BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
giphy.gif

That's how I expect it to play out.
Rick Bowness come on down!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
My main takeaway from this was the overuse of a need for a "sounding board" for Pierre. If Pierre needs a "sounding board" that bad, then maybe he shouldn't be a GM?

It seems all nhl teams other than us have a mgmt group. Throw around whatever tItles you want but ultimately one guy has to make decisions. Typically that guy is the GM. But they all have sounding boards....except us.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m sure they wanted a president, just that Melnyk learned they cost way to much money

In classic Sens fashion, we went shopping for a seasoned hockey executive the year the market went crazy. I mean, $25 million guaranteed to Ken Holland, a guy whose glory years as a GM were ten years ago? Then there's the market for coaches, where guys out of the recycle bin are getting 5 year deals at huge money. I'm a little torn about our situation - on the one hand, I actually agree with Melnyk in that five year deals for coaches and huge money for GMs is crazy. On the other hand, that's where the market is right now in the NHL, and if you can't play in that space you should start asking yourself if you can really afford to be an owner anymore...

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
How much money do the Sens have left over from their "fair" offers to Dzingle, Duchene and Stone?
Still short a few million, have been and still are...actually, after the downgrade from poho to one or two advisors it looks like there is even less money.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Those offers were all for show... Sens never anticipated they would accept the offers
Every offer the Sens made was designed to be turned down.

The Sens knew full well that failing to give NMC's and lockout protection bonuses ensured the offers would be rejected.

Let's them fool the rubes and gives ammo to the spin doctors.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
In classic Sens fashion, we went shopping for a seasoned hockey executive the year the market went crazy. I mean, $25 million guaranteed to Ken Holland, a guy whose glory years as a GM were ten years ago? Then there's the market for coaches, where guys out of the recycle bin are getting 5 year deals at huge money. I'm a little torn about our situation - on the one hand, I actually agree with Melnyk in that five year deals for coaches and huge money for GMs is crazy. On the other hand, that's where the market is right now in the NHL, and if you can't play in that space you should start asking yourself if you can really afford to be an owner anymore...

Ottawa have been priced out of the market on pretty much every front. The landscape is changing for player contracts [front loaded, bonus heavy, trade protection] and clearly the Senators can't do those things. Coaching salaries have skyrocketed in recent years - just looking at the list of candidates for the Senators job should tell you where they are on that front. The Ken Holland contract is likely to be the sort of game-changer for executives that the Babcock deal was for coaches - expect the Sens to be on the outside looking in once again. Probably only a matter of time before some team with a ton of money decides to jack up the cost of amateur scouting, effectively pricing Ottawa out of the market in the one area they've managed some modest success in recent years.

Relocation to Houston can't happen quick enough.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Every offer the Sens made was designed to be turned down.

The Sens knew full well that failing to give NMC's and lockout protection bonuses ensured the offers would be rejected.

Let's them fool the rubes and gives ammo to the spin doctors.

Somehow there are STILL some people who do not understand this.

Eugene just got a nice new 30M line of credit for new maids and cooks for his estate in the Bahamas and to fly private from Ottawa to Toronto to make announcements to corporate sponsors.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The wording "Ottawa plans to take a run" is a little concerning. This is a no brainer. Something that involves no plan of any kind.

I expect the contract offer to be as successful as the ones presented to Mark Stone and Matt Duchene, but only after a year of Pierre Dorion selling his agents on “the plan”. Soon after, it’ll be leaked that it’s too early in the rebuild to commit to any one player, and moving on from Chabot is in the best interests of building an unparalleled winner in Ottawa.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The wording "Ottawa plans to take a run" is a little concerning. This is a no brainer. Something that involves no plan of any kind.

Let's be fair, the Senators are pros at failing at almost everything they try to do. Dorion knows he needs to sign Chabot, he also knows Melnyk is a scum bag who won't support him whatsoever: no point in anyone saying it is going to happen for sure.

Chabot might pulla Matthews, it would be his best option after all.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
They would never admit it publicly - for obvious reasons - but I think the Sens are genuinely spooked about a Thomas Chabot offer sheet. Now, I know that you're thinking 'offer sheets never happen' and you'd be right, but only because teams don't really believe they have a realistic chance of actually getting the player.

The Senators are uniquely vulnerable to the offer sheet due to being so incredibly cash poor. If a team drops a 5 year deal on Chabot structured 10/10/8.5/8.5/5 payable 90% in bonuses can the Sens match? Probably not, and all they get in return is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

So 'take a run' at Chabot makes sense to me. They are likely going to be asking him to leave money on the table to stay here and they aren't sure if he's open to doing that.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Let's be fair, the Senators are pros at failing at almost everything they try to do. Dorion knows he needs to sign Chabot, he also knows Melnyk is a scum bag who won't support him whatsoever: no point in anyone saying it is going to happen for sure.

Chabot might pulla Matthews, it would be his best option after all.
Even if he does what are the odds Gene is owner in five years?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The people Melnyk went after for POHO would not even consider it... would not take a meeting.
This very likely has to do with the wishy washy way they were defining the position, as one to help Dorion... They probably went Help Dorion? just a sec ... lololololol ...ok I am back .. ahhhh no thanks Euge.

Help Dorion?
tenor.gif
XgjpA.gif
2Lh9.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Engineer and Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is Melnyk going to call Friedman "bush league" now as well?
It is interesting that Friedman kinda says what most of us were thinking and Bruce tries to explain it and soften it and now we just want one or more advisors ... maybe they will be just like pay per use life lines that have some sort of SLA that Melnyk can use to sue them on later.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Nobody reputable is going to come in "and help Dorion".

They'd be embarrassed to be below him on the totem poll

POHO would be above GM.

It's quite obvious nobody wants to work for Melnyk.

Dorion is a well respected GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad