Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It is pretty sad that everything on TSN is about other teams signing a coach or a new GM, and this organization can’t get shit done.

Definitely, they messed up by not having a POHO in place last month. I would guess the plan was to have this person in place to get ready to deal with June decisions.

Time is ticking... on the doomsday clock

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Melynk runs this team like a junior hockey team and a dysfunctional one at that. The years of mismanagement and lies have killed any support for him owing this hockey team.

Anything positive he says ,you pretty well know is either a lie or wont happen.

I will always be a Sens fan but my faith in the organization outside of the players is at all time low.

Melynk finds a way to screw everything up within this organization. The only chances we have are those miracle seasons like we had a couple years back because we know the owner is not committed to this franchise.

I don't understand his rationale and don't care to. As long as he is the owner this is the norm now. I think he has gone broke and off the deep end and we are left to watch this once well respected organization run into the ground on a consistent basis at every turn.

I feel sorry for the players, the fans and city of Ottawa.

One day he will not be the owner and that day cannot come soon enough but until that day is going to be a long and bumpy ride being a Sens fan.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd say an Arizona situation is more likely that an outright sale. Have the NHL take over the team for awhile until an buyer appears for whatever price the league puts on the franchise.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I feel like if/when the sale of the Sens happens its going to come right out of left field, and we'll be the last ones to know.

I can say for certain that Im never getting my hopes up again until its officially announced that any kind of talks are underway. It just hurts way too much...

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would be amazing if Melnyk had a beer leaguer son who he demands be played as our top defenseman.
close
Mark%20Borowiecki.jpg

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Melynk runs this team like a junior hockey team and a dysfunctional one at that. The years of mismanagement and lies have killed any support for him owing this hockey team.

Anything positive he says ,you pretty well know is either a lie or wont happen.

I will always be a Sens fan but my faith in the organization outside of the players is at all time low.

Melynk finds a way to screw everything up within this organization. The only chances we have are those miracle seasons like we had a couple years back because we know the owner is not committed to this franchise.

I don't understand his rationale and don't care to. As long as he is the owner this is the norm now. I think he has gone broke and off the deep end and we are left to watch this once well respected organization run into the ground on a consistent basis at every turn.

I feel sorry for the players, the fans and city of Ottawa.

One day he will not be the owner and that day cannot come soon enough but until that day is going to be a long and bumpy ride being a Sens fan.
We were told just a few days ago by a few in here that the org is being respectful of the teams that are still in the playoffs. Supposedly that's the rationale..lol

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm not trying to redo the "but he could still come back in free agency!" posts about Karlsson last year from fans who couldn't come to terms with his trade, but if you're Melnyk, wouldn't that be a point of leverage in a sale?

Whether or not each individual trade was the best, that would be an amazing situation for a new ownership group. If you buy the team early enough, you can have a shot at Karlsson, maybe Duchene too in free agency, and you get to keep all the assets you got from trading them. Oh yeah, there's pretty much no contracts on the books long term, only Ryan and Smith for another 2-3 years, so the team can be shaped any way you want.

But if they don't meet Melnyk's price by June, and then July 1st passes with Karlsson and Duchene signing elsewhere, there won't be the same opportunity in the future to bring back two guys with previous roots here.

I'm not saying I have any shred of hope that Karlsson will be back here. But it would be an interesting leverage point for Melnyk. Especially so if the group buying the team is the same one Alfredsson was involved with that Karlsson was reportedly expecting to buy the team last summer. (That was in the Sun fyi, might have been Don Brennan reporting it)

Granted, maybe a new ownership group would be happier not spending, and would like the idea that they can come in and be seen as white knights regardless of what they do purely based on the fact that they aren't Eugene Melnyk. The idea that Melnyk already took the fall for getting rid of all the big money on the books, and now all they have to do is wait out this cheap roster and play the long game with a rebuild that will peak when they eventually move downtown.
It does make sense,as anyone buying the team will have alot of cheques to cut to get this team back to actually being one that is building to win ..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Complete disarray ... NHL helping to find what they likely suggested as a POHO and now is being downgraded due to a seeming lack of interest or lack of funds or both. The dud they hired with a communications background couldn't relate and couldn't communicate is on the way out. People here have reported lack of money to actually properly staff a NHL franchise. Weak trade returns for superstar players wanting out. No stability. Sugar coated out of touch messaging by everyone from the organization that opens their pie holes .. and from the guy who ate all the pie who calls himself a reporter. This is an interesting case for Bettman, regardless of what he is saying publicly. The parameters should be documented and used in case studies at business law classes at Harvard. I assume there are guidelines that an owner must agree to when he is awarded an NHL franchise.

Reactions: DrEasy and Blotto71

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Complete disarray ... NHL helping to find what they likely suggested as a POHO and now is being downgraded due to a seeming lack of interest or lack of funds or both. The dud they hired with a communications background couldn't relate and couldn't communicate is on the way out. People here have reported lack of money to actually properly staff a NHL franchise. Weak trade returns for superstar players wanting out. No stability. Sugar coated out of touch messaging by everyone from the organization that opens their pie holes .. and from the guy who ate all the pie who calls himself a reporter. This is an interesting case for Bettman, regardless of what he is saying publicly. The parameters should be documented and used in case studies at business law classes at Harvard. I assume there are guidelines that an owner must agree to when he is awarded an NHL franchise.

Yep ,the NHL would likely want EM to sell ,but cant present that front due to legal repercussions ...So we get everybody saying everything is fine and dandy while the team twists in the wind

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is an interesting case for Bettman, regardless of what he is saying publicly. The parameters should be documented and used in case studies at business law classes at Harvard.

it's all part of Melnyk's revenue strategy. He's trying to leverage Crombie's Harvard MBA to sell the current situation for big bucks to fund the FYOUS years

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Thanks for the article, SoA. Good read.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It is pretty sad that everything on TSN is about other teams signing a coach or a new GM, and this organization can’t get **** done.

Definitely, they messed up by not having a POHO in place last month. I would guess the plan was to have this person in place to get ready to deal with June decisions.

Time is ticking... on the doomsday clock
Honestly I think a Doomsday Clock would be an appropriate thing to apply to the state of this team. Instead of "Mutually Assured Destruction" as the finality it would be "Relocation to Houston".

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
My main takeaway from this was the overuse of a need for a "sounding board" for Pierre. If Pierre needs a "sounding board" that bad, then maybe he shouldn't be a GM?

I disagree.

I think if we had a management staff on par with the average NHL team, it would be suspect that we are seeking someone out for that role. We seem to have a very thin management staff, and we hired someone with no pro-hockey management experience and a very specialized skill to be our only assistant GM.

Even if Pierre Dorion had an amazing track record, and was seen as one of the best "young" GMs in the league, hiring somebody in some capacity who has more experience and maybe has skills that contrast Dorion's primary skillset in scouting would be a good move.

It really doesn't seem like they were ever seriously looking to hire a POHO. The Garrioch interview (assuming he is actually fed stuff from the team) sounds like an attempt to take a step back and reshape the expectations that they are going to hire one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad