Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think whoever comes on as POHO will eventually fire Dorion and take over himself.

Will he have the authority to?

I think what will happen is someone will be brought in without that sort of authority.

We'll finish low again next year. Melnyk will fire Dorion and do some awesome Toronto open mic night sets throwing Dorion under the bus "he gives up the 1st overall pick for matt du-ches-ne? what is up with that? For the record, trading Karlsson was his idea, I loved the guy wanted to keep him!".

That will result in the POHO getting full control.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think what will happen is someone will be brought in without that sort of authority.

We'll finish low again next year. Melnyk will fire Dorion and do some awesome Toronto open mic night sets throwing Dorion under the bus "he gives up the 1st overall pick for matt du-ches-ne? what is up with that? For the record, trading Karlsson was his idea, I loved the guy wanted to keep him!".

I think this is a pretty good guess, I concur. Pierre was telling me the time was right to rebuild and that both Duchene who we paid a kings ransom for and Stone would stay. He told me we would compete for a playoff spot right away. Now he was a nice guy from Orleans and all that but he really wasn't ready for the job. A very expensive mistake that we will all have to pay for.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

I’m not sure anyone would take that position if they’d be nothing more than a puppet/figurehead lame duck. The POHO should possess that authority. It’s why the search has taken so long, because I don’t think anyone will agree to come here prior to receiving true authority. I could easily see say Sean Burke come in, all amicably smiling with Pierre and say he’s here to he a team player and lend a hand while overseeing things, only to convince Melnyk a year into his tenure that Pierre’s time is up and illustrate what he’ll do differently relative to his own vision and track record, and then pull the trigger himself on letting Gabriel Pizza’s best customer go.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Funny thing is at this point I would hardly even be mad if it was Brian. You know he's not taking **** from anyone. We need a guy like him, but someone who's less of a dinosaur.

It's not so much that I would have been upset if he were to become our POHO, it's more that given the context of the situation Brian Burke becoming a front runner would have been shocking.

Reactions: Silencio

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I always disliked Brian Burke but he could be what the Sens need. He has respect around the league. He has a wealth of experience. He would be able to deal with Melnyk. He is a good communicator. He would fire Dorion. He would convince Melnyk on the importance of a strong hockey ops department and attract and make the hires to get it there.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I always disliked Brian Burke but he could be what the Sens need. He has respect around the league. He has a wealth of experience. He would be able to deal with Melnyk. He is a good communicator. He would fire Dorion. He would convince Melnyk on the importance of a strong hockey ops department and attract and make the hires to get it there.
Anything is better than "status quo". Unfortunately, "status quo" is looking more and more likely as each day passes.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Can't wait for that smug idiot Pierre to get the boot. Total ****ing *******.

The only bottle of scotch I have that's worth more than the 'Dorion is fired' bottle is the 'Melnyk is no longer majority owner' bottle. If the hockey gods end up giving us a new owner and Dorion firing on the same day, I'm probably not going to live to see morning.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I think whoever we get will be shit because no actually decent possible President of Hockey Ops candidate would want to work under Eugene Melnyk

Reactions: Samboni

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
How long has it been since there was any update from anyone that covers the Sens?? Better question, when was the last time Garrioch, PR Director of the Ottawa Senators, provided an update on this mystery position?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think whoever we get will be **** because no actually decent possible President of Hockey Ops candidate would want to work under Eugene Melnyk
Cyril Leeder was considered very good, and worked with Melnyk for a long, long time.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Cyril Leeder was considered very good, and worked with Melnyk for a long, long time.
Eh, true. Though things are so bad now I just can't see anyone actually wanting to come in unless they're you know, crap.

Like we're never gonna get a Shanaplan, we'll get some sort of horrible Melnyk monstrosity and the poor guy will have to try to sell it like Dorion does

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While that is true, he didn't take the job to work under melnyk, ownership changed above him. It's not really an analogous situation to hiring somebody now, particularly given all the stuff that has happened since his departure. Anselmi was well regarded and took the job but he quit not long after. That's imo far more relevant.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
While that is true, he didn't take the job to work under melnyk, ownership changed above him. It's not really an analogous situation to hiring somebody now, particularly given all the stuff that has happened since his departure. Anselmi was well regarded and took the job but he quit not long after. That's imo far more relevant.
Fact of the matter is Leeder worked 13 or 14 years under Melnyk. No one knows exactly what transpired between Anselmi and Melnyk. Of course, there are many theories.

I think it was once the writing was on the wall about Lebreton, Anselmi went home as that was why he was brought in. His hotdogs will live on forever...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Eh, true. Though things are so bad now I just can't see anyone actually wanting to come in unless they're you know, crap.

Like we're never gonna get a Shanaplan, we'll get some sort of horrible Melnyk monstrosity and the poor guy will have to try to sell it like Dorion does

The Shanaplan:

1. Draft Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews back to back
2. ???
3. Profit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fact of the matter is Leeder worked 13 or 14 years under Melnyk. No one knows exactly what transpired between Anselmi and Melnyk. Of course, there are many theories.

I think it was once the writing was on the wall about Lebreton, Anselmi went home as that was why he was brought in. His hotdogs will live on forever...
People didn't have the concerns about whether execs would be willing to work under Melnyk that they have today even two years ago. You are making a false equivalency by suggesting melnyks reputation today is the sames as it was when leeder was here or that keeping a role you already have under a mecurial owner is the same as applying for a new one under the same person.

Idk if melnyks reputation will impact the hiring of a new POHO but i stand by my claim that Leeder's time here doesn't give any insight into whether or not it will be a factor.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad