Pre-Game Talk: Season 2021-2022 Pre-game thread

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Wish they could ease back into it against a less potent team than the Avs, but happy we get to watch a game!

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
It's a shame that the inaugural season is so broken up. Doesn't allow them to get in sync over time. Now they play a really good team who has played 4 games since Seattle's last game. We saw the Kraken's potential during the stretch in late Nov - early Dec. I think that's the team that management foresaw when putting it together. Questionable decisions drafting, disappointing goaltending, and some bad luck are involved too, but I have to believe that the results on the ice would be better if the schedule wasn't such a mess.
Still so happy to have the NHL here though. Hopefully the team will come together over the next couple years.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Oleksiak and Soucy are out, Grubauer will start and Driedger's still not officially out of Covid protocol.
Also Geekie's a healthy scratch and Donskoi will be back in.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Indeed. Pretty shocking really. Everybody expected it from Arizona, but Montreal is next level bad.

Montreal issue is the core talent that made them good are just hitting the age. Price dealing with Knee issues and chance he probably retire via LTIR. Weber is more or less done (retire via LTIR) Thats 2 of their key players right there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Perry, Danault also both gone. Substantial quality all toast.

Montreal is really what surprises me the most. I can understand the loss of Weber, Danault and Price (Perry is washed up). I knew they would be bad but I didnt expect them to be this bad.

2020-21 Season

59 points in 56 games. Goal differential of -9.

2021-22 Season
23 points in 44 games. Goal differential of -73.

And I know Price is a big factor here BUT he only played 25 regular season games last year and posted a 0.901 SV% in the regular season. He was spectacular in the playoffs but not so much in the regular season.

Arizona, sadly, has just become a joke. Issue with the arena, money problems and just dealing with perennial failures. They are almost like the Mariners of the hockey world. And Montreal is even worse than them.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This makes the Cholo claim even more confusing. I mean there is nothing to be lost by having Cholo sitting in the AHL but it does not help either. We have way too many D-men and really hope Francis moves atleast 2 at the TDL.

Well, like I've said, Francis might have something lined up or is working on stuff.
Having another defender with NHL experience in the AHL helps being more flexible at the TDL.

I mean, there's nothing to lose for Francis by doing this.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
This makes the Cholo claim even more confusing. I mean there is nothing to be lost by having Cholo sitting in the AHL but it does not help either. We have way too many D-men and really hope Francis moves atleast 2 at the TDL.
Could just be that with the taxi squad we are not honoring our agreement of having 8 skaters in Charlotte, especially with the extra recalls recently.

This may be nothing more than trying to help Charlotte out and fulfill their agreement.

The Cholo claim really costs them nothing, and shouldn't be over analyzed, imo. At worst, it is an extra body available should Francis go crazy at the deadline.

Reactions: The Marquis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad