody could actually spend money to support this team anymore. Other than businesses who use it for entertaining customers, it just boggles the mind that you would want to reward the OBC for being the worst management group in pro-sports history.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
No idea how anybody could actually spend money to support this team anymore. Other than businesses who use it for entertaining customers, it just boggles the mind that you would want to reward the OBC for being the worst management group in pro-sports history.

Have you not experienced our crappy winter? Nothing else to do except get tortured by the Oilers.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
So your solution to our weather is to pay thousands of dollars for the privilege of walking around downtown in -40 and watch the Oilers give no effort and lose seemingly every night.
You could have just used the money to plan a vacation during the cold stretch

Reactions: MisterD

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

How someone spends their money is up to them. I don’t view it as “supporting the OBC”. I view it as enjoying time out with friends and family.

Funny how non STH like to moralize and virtue signal to those who choose to buy season tickets.

I understand STH and non STH who are frustrated and STH who cancel. I am as frustrated as anyone but if there is a team in town I will buy seasons tix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nonamee

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How someone spends their money is up to them. I don’t view it as “supporting the OBC”. I view it as enjoying time out with friends and family.

Funny how non STH like to moralize and virtue signal to those who choose to buy season tickets.

I understand STH and non STH who are frustrated and STH who cancel. I am as frustrated as anyone but if there is a team in town I will buy seasons tix.
I for one, have never given you or anyone that is a STH any grief for being one. I am just relieved by opting out this year, and am glad you are enjoying your purchase. You certainly have a higher tolerance than I do.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I for one, have never given you or anyone that is a STH any grief for being one. I am just relieved by opting out this year, and am glad you are enjoying your purchase. You certainly have a higher tolerance than I do.

You are quite correct and my little soapbox stance wasn't meant for you for sure.

If people decide not to renew or purchase seasons seats because the product stinks, I fully support that notion and I get the frustration everyone here has. I also understand the thought process that many have, that if nobody showed up to the games, that Katz would fundamentally alter his approach to owning the hockey team. However I completely disagree that he would and don't think its right that people are moralizing seasons ticket purchases and equating owning seasons seats to contributing to the failures of the team.

In the end I enjoy the games most of the time, the people I take love going to the games, however my tolerance for a bad product due to mismanagement of comical proportions has being severely tested this year.

If I stop buying seasons seats, it wont be because of Katz. It will be because I am finally tired of spending money on watching shit hockey, or I am not in Edmonton during the winter long enough to warrant having seasons seats.

I believe that somehow we will get this thing turned around and watching the turnaround will be a lot of fun. So its taking the bad with the good for me.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You are quite correct and my little soapbox stance wasn't meant for you for sure.

If people decide not to renew or purchase seasons seats because the product stinks, I fully support that notion and I get the frustration everyone here has. I also understand the thought process that many have, that if nobody showed up to the games, that Katz would fundamentally alter his approach to owning the hockey team. However I completely disagree that he would and don't think its right that people are moralizing seasons ticket purchases and equating owning seasons seats to contributing to the failures of the team.

In the end I enjoy the games most of the time, the people I take love going to the games, however my tolerance for a bad product due to mismanagement of comical proportions has being severely tested this year.

If I stop buying seasons seats, it wont be because of Katz. It will be because I am finally tired of spending money on watching **** hockey, or I am not in Edmonton during the winter long enough to warrant having seasons seats.

I believe that somehow we will get this thing turned around and watching the turnaround will be a lot of fun. So its taking the bad with the good for me.
I hear you, and spent the last several seasons waiting for that "turnaround". I thought we were on our way in 2016, but last year was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and my reason is exactly the one you gave. Not Katz, but because we got tired of watching a garbage product (sorry, Connor) at a highly inflated price.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hear you, and spent the last several seasons waiting for that "turnaround". I thought we were on our way in 2016, but last year was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and my reason is exactly the one you gave. Not Katz, but because we got tired of watching a garbage product (sorry, Connor) at a highly inflated price.

Yup and I am about halfway there. Not sure I can take much more of this.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
The problem is the cost. If Oilers want to have the highest priced tickets in the league behind the Leafs, then they need to produce. If their tickets were priced like they were in the Rexall days no one would care as much. But $400 a seat or whatever it is for a loge seat is nuts.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

You certainly do have that right. I respect your loyalty. Toronto is like that. I shared season tickets with a friend when the Oilers were in danger of moving. They were hard to give up after the EIG bought the team. Couldn't really afford the tiks back then.

What I don't respect is how the Oilers constantly use such sales tactics as fear of loss, corporate espionage and downright lies to influence an emotionally invested customer base. It's amazing how little they think of their customers.

It's kind of like the Gillette commercial. Men, you are all pieces of shit. Time to change. Oh yeah. Buy our product you pieces of shit!

Sadly, the only reason they do it is to try and hide that they are bad at their jobs. It's going well in to a second decade now of bad job performance.

The "great" Talbot trade and how it is being framed means that the new message is being sent. Everyone's job is safe. Status quo. Oh well. Nothing we can do about it.

I doubt a half empty barn will do much. Katz will just threaten to move the team...agreement or not.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
For those that have season tickets, has the price gone up every year for the last few years? And if so, by how much? And what’s the likelihood they go up again for next season?

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Think the Oilers have the renewal packages ready to roll but are waiting for a win or two to send them out? They must have something up their sleeve to try and get people to renew.

So glad I sold a ton of games before the season started this year. It was a struggle to get rid of tonight's tickets. Went for less than a third of my cost.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Think the Oilers have the renewal packages ready to roll but are waiting for a win or two to send them out? They must have something up their sleeve to try and get people to renew.

So glad I sold a ton of games before the season started this year. It was a struggle to get rid of tonight's tickets. Went for less than a third of my cost.

I think they want to "undo" Chia's last 3 trades. Lots of negativity attached to those.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Was talking with some family over the weekend. They split 4 seats with 2 other families. They live south of Red Deer and drive in every game. They said it's not worth it any more and will be giving up their seats next year. Said they can do other things with the $10,000 they spend every year on tickets, food, parking & gas, etc.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm actually excited to see the fallout from yet another failed season and more importantly...another poor home record
Katz has to be legit scared how empty his Palace will be next year

stubhub tickets are going for as little as $21...

Reactions: EagerPug

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

They've always been mailed out about this time of year. They are probably waiting till after the deadline though to see if they can get some extra money out of their fans.

For those that have season tickets, has the price gone up every year for the last few years? And if so, by how much? And what’s the likelihood they go up again for next season?
If I recall, it's like 5% per year, but there was a huge bump the year before the new rink with a lesser bump the year of the new rink. (Sneaky right?)

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I'm actually excited to see the fallout from yet another failed season and more importantly...another poor home record
Katz has to be legit scared how empty his Palace will be next year

Sadly I am now also hoping for an absolute tire fire for the rest of the year. I am watching the nightly scoreboard hoping we can hit dead last. Draft #1-2 overall, send a message to Katz that the fans are finally done and rebuild (yet again). I'm so curious to see if they sell out season seats again next season or not.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the thing that will cause Katz to actually act is the STH not renewing. That will actually put a dent in his wallet.

I do not want to tell anyone what to do with their hard earned money, but oh man I do not know how people can justify renewing their seasons next year. Thats a TON of money for an extremely poor product. And I cant imagine you can even give tickets away for free right now

For the past 2 months I have had a couple of occasions where friends/family have offered to take me, or give me 2 tickets for free and I have turned them down. The hassle to get to the game and getting home later (not even factoring in spending $40 on food/beer) was not worth it

You can get lower bowl seats to an average game now for $60-$80. I can only imagine when that gets down to $40. Itll be panic in Katzs office

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Mine went up 10% each of the past 2 years in the new building. Someone who sits in my section said it was going to be the same the next 3 years but I don't recall seeing that anywhere. I can't imagine we get an increase after seeing this shitshow all year. I will not be a happy camper for one anyway.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Mine went up 10% each of the past 2 years in the new building. Someone who sits in my section said it was going to be the same the next 3 years but I don't recall seeing that anywhere. I can't imagine we get an increase after seeing this ****show all year. I will not be a happy camper for one anyway.

I honestly can't see them jacking the prices in 2020 - they'd be insane to do that. I don't believe the STH list is that long and if they are wondering how easy it is to fill a building with a weak STH base (comparable to total seats) look at the Esks. Constantly offering giveaways, specials, deals, last minute sales. STH selling at reduced cost. They will destroy their brand - they have so far only severely damaged it - if they jack prices a 3rd year in a row.

The only reason I am even thinking about staying is I have DRL seats and figure that if I let my STH tickets lapse I'll never get them again and always be paying a premium. Or never go to games again. Sat in the upper bowl for the first time against Detroit and can feel the pain and frustration others feel with those seats.

The only reason I'm staying (for now) is my seats. It is certainly not because of the team.

If the Oilers were aware of their product and brand they'd either roll prices back 2-5% or they would at least double the STH bucks we all get as a thank you for our unending patience.

If they were smart they'd do both.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I honestly can't see them jacking the prices in 2020 - they'd be insane to do that. I don't believe the STH list is that long and if they are wondering how easy it is to fill a building with a weak STH base (comparable to total seats) look at the Esks. Constantly offering giveaways, specials, deals, last minute sales. STH selling at reduced cost. They will destroy their brand - they have so far only severely damaged it - if they jack prices a 3rd year in a row.

The only reason I am even thinking about staying is I have DRL seats and figure that if I let my STH tickets lapse I'll never get them again and always be paying a premium. Or never go to games again. Sat in the upper bowl for the first time against Detroit and can feel the pain and frustration others feel with those seats.

The only reason I'm staying (for now) is my seats. It is certainly not because of the team.

If the Oilers were aware of their product and brand they'd either roll prices back 2-5% or they would at least double the STH bucks we all get as a thank you for our unending patience.

If they were smart they'd do both.

Fear of loss is the most powerful arrow in a salesman's' quiver.

"The deal is ending soon.."

"I have another offer..."

"Grab one while stocks last..."

"They're going fast..."

"Last one in stock..."

That's why they highly publicize large wait list numbers.

"Renew or they will be gone..."

"Some one else will take them..."

The thing is...they might be right.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

"They're going fast..."

"Last one in stock..."

That's why they highly publicize large wait list numbers.

HA! You got me. You are indeed correct. I'm probably being gullible.

That said, I have done my research at other arenas and found similar seats hold their resale value quite well. I noticed last year in Detroit at Little Ceasars Arena many tickets were heavily discounted...except the drink rails in sections 201-205.

Even these last two years my tickets go for above face value - I can count on one hand the number of discounted seats I've sold below my cost and usually its been because they were last minute sales offers.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

"They're going fast..."

"Last one in stock..."

That's why they highly publicize large waitlist numbers.

They may have to force the people on the wait list to purchase this coming year. A lot of people pass on the option and just stay on the list, presumably waiting for the Oilers to actually get good before they purchase seasons tickets. I think it's like $50-$100 to stay on the list which is considerably better than getting 50% - 75% cost back on most nights, or like last night <30% of your ticket cost back on resale.

If I had to guess i'd say with the current pricing of seats if the Oilers were consistently a playoff team (lol...) SSH would be close to break-even, which is to say this is max pricing while transferring all risk to the fanbase. I think we are finally getting to the end of the goodwill this fanbase has for the Oilers. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad