Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I recommend to read it.

It really comes down to one or multiple segments of our population have lost faith in our criminal justice system, and for legitimate reasons, and it goes back generations. And the political party that is supposed to be fighting for that group has called them super-predators and passed disastrous crime bills in the 90s, so that population feels even more disenfranchised.

That and we also have a clear class divide, the way policing happens in poor neighborhoods of any background compared to rich or even middle class is completely different.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I see people sharing a lot of the terrible things happening in this environment. I would like to share a few positive things that happened as a result of those negatives.

This is mostly Chicago focused since that is where I am familiar, but I would hope others will share what they have heard as well.

The day after riots, looting and arson in downtown Chicago and along the Magnificent Mile, people from all over (including out of state) came to those locations to help clean up. These are complete strangers. When asked why they came? The same response came out: I just wanted to help”. Frankly, I wish I had thought to get down there and help.

During a protest, someone threw a rock at a police officer. The protestors turned to the person who threw the rock, told them we don’t do that and to go home. The person left. The police peacefully held their formation and the protestors returned to their peaceful demonstration. That took restraint from the police and intelligence by the protestors. Kudos to both.

I also heard that in Miami, possibly at a CVS if I recall correctly (doesn’t really matter), some rioters were trying to breaking into the store. Protestors formed a human barrier to stop the rioters. Police then came to their aid and dispersed the rioters peacefully. The show of support and respect despite their conflict is something we can all learn from.

I am sure there are plenty more stories. We should be sharing them. Peaceful protestors should be applauded as should peaceful police.

Their are certainly bad actors, but let’s not let them overshadow the good ones.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Whats the over/under on COVID spread?
COVID 2.0 probability is high and getting higher

I feel bad for mom and pop stores / restaurants. COVID 1.0 put them nearly out of business or out of business. These riots will kill some of those businesses that remain. COVID 2.0 will put many out of business altogether.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
These rioters are predators....there's only one way to be safe...

Shit is getting crazy for sure...

But, last I heard this kind of behaviour doesn't happen in Canada...

So where I don't support the changes in gun laws made recently here in my country - I don't feel the need to arm myself as a protective measure living here. I mean the only way I see that changing is if I purchase acreage, in which case the gun is to deal with coyotes, bears and cougars. Defending against looters is pretty far down the list of my safety concerns...

I find it really strange how markedly different people behave and react to similar situations above and below the 49th parallel. The last full on riot I recall hearing about here in Canada was the 2011 Vancouver riots, which were started over something pretty insignificant in comparison. Sure, we get protests, but seldomly do they need to be broken up by riot cops or require firearms to protect oneself.

Reactions: Lord Helix

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Shit is getting crazy for sure...

But, last I heard this kind of behaviour doesn't happen in Canada...

So where I don't support the changes in gun laws made recently here in my country - I don't feel the need to arm myself as a protective measure living here. I mean the only way I see that changing is if I purchase acreage, in which case the gun is to deal with coyotes, bears and cougars. Defending against looters is pretty far down the list of my safety concerns...

I find it really strange how markedly different people behave and react to similar situations above and below the 49th parallel. The last full on riot I recall hearing about here in Canada was the 2011 Vancouver riots, which were started over something pretty insignificant in comparison. Sure, we get protests, but seldomly do they need to be broken up by riot cops or require firearms to protect oneself.

Guns are part of the culture here. I have them, like many others. I have them for protection and target shooting. Having been in the Army, I'm familiar with them, I'm safety conscious at all times with them (many safes and locks, ammo locked up separately, etc.), and I'm not just trying to play soldier. I did it for real. I always cringe at the play soldiers with all their tricked out black rifles. Half of them wouldn't survive day #1 in basic training.

I think with COVID and now these riots, you will see less people willing to live in high density areas. I live right outside of the STL city boundary in a nice town (SW of the city proper). But I could see eventually moving to a small town in the Western US when I retire. Probably not a coastal place, but Montana or Idaho. A place with space, maybe a small town with a main street and a diner.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I see people sharing a lot of the terrible things happening in this environment. I would like to share a few positive things that happened as a result of those negatives.

This is mostly Chicago focused since that is where I am familiar, but I would hope others will share what they have heard as well.

The day after riots, looting and arson in downtown Chicago and along the Magnificent Mile, people from all over (including out of state) came to those locations to help clean up. These are complete strangers. When asked why they came? The same response came out: I just wanted to help”. Frankly, I wish I had thought to get down there and help.

During a protest, someone threw a rock at a police officer. The protestors turned to the person who threw the rock, told them we don’t do that and to go home. The person left. The police peacefully held their formation and the protestors returned to their peaceful demonstration. That took restraint from the police and intelligence by the protestors. Kudos to both.

I also heard that in Miami, possibly at a CVS if I recall correctly (doesn’t really matter), some rioters were trying to breaking into the store. Protestors formed a human barrier to stop the rioters. Police then came to their aid and dispersed the rioters peacefully. The show of support and respect despite their conflict is something we can all learn from.

I am sure there are plenty more stories. We should be sharing them. Peaceful protestors should be applauded as should peaceful police.

Their are certainly bad actors, but let’s not let them overshadow the good ones.
Nicely done, Celtic, thank you for this! In Toronto, we had over a thousand protesters downtown, and it was loud and energetic, but peaceful! Our Prime Minister addressed the issue of systemic racism, and specifically addressed the plight of black and indigenous Canadians.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Guns are part of the culture here. I have them, like many others. I have them for protection and target shooting. Having been in the Army, I'm familiar with them, I'm safety conscious at all times with them (many safes and locks, ammo locked up separately, etc.), and I'm not just trying to play soldier. I did it for real. I always cringe at the play soldiers with all their tricked out black rifles. Half of them wouldn't survive day #1 in basic training.

I think with COVID and now these riots, you will see less people willing to live in high density areas. I live right outside of the STL city boundary in a nice town (SW of the city proper). But I could see eventually moving to a small town in the Western US when I retire. Probably not a coastal place, but Montana or Idaho. A place with space, maybe a small town with a main street and a diner.

And my beef with America at large isn't so much with army vets or retired police officers who keep their firearms - but the general public that vehemently defend their right to bear arms. There's a very outspoken portion of the US that taints the US by reinforcing negative stereotypes, and there's no way to silence that vocal minority in the Internet era.

The ones that spout the line, but forget the reason it was written into the constitution - to be able to defend oneself in the 1700-1800s when you couldn't get help if you didn't supply it to your community in often isolated areas.

I mean, if firearms weren't so readily available, I wonder how the crime rates would change over a 3-5 year span. There's no easy path back, and a sustained period would be needed to see an effect, because I suspect you'd see an increase in crime rates before you saw a decrease. I also think that the mistreatment of minorities by police and incidents of police brutality would decline with said crime rate - as the police became less paranoid about concealed firearms during every single encounter with a person they need to interact with.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Can we please turn this back into a discussion about COVID? I realize very important things are occurring nationally but I thought this was about the Corona virus. If we keep discussing politics we risk dividing our fan base and with the playoffs starting I feel we all need to be on the same page to root for the Blues. Remember this is a hockey forum not a political one. Let’s get back to discussing hockey.

Reactions: stl76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia