Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You don't know who Sean Burke is? Former goalie ring a bell? As for the inexperienced part, you're probably right.

Loved Burke's masks as a kid. His Whalers helmet is iconic for me.

2zowwtv.jpg

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Olympics shouldn't really mean much Esp for team Canada. It's a pretty easy thing when you have the most stacked team

I guess assistant gm is something for sure but for president of hockey ops I dunno

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Olympics shouldn't really mean much Esp for team Canada. It's a pretty easy thing when you have the most stacked team

I guess assistant gm is something for sure but for president of hockey ops I dunno
the 2018 olympics was the olympics with no NHL player

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I’m down with Burke on the sole fact we all know goalies are smarter than everyone else. :D

But seriously the only thing I can go by is a guy’s experience and where’s he’s worked before because as a fan I have honesty no clue who the F is a decent hire and who isn’t.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sean Burke
Burke, a professional scout with the Montreal Canadiens, won a bronze medal as general manager of Canada’s 2018 Men’s Olympic Team, and built the Canadian rosters that won the last two editions of the Spengler Cup. He has also been part of Team Canada management at the last four IIHF World Championships – as co-GM in 2018 (silver), GM in 2017 (silver), director of player development in 2016 (gold) and as a member of management group in 2015 (gold).
On March 4, 2008, the Phoenix Coyotes hired Burke as the Director of Prospect Development. He was the assistant to the general manager and Coyotes' goaltending coach.
Sean Burke was named to the Arizona Coyotes coaching staff for the 2010-11 season. In this role, Burke oversees the day-to-day development of the Coyotes’ goaltenders as part of the team’s coaching staff.
During his time as Director of Prospect Development with Arizona, the Windsor, Ontario native monitored the progress of the team’s minor league, junior, and college prospects and worked with the team’s AHL players in San Antonio. He was also active in the club’s business operations by serving as a liaison for corporate clients and season ticket holders.
From 2015 ...
From Burke’s first season in 2009-10 until his final season last year he resurrected journeymen netminders and turned them into starters. His first pupil was Ilya Bryzgalov, who notched goal-against averages of 2.29 and 2.48 respectively in his two years working with Burke along with save percentages of .920 and .921.
Mike Smith was an unknown before he held a 2.21 goal-against average and .930 save percentage in his first year working with Burke. Devan Dubnyk turned into a star working with Burke and a Vezina Trophy finalist last season. He used a lot of Burke’s Arizona teachings after a trade to Minnesota.

Seems like a good guy to have in your organization. Not sure of the role .. POHO , I think we want someone more senior with NHL experience as a GM and player development. He ticks some boxes , not sure if he ticks enough. He may suit an advisory role but I would be skeptical coming into that kind of role with the likes of Melnyk and Dorion blowin' their different coloured smoke every couple of weeks.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Burke would be awesome as president

He wouldn't take any shit from Melnyk, which is probably why it wont happen.

EDIT: Oh it's Sean Burke that's getting consideration. That I'm not sure if I'd be happy about.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If you need someone to keep you away from the media, you should not be a GM.

He should be a scout or an AGM. Nothing more. Ever.
Agreed 98%

Problem is that you cannot demote people legally and he has developed the team so far for chemistry and skills.

He needs a POHO to take the reigns for the knowledge and ability he lacks

It can work, I think

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad