Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
embarrassing as a hockey fan.

From a Bruins fan... lol...

brad-marchand-lick.jpg

iu

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Who flopped and embellished outside of Fox?

How did you feel about Marchand doing it last round against Toronto?

And lastly, have you watched Carolina? They're more guilty of flopping and diving than anyone.
Sure, whatever you say lol

The rangers are built to win on PP opportunities so most fans understand the game plan. Its working embrace it.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Outshot 44-28 at 5 on 5. Out shot-attempted 92-75. Outshot overall 57-39. Time on attack lost as well.

The Deserve to win o'meter is the equivalent of a childs fisher price toy. It looks cute but is absolutely useless. It has literally changed, after the game was already played, every single time I refresh the page.

Throwing 1.567 hail mary shots at the net is not it. Rangers had more quality scoring chances.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Who flopped and embellished outside of Fox?

How did you feel about Marchand doing it last round against Toronto?

And lastly, have you watched Carolina? They're more guilty of flopping and diving than anyone.
don't feed the... you know...

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
I was shocked watching how the Rangers kept embellishing and flopping all over the place.

Let teams play 5 on 5, start matching up the dives.

I'm sure its the game plan to get as many power plays as you can but that was embarrassing as a hockey fan.

Lets toughen up boys
You cant be serious with this hahah

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Outshot 44-28 at 5 on 5. Out shot-attempted 92-75. Outshot overall 57-39. Time on attack lost as well.

The Deserve to win o'meter is the equivalent of a childs fisher price toy. It looks cute but is absolutely useless. It has literally changed, after the game was already played, every single time I refresh the page.
The shots are a little misleading, no? Rangers led in high quality chances. Throwing muffins at the net because the opposing goalie is dialed in doesnt really scream dominance

Reactions: Dijock94 and Siddi

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As you are seeing, playoffs are a different beast. Special teams are making a noticeable difference in NYR's favor as I said pre-series it would.

I think what plays in the Rangers' favor is continuity. I don't know about the Canes but aren't the Canes this good on the PP in the regular for the first time? Did they play the same system and same players? The Rangers players are very comfortable on the PP. They've been a top unit with the same 4 players at least 3 years now. Trocheck was the 5th player and he joined last year.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The shots are a little misleading, no? Rangers led in high quality chances. Throwing muffins at the net because the opposing goalie is dialed in doesnt really scream dominance

They're really not though. Because how many muffins have the Canes thrown at the net that deflected off something and gone in? Like half their goals thus far have been deflections off our players or their own. Greater puck possession = greater shot volume = eventually one of those shots squeaks past a goalie or deflects off a butt cheek.

It just wears down the other team too. More saves for the goalie to make, more box outs for the defensmen to make, more net front tie ups and battles, etc.

It's not a sustainable way to win. With that being said.. the Rangers are an anomaly. If anyone could get caved 5 on 5 and still win it's them. They have the goaltending and the special teams to do it. My fear is that when special teams dries up by way of the refs shoving the whistles where the sun doesn't shine and frankly where it belongs in the playoffs.. we may have a problem.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Harmless shots/attempts are fine. In the playoffs you’re praying for a deflection of someone/something. Looking for volume that one goes in some how. Kind of like the Slavin goal in game 1.
But a lot of those shots/attempts are from low danger areas or poor angles……
Most of the 8 remaining goalies in the playoffs shouldn’t have trouble stopping them if they see the puck cleanly.
99.9% of them should be stopped.
Quality scoring chances from high danger areas are another thing entirely. Those don’t really produce lucky bounce/gift goals.
Even zone time, great but if you’re toying around with it up by the blue line or along the half boards, what good is it?
Canes had 2 PPs where they had the puck in the NYR zone for over a min, with 1 shot, that wasn’t particularly dangerous. It skews the #”s but what good is it? How close were they actually to generating a quality scoring chance or shot?

Both teams have had points of the game where they have each taken control, just like most playoff games go.
But this game wasn’t an absolute domination by the canes throughout by any means…..
One area that they were clearly better imo from GM 1 to GM 2 was at the dot.
They won a lot more face offs and that helped muddle NYR pace and zone control on their offensive chances

Reactions: noncents

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Harmless shots/attempts are fine. In the playoffs you’re praying for a deflection of someone/something. Looking for volume that one goes in some how. Kind of like the Slavin goal in game 1.
But a lot of those shots/attempts are from low danger areas or poor angles……
Most of the 8 remaining goalies in the playoffs shouldn’t have trouble stopping them if they see the puck cleanly.
99.9% of them should be stopped.
Quality scoring chances from high danger areas are another thing entirely. Those don’t really produce lucky bounce/gift goals.
Even zone time, great but if you’re toying around with it up by the blue line or along the half boards, what good is it?
Canes had 2 PPs where they had the puck in the NYR zone for over a min, with 1 shot, that wasn’t particularly dangerous. It skews the #”s but what good is it? How close were they actually to generating a quality scoring chance or shot?

Both teams have had points of the game where they have each taken control, just like most playoff games go.
But this game wasn’t an absolute domination by the canes throughout by any means…..
One area that they were clearly better imo from GM 1 to GM 2 was at the dot.
They won a lot more face offs and that helped muddle NYR pace and zone control on their offensive chances

No disagreements. They were much much better at the dot

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I was shocked watching how the Rangers kept embellishing and flopping all over the place.

Let teams play 5 on 5, start matching up the dives.

I'm sure its the game plan to get as many power plays as you can but that was embarrassing as a hockey fan.

Lets toughen up boys
Let's toughen up boys EXCEPT FOR REMPE AND TROUBA please pretty please tell them not to hit anymore and call majors and match penalties everytime they're on the ice or we'll cry and moan and whine endlessly. If the Rangers toughened up anymore posters like you would be begging to get law enforcement involved.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
The series ending up 2-2 isn't out of the question, but if it end up 3-1, I don't see any fashion as to how Carolina comes back, barring a Caniac miracle.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Just realized Andersen sports the same jersey number as Igor.
The disrespect. Carolina have already lost the series.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I can't find it. But anyone know the last time a team swept the first two series?

Rangers will not sweep Florida. But they have still been impressive.

Fair or not, it was cup or bust for the Canes this season. It will be a failure to go down easy in round two.
Fair reminder, as a rangers fan, that “a series doesn’t truly begin until a team loses a home game”. This could VERY easily be going back to New York 2-2.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
GDT is up…

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
@eco's bones my bad for tagging you here, buddy. I was about to post a reply to your comment in the GDT but it closed as I was doing it lol

It will come down to Bob matching Igor in the next round if that happens to be the matchup, there's been goals that the Andersen gave up G1/2 that he probably wants back badly. The Panarin GWG in game 1, Kreider in game 2 to tie it, etc. Florida does have those finishers that Carolina truly lacks come playoffs. I also think I would be worried what that psychopath Tkachuk does if things go haywire for Florida. Rangers would win the series imo right now with how the teams are playing but they'll get a chunk taken out of them before they get there imo to meet the West winner.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad