Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Garrioch said this in his article:

It’s believed former Los Angeles Kings general manager Dean Lombardi, who helped lead the club to a Stanley Cup in 2013, would be a prime candidate for the job, but he’s still under contract to the organization and the club would have to get permission to speak with him.

Wasn't he fired in 2017?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Best Sens news I've heard in months. We really need a guy like Lombardi around who hopefully can be a voice of reason.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Job Description:

-The President of hockey operations will oversee the general manager and have insight on big picture strategy and team building

- The ideal candidate will serve as a barrier between ownership and players when ownership has become intoxicated and wants to enter the locker room. Ability to lift 175lbs is a plus.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Melnyk when he see's what president of hockey ops is going to cost
tenor.gif

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
There was this great moment in between the happiness of hearing that they’d do this and the sadness of remembering that Melnyk would be choosing the person.

I think Melnyk tends to hire from the Toronto scene. How about a dark horse move of trying to get Hunter (again)?

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
At risk of being a troll, does this illustrate how bad this team became? Everyone is gone. If that's the case, maybe scorched earth isn't so bad.

Reactions: Fixxer

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While I don't think Lombardi would be the best fit as president of a rebuilding team given his track record, at this point I'd take anyone who can bring a semblance of professionalism to this clown show.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
This could be similar to when Brian Burke took on the role of president in Calgary, expressed full faith in Jay Feaster GM and then a relatively short time later canned him and took on the intern role himself. I could see him hired here and do it again. He’s on my list as are Lombardi, Ferguson and Nonis, Holland (if not renewed), and Malony, so far. Should also add Gillis to the list although we reportedly spoke with him in the off-season but to no avail. Maybe we circle back though. Weird 3 of them are ex Leafs. My pipe dream though is Yzerman. Come home Stevie Y.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This could be similar to when Brian Burke took on the role of president in Calgary, expressed full faith in Jay Feaster GM and then a relatively short time later canned him and took on the intern role himself. I could see him hired here and do it again. He’s on my list as are Lombardi, Ferguson and Nonis, Holland (if not renewed), and Malony, so far. Weird 3 of them are ex Leafs. My pipe dream though is Yzerman. Come home Stevie Y.

Pretty sure Stevie is going home to Detroit, and he's too smart to work under Melnyk anyway.

Reactions: albator71

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This could be similar to when Brian Burke took on the role of president in Calgary, expressed full faith in Jay Feaster GM and then a relatively short time later canned him and took on the intern role himself. I could see him hired here and do it again. He’s on my list as are Lombardi, Ferguson and Nonis, Holland (if not renewed), and Malony, so far. Weird 3 of them are ex Leafs. My pipe dream though is Yzerman. Come home Stevie Y.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Melnyk floated the idea that current management could be moved on from during his tight five a few days ago, and now we're hearing about a President of Hockey Ops being hired.

I think a President will be put into place, and if/when this team finishes last and potentially "wins" the lottery for COL, Dorion is gone.

Dorion proudly announced a few weeks ago that he had given three year extensions to the entire scouting staff. If that was Melnyk's idea, that's a sign to me that Dorion could be gone. It ensures the gem of this org which is the scouting staff remains consistent even without Dorion.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pretty sure Stevie is going home to Detroit, and he's too smart to work under Melnyk anyway.

It was publicized that Yzerman's family has still remained living in Detroit during his entire time working for the Lightning. Yzerman has flown back and forth between Tampa and Detroit to facilitate that arrangement.

Yzerman left Tampa because of this, so it doesn't make sense to assume he'd come to Ottawa or one of the many other destinations needing management. His deal with Tampa us up at the end of the season. It'd be very surprising if he didn't end up being a part of Detroit's management group at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad