Pre-Game Talk: Season 2021-2022 Pre-game thread

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Tomorrow is going to be weird. Looks like Donskoi is off IR though so that's one player back. Don't know yet if either Rask, Sprong and Pouliout are available tomorrow so probably working with

Forwards
-------------

Gourde
Schwartz
Eberle
McCann
Donskoi
Wennberg
Donato
Geekie
Kuhlman
Lind

Defense
-----------

Oleksiak
Larsson
Soucy
Dunn
Borgen
Fleury

Last game they played Fleury at F. Will be interesting to see how they make things work if none of the 3 new acquisitions are ready. May have to callup Carrick (7D), True and McCormick to fill up the roster.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’d imagine Sprong is on a flight to Arizona right now or in the AM. Rask still has to go through a transaction (which may have happened for all we know). I think that sets things up. Man, what a couple days.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, they still had enough time to either call up another guy from Charlotte while Sprong should be in as well.

If not, Left Wing Haydn will be going crazy on them Yotes. :laugh:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Wonder what it is with Schwartz missing a few practices off-late. Probably precautionary reasons since he does play in the game though. Also, hoping to see what both Rask and Pouliot can do.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Looks like both Schwartz and Fleury are indeed out today, Gonna be a fun one. And I don't get why Driedger is not getting starts at all at this point. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
1) That lineup. :joker:

2) I guess Driedger's young(under 30) and needs to be brought along very slowely....
But hey, we're only paying $3.5 mil to a goalie that seems to be on pace for about 15 - 20 starts....

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Looks like Cale is in today.

We're playing tomorrow...

giphy.gif

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
What’s with the Sheahan/ Kuhlman hard on from Hakstol?
I think the bigger question is, what's with Hakstol's usage of McCann?

Kuhlman and Sheahan have lately been two of the top penalty killers for the team, and their icetime is still relatively low.

The fact that Seattle didn't have a PP last game will influence McCann's icetime, but he had the shorty and played a minute on the PK, and was still second to last in icetime behind only Sheahan.

It is a weird way to utilize your offensive star.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the bigger question is, what's with Hakstol's usage of McCann?

Kuhlman and Sheahan have lately been two of the top penalty killers for the team, and their icetime is still relatively low.

The fact that Seattle didn't have a PP last game will influence McCann's icetime, but he had the shorty and played a minute on the PK, and was still second to last in icetime behind only Sheahan.

It is a weird way to utilize your offensive star.
Yeah. That ice time does not make any sense to me either. I mean sure McCann is no defensive stalwart but he has shown that he can hold his own.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
McCann has proven he can score in Hakstol's system, he probably is testing him to see if he can defend and grind in it too. Pairing him with two 4th liners seems to me like he's asking him if he's willing to play that type of game if needed. Hakstol knows he can get that out of Gourde and Schwartz, when healthy, he probably wants to see if McCann can do it too. There's only room for one Eberle type in the top 6, can't have too many floaters out there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
McCann has proven he can score in Hakstol's system, he probably is testing him to see if he can defend and grind in it too. Pairing him with two 4th liners seems to me like he's asking him if he's willing to play that type of game if needed. Hakstol knows he can get that out of Gourde and Schwartz, when healthy, he probably wants to see if McCann can do it too. There's only room for one Eberle type in the top 6, can't have too many floaters out there.
How does that help the team though? A team that generally struggles to score needs to use their skilled players in a way that they can contribute. Even if McCann can grind he won't be able to produce much on a 'grind' line.

This is the same thing DeBoer did in San Jose. Tried to fit square pegs in round holes.

On a side note, not sure if it is just me, but I have seen Eberle hustle more defensively since the TDL. He is never going to be a great 2-way forward but as long as he puts the defensive effort, he will be a very passable top-6 forward.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How does that help the team though? A team that generally struggles to score needs to use their skilled players in a way that they can contribute. Even if McCann can grind he won't be able to produce much on a 'grind' line.

This is the same thing DeBoer did in San Jose. Tried to fit square pegs in round holes.

On a side note, not sure if it is just me, but I have seen Eberle hustle more defensively since the TDL. He is never going to be a great 2-way forward but as long as he puts the defensive effort, he will be a very passable top-6 forward.

It's not for this year, it's for the next 5 McCann is signed for. They probably want him to be a 18min a night all situations type player. Him scoring 10 more goals this year isn't doing him or anyone any good so work on the other parts of his game that Hakstol thinks need improving. I'm sure he wants to be able to play McCann closer to Gourde minutes but he may not trust him to do that yet. If he gets another line that he can trust at both ends they can stop playing the 4th line close to 12 minutes and play them 9 where they should.

I really don't want them trying to make Eberle more responsible. He's got 2 years left after this, they need to maximize his value. Let him try to put up 50-60 point season so they can get better futures for him. Even if he is a massive liability, teams will hopefully pay more for the offensive threat he provides.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah. That ice time does not make any sense to me either. I mean sure McCann is no defensive stalwart but he has shown that he can hold his own.
Icetime was tough to come by for everyone though to some degree, Gourde was the only player that played 17 minutes.

I think it might be a case of trying to get players like Rask. Sprong, Geekie and Lind more time as this lost season winds down. Maybe a bit of an evaluation move,

And yes, Eberle has played with a ton more effort in the neutral zone and the D zone. Who knows, maybe he reads these forums and was embarrassed with his effort? :laugh:

All I know is that for close to 40 games up until the trade deadline, his lazy defensive effort was single handedly responsible for several quality chances against every night and countless goals against during that span.

Since the TDL, he's putting in a 200 ft effort, and he's been useful even on nights he isn't scoring.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Icetime was tough to come by for everyone though to some degree, Gourde was the only player that played 17 minutes.

I think it might be a case of trying to get players like Rask. Sprong, Geekie and Lind more time as this lost season winds down. Maybe a bit of an evaluation move,

And yes, Eberle has played with a ton more effort in the neutral zone and the D zone. Who knows, maybe he reads these forums and was embarrassed with his effort? :laugh:

All I know is that for close to 40 games up until the trade deadline, his lazy defensive effort was single handedly responsible for several quality chances against every night and countless goals against during that span.

Since the TDL, he's putting in a 200 ft effort, and he's been useful even on nights he isn't scoring.
I agree on Eberle. Decinitely putting in a lot more defensive effort and his offense even looks at least his average. Much better on the whole. Hope he keeps it up.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't know what changed but after the TDL he seems to be speaking more like a leader as well as playing better hockey on both sides of the ice.

Probably no Giordano to hide anymore.
Or maybe(more likely) he's noticed that he's the elder statesman now and needs to show more leadership.
Especially with Yanni stepping up quite a bit too.

I noticed that enough to go and buy his away jersey. It was on sale, sure, but I had choices and chose him.

If that ain't a vote of confidence.

I got a custom one with #10 and you know who.
Got it on sale as well, but will probably end up paying about $100 extra for shipping and VAT....:madfire:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad