Pre-Game Talk: Season 2021-2022 Pre-game thread

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
John Garrett says Seattle fans want wins...well the NHL should have offered more talent to work with and should have had them be able to have a 30 man roster in CoVid times Oct 1

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
On top of the 30 man roster the NHL should have allowed the Seattle to participate in the Entry draft from 2019! Even if was picks in 4-7 rounds...say 4 in the bottom of the 4th,5 in the bottom of 5th,6 in the bottom of 6th...you get the idea! That way there is talent to put on the "Farm" and have as depth players when injuries take there toll which has happened...For 650 Million you'd think the NHL could have given them that! Besides how many 4th-7th Rounders make it...not many but at least its an opportunity!!!

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
John Garrett says Seattle fans want wins...well the NHL should have offered more talent to work with and should have had them be able to have a 30 man roster in CoVid times Oct 1

There was talent available but Francis passed on it. And hired a iffy coach. And doesn't appear to have tried hard to make predraft deals.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Every teams fans want wins, cause winning is fun and losing not so much.

Still, you gotta be smart about that and should know that expansion teams are not going to be world beaters and that Vegas just couldn't be replicated.

Reactions: kihei

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I look at this team like a prototype. I think Francis will look to bolster with free agents at times but wouldn't be surprised if the real plan were to slowly inject a higher level of talent by drafting it.
That takes a few years to realize but I'll try to be patient.

Or I could be completely wrong, and the team intends to go full Rangers and sign everyone they can get their hands on. Don't see it as very likely, though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I look at this team like a prototype. I think Francis will look to bolster with free agents at times but wouldn't be surprised if the real plan were to slowly inject a higher level of talent by drafting it.
That takes a few years to realize but I'll try to be patient.

Or I could be completely wrong, and the team intends to go full Rangers and sign everyone they can get their hands on. Don't see it as very likely, though.
Definitely not likely to be like the Rangers. One big advantage teams like the Rangers and Leafs have is that a lot of players want to live there due to various reasons so it is easier for them to attract high-end FA's.

I think the realistic outlook would be start to look improving in 2023-24. Beniers + the pick from 2022 are likely to be on the roster by then. Potentially Ryker Evans impresses too and is ready by then.

I expect a better season next year for sure because:

a) While possible, I doubt we are worse than this season.
b) Hakstol won't be fired this season but I expect his leash to be short next season. Us being out of the playoff picture around 1/3rd (or more) games through may get him fired. A replacement, if he is a proven veteran coach, is likely to get more out of the team.
c) Francis may not make us contenders with any FA signing this season BUT I still expect he makes some moves to make us 'better'.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Kraken have the whole week off.
The game against Ottawa was postponed as well.

The next game will be in Colorado next week.

Though, I expect the league to create a new schedule, also using the month of February, to get as many games in as possible.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The Kraken have the whole week off.
The game against Ottawa was postponed as well.

The next game will be in Colorado next week.

Though, I expect the league to create a new schedule, also using the month of February, to get as many games in as possible.

Not sure why the Ottawa game was cancelled,the Sens weren't missing many top end(Chabot) players,just a bunch of minor leaguers and fringe NHLers! Must be because they don't want things spreading

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
There was talent available but Francis passed on it. And hired a iffy coach. And doesn't appear to have tried hard to make predraft deals.
The NHL wanted Vegas to succeed right from the hop. Seattle was different and should have been offered 2nd year pros so they could send to the Minors for seasoning and be put on the waiver wire like Cholowski and Bastian were they were scooped up! I bet all 30 selections would have "counted" unlike Bayreauther,Quenneville...throw aways

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The NHL wanted Vegas to succeed right from the hop. Seattle was different and should have been offered 2nd year pros so they could send to the Minors for seasoning and be put on the waiver wire like Cholowski and Bastian were they were scooped up! I bet all 30 selections would have "counted" unlike Bayreauther,Quenneville...throw aways

For the most part Seattle and Vegas had the same draft rules. Only thing different Seattle could offer 8 years contracts to UFAs during their exclusive 2 day window where as vegas couldn't do that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think the Canadian games are being cancelled because the NHL doesn't like the crowd restrictions. I mean, like that's not going to change until Omicron peaks.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the Canadian games are being cancelled because the NHL doesn't like the crowd restrictions. I mean, like that's not going to change until Omicron peaks.

The ottawa game was a home game for Seattle not on the road.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Looking forward to this game. I haven’t gotten to watch the Kraken as much as I would like to because the Avs are my main team. I wanted to go to the first game these two played in Seattle(I live here) but the ticket prices were crazy high. Have they gone down at all? I think only upper bowl was available that game and tickets were between 300 and 500. I was in shock. Denver was like the 3rd highest in the league for a while but nowhere near that high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad