Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
His job was to get rid of everyone this year he is expected to be in last place. Once you hear the word rebuild it's over

Then why are Bobby Ryan, Cody Ceci, Zack Smith, Craig Anderson and Mikkel Boedker still here?

Seems like he did a bad job, since he only got rid of the two guys he said he wanted to keep.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Then why are Bobby Ryan, Cody Ceci, Zack Smith, Craig Anderson and Mikkel Boedker still here?

Seems like he did a bad job, since he only got rid of the two guys he said he wanted to keep.

He couldn't give smith away but he tried, and you don't know why we still have Ryan?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He couldn't give smith away but he tried, and you don't know why we still have Ryan?

Other GMs get rid of bad contracts all the time.

Hell, Doug Wilson managed to get rid of a $4 million dollar 4th liner for multiple draft picks AND free'd up cap space to acquire Karlsson.

And you know who gladly took that overpaid 4th liner off his hands? Dorion!

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
But isn't Smith now, after being waived and unfortunately not traded, a quality veteran to build around. I recon this is what PD called him, right?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Would Jacques Martin be a good fit as POHO or senior advisor?

Maybe a senior advisor but whoever becomes a POHO will have Dorion working under him and likely be an”advisor” to a doofus. Reminds me of Blackadder.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think one of the challenges about debating trades is agreeing upon how your evaluating the trade.

1) You can evaluate the trade based on the arbitrary value of the assets at the time of the trade.
2) You can evaluate the trade based on the actual values of the assets for a period of time after the trade.

Example:

If you trade a 2nd round pick straight up for the 1s overall pick...that would be a steal based on #1.

If you pick Yakapov with the first overall and the other team uses the 2nd to pick PK Subban...then that would be a steal based on #2.

The fact is that you can have a trade like the Dahlen trade where many will believe that according to #1...we lost the trade because they can make the case Dahlen had much more value at the time than Burrows and we should have gotten something that had more value than Burrows. AND of course you can say that based on #2, we won the trade because whatever we got out of Burrows was more valuable than anything from Dahlen if he indeed busts.

So you can have it both ways and therefore if you want to claim victory for Dahlen based on method #2, then you should probably also wait a little longer before claiming victory on Dzingle in the same way.

In terms of PD...I think if you look at all his trades/work the trend is pretty clear. He's good with young/amateur talent. No question. He knows how to draft. He seems pretty good at leading development. And his ability to project out how kids are developing will help us get better value on some trades where we trade young for old (Dahlen).

I just don't thing that this makes up for his other deficiencies, primarily his lack of leadership skills. Small markets can punch above their weight with better team cultures. Murray had that with the pesky sens. I have 0 faith in Dorion's ability to get a large group of adult men pulling in the same direction.

If PD is all we can get because nobody else wants to work with EM that doesn't mean he is a good GM and should be praised. It means he's lucky to have a job, the owners an ass, and the NHL has a major problem because when nobody around the league with credibility wants to work with you, you begin to feel isolate and angry at the league...which could result in wild-card actions/statements that the league doesn't want...and I would bet that under the circumstances the league would probably want to put in place another adult in the team to prevent this getting worse.

Of course I could be wrong. Maybe PD is pretty good at his job. Of course, knowing that his is the lowest paid GM in the league, if he is pretty good at this job...do you think another team tries to poach him away from Melnyk this summer? Why not?

Ok, so scenario 1, Dahlen was more highly regarded at the time, so Dorion got fleeced.

Scenario two, Burrows became buyout fodder while Dahlen still held more value garnering a different 19 year old prospect in Linus Karlsson who was playing in the SHL.

The only way you can actually rate the trade as a win is by doing neither scenario, and evaluating Burrow's limited impact in the year we acquired him against Dahlen today. Even then, you have to assume the worst case scenario for Dahlen, that he busts when he's only 21 and putting up respectable production in his first full year of NA hockey.

RealSpartan

Nov 2, 2016
"I have been told that the Sens have asked Ron Francis to be president and it's his if he wants it"

"He will be paid in unlimited* hot dogs and fountain drinks"

* fair use policy in effect, redeemable only on game nights

Reactions: coladin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It really is unbelievable. Literally, I do not believe it.
Considering the source alone it's not true. He's the butt-end of all the jokes on Spittin' Chickets

Then factor in that Friedman had already said we tried Francis to no avail, it is even less trustworthy.

Then factor in that he comments that he'd defer to Friedman if that was the case (he made it up, didn't even know Friedman had already touched on Francis weeks ago) on the same tweet it becomes even less trustworthy.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

RealSpartan

Nov 2, 2016
But in all seriousness this would be as dream, which is why it likely won't happen. We don't get nice things.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Considering the source alone it's not true. He's the butt-end of all the jokes on Spittin' Chickets

Then factor in that Friedman had already said we tried Francis to no avail, it is even less trustworthy.

Then factor in that he comments that he'd defer to Friedman if that was the case (he made it up, didn't even know Friedman had already touched on Francis weeks ago) on the same tweet it becomes even less trustworthy.
Iirc Francis wasn’t even allowed to interview elsewhere or accept a job because he still has stake in canes ownership until a certain date coming up. So he could have said no for that reason then.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Sounds about right. I find it hard to believe he would come here considering the likely realities attached to the position.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Thread at 49 pages and counting...still open.

Mark Stone thread nuked after 10 pages?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
"I have been told that the Sens have asked Ron Francis to be president and it's his if he wants it"

"He will be paid in unlimited* hot dogs and fountain drinks"

* fair use policy in effect, redeemable only on game nights
Imagine if Anselmi’s hotdogs seal the deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad