Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Can we please turn this back into a discussion about COVID? I realize very important things are occurring nationally but I thought this was about the Corona virus. If we keep discussing politics we risk dividing our fan base and with the playoffs starting I feel we all need to be on the same page to root for the Blues. Remember this is a hockey forum not a political one. Let’s get back to discussing hockey.

While I understand your concern about the politicizing of the topic and the very real likelihood of people getting into heated arguments, ruffling feathers (I know I've seen a couple people ignore others, or state their intent to do so)...

I think that this whole situation amd the way in which it spread is directly attributable to the COVID-19 shutdowns. The fear. The massive unemployment. The many struggling to get by.

Where the protests started in outrage over getting justice for George Floyd. I think some people were bored, and showed up for something to do - unemployment directly influences this number. I suspect that a number of these people also got caught up in the enthusiasm pockets of trouble makers started, leading to the riots.

I mean, sure these are distinctly different problems - but I'd hazard a guess that they definitely grew off each other. And the way this spread across America, I think is also attributable to the world being in flux. Riots in the past (afar, from a different country) seem to be more localized and much less destructive. You don't see the national guard deployed in 20+ states very often.

Reactions: Blueston

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
And my beef with America at large isn't so much with army vets or retired police officers who keep their firearms - but the general public that vehemently defend their right to bear arms. There's a very outspoken portion of the US that taints the US by reinforcing negative stereotypes, and there's no way to silence that vocal minority in the Internet era.

The ones that spout the line, but forget the reason it was written into the constitution - to be able to defend oneself in the 1700-1800s when you couldn't get help if you didn't supply it to your community in often isolated areas.

I mean, if firearms weren't so readily available, I wonder how the crime rates would change over a 3-5 year span. There's no easy path back, and a sustained period would be needed to see an effect, because I suspect you'd see an increase in crime rates before you saw a decrease. I also think that the mistreatment of minorities by police and incidents of police brutality would decline with said crime rate - as the police became less paranoid about concealed firearms during every single encounter with a person they need to interact with.

No offense meant but I don't think you understand the purpose of the 2nd Amendment and your idea that only retired military and police should have firearms is a great example of that.

People have a right to defend themselves and their families, waiting for police to show up is a fools hope that could cost you your life.

The 2nd Amendment isn't just for personal protection from fellow citizens, it also exists to guarantee freedoms that Americans are fortunate to have and to ensure their own government doesn't attempt to strip those freedoms away. The founding fathers intended it as a balance against tyrannical oppression from the government. So you're dead wrong about it being for the 1700-1800's, it was put in as a permanent balance and that ideal doesn't have an expiration date.

Decreasing the availability of firearms or restricting areas as 'No Gun' zones has only led to increases in criminality in those areas and the data backs that up. You see criminals don't give a shit about laws so laws really only affect law abiding citizens. What good is a restriction if all it does is prevent you from accessing tools to defend yourself from criminals who didn't follow the restriction?

Police aren't nervous dealing with people carrying firearms provided you follow procedure. It's not that difficult to inform the officer you're carrying and ask how they want to proceed. They will tell you what to do and provided you follow directions you'll be fine. When people don't follow directives is when people get hurt as an officer has no idea what someone else is thinking.

I'm just thankful my rights aren't up for debate, the Constitution protects them from idiots who think the criminal attempting a robbery should be safe from being shot.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
At what point is it against forum rules to hijack a thread by repeatedly spamming loosely related news stories and sensationalist videos?

Asking for a friend...

I'm done. I sense some personal grievance brewing. Not worth my time to continue given that anger.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Can we please turn this back into a discussion about COVID? I realize very important things are occurring nationally but I thought this was about the Corona virus. If we keep discussing politics we risk dividing our fan base and with the playoffs starting I feel we all need to be on the same page to root for the Blues. Remember this is a hockey forum not a political one. Let’s get back to discussing hockey.

Done. I'm gone. You guys can get back to non political COVID talk. I won't bring up the riots again.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I agree that we should avoid political discussion. I feel like I have really found a home here. I really enjoy being a part of this community, and I would hate to see that compromised because I don't see eye to eye politically with some of my fellow Blues fans. Having said that, I have observed that some of the posters I most respect are on the other side of the political spectrum from me. I will say, that I may not agree with those posters regarding such issues, but I damn well respect them and will continue to do so.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Curious to see who the first billionaire owner (across all sports) will be to get fed up with being expected to sacrifice his game-day, home-attendance revenue and make a stink about inviting "those who are comfortable with doing so" back to the stadiums and arenas. In the peak of the outbreak, it was expected that these big events would be cancelled...but now that numbers are plateauing and people are clearly getting sick of being told to self-isolate, there will be a growing percentage of folks ready to get back to the way things were, and eventually the decision to bring back the fans will be reached. And that day will likely be before everyone is comfortable with doing so; so it's only a matter of time before an owner starts trying to target that date.

I expect some of these owners to be in better financial shape than others; and if you see the Covid-figures in your city falling; there will undoubtedly be the urge to allow limited admittance if not full-blown "enter at your own risk" policies. The local governments aren't in position to risk being sued, and the Federal government is instructing everyone to open back up...so the conversations are coming I'm sure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree that we should avoid political discussion. I feel like I have really found a home here. I really enjoy being a part of this community, and I would hate to see that compromised because I don't see eye to eye politically with some of my fellow Blues fans. Having said that, I have observed that some of the posters I most respect are on the other side of the political spectrum from me. I will say, that I may not agree with those posters regarding such issues, but I damn well respect them and will continue to do so.
Yeah, we all have different life experiences and view points, and that's great. Hockey and the Blues is our bonding point. In real-life I'm friends with people of different political beliefs, why can't we have that online too.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
As someone who is currently active duty Navy, I really appreciate what SecDef Mark Esper did today. He will likely get fired for it, but he made it very clear that this Dept. of Defense will NOT use active duty forces on its own citizens.

On a Covid related note, hopefully this large scale study can finally close the book on Hydroxychloroquine as a "preventative treatment"...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/03/hydroxychloroquine-clinical-trial-results/

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
As someone who is currently active duty Navy, I really appreciate what SecDef Mark Esper did today. He will likely get fired for it, but he made it very clear that this Dept. of Defense will NOT use active duty forces on its own citizens.

On a Covid related note, hopefully this large scale study can finally close the book on Hydroxychloroquine as a "preventative treatment"...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/03/hydroxychloroquine-clinical-trial-results/
Its a good study. I've been monitoring the Lancet study (which this article mentioned), as its been a debacle. There have been irregularities about the data and the source. Some facts (like the number of deaths, doses of medication) were verifiably incorrect from at least one hospital in Australia (several hospitals were collaborating, but some of them hadn't given permission to collect data, supposedly Its just bizarre issues with that study and the private company who were responsible for collecting the data.) The short version is that the study initially raised concerns about cardiac side effects, but the data those concerns were based on looks shady. I think there have been enough questions about the methods now, that this Lancet study won't ever be treated as meaningful even if they do address the concerns.

They were saying in an 'observational' study (this is not a randomized, blinded study, to remove biases) that the people with Covid-19 who got hydroxychloriquine were more likely to die than those who didn't get it. But there is an obvious bias that people who are sicker and more likely to die from the way the Covid is progressing are more likely to have been prescribed hydroxychloroquine. The design is a significant limitation, independent of the weirdness with the data reports.

But the U of Minnesota study from NEJM is a solid study design and statistically meaningful. Plus its looking at the prophylaxis question, which is important. There may still be a role where hydroxychloroquine DOES have a benefit, such as in a more severely sick patient, etc. There are other studies looking at those situations. But so far, nothing too persuasive has been published.

Three thoughts from the NEJM study:
1) Hydroxychloroquine doesn't seem worthwhile as a preventive therapy. I wouldn't prescribe it or take it for that purpose based on this data.
2) The hand-wringing about cardiac side effects looks to be just that. It can be used safely when prescribed by gate-keepers who are familiar with how to use it. They didn't have an issue with cardiac side effects in this study. (The Lancet study, as I mentioned, raises a question about this, but I'd put more weight on the study that doesn't have all the weird problems.
3) Remdisivir looks like the much more promising treatment option. The data coming out show that it makes a difference in a way that wasn't demonstrated with the hydroxychloriquine +/- azithromycin.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like black people are clearly trying to provoke police there to act physically. Zero respect to police. In Finland that kind of people would go jail right away.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Not that I don't agree (trust me, I do), but how does that make sense?

Yeah, we all have different life experiences and view points, and that's great. Hockey and the Blues is our bonding point. In real-life I'm friends with people of different political beliefs, why can't we have that online too.

I've come to the conclusion that people are people. No use in me losing my mind over the artificial divisions people place among themselves.

I mean it, these terms, "black, white, brown" mean nothing to me. Who are you as a person, and are you nice?

That's all that matters. :nod:

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not that I don't agree (trust me, I do), but how does that make sense?
Exactly, it doesn't. It's like the economy argument people make. If you want to loosen or get rid of restrictions, have the integrity to admit that will lead increased exposure and risk, likely leading to more infections and deaths. Call it for what it is, the protests, riots, and looting will lead to more infections and potentials deaths, but make the argument that the cause is worth it in the grand-scheme of things. I can at least have respect for that argument.

If you are supposed to be someone of science, be of the science.

And there are still ways of protesting and making a political statement, and following social distancing guidelines.

Reactions: Meatball

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Exactly, it doesn't. It's like the economy argument people make. If you want to loosen or get rid of restrictions, have the integrity to admit that will lead increased exposure and risk, likely leading to more infections and deaths. Call it for what it is, the protests, riots, and looting will lead to more infections and potentials deaths, but make the argument that the cause is worth it in the grand-scheme of things. I can at least have respect for that argument.

If you are supposed to be someone of science, be of the science.

And there are still ways of protesting and making a political statement, and following social distancing guidelines.

Exactly. It was a disgusting act, and it's a shame the man was murdered, but people are literally losing their minds and risking their lives. They're letting their passion override their common sense.

My hope is no one gets infected, and (I'm being optimistic) the worst of the virus is over...but man, to be out in public like that? The risks... :help:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Exactly. It was a disgusting act, and it's a shame the man was murdered, but people are literally losing their minds and risking their lives. They're letting their passion override their common sense.

My hope is no one gets infected, and (I'm being optimistic) the worst of the virus is over...but man, to be out in public like that? The risks... :help:
My take is, if you want to protest, go and protest, I have no problem with that. Our government needs to protect our vulnerable population though, the elderly. I heard a recent number that deaths at nursing homes could account for 40%. Data is so bad on it because local/state governments don't want that info out, so that number might be wrong, but it's significantly high. Protests can be done relatively safely if we ensure the vulnerable are shielded, but I'm not confident in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->