Player Discussion Sean Monahan

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Monahan is a below average 1C and this team will be better off without him for a culture change if it comes to that. I’ll die on this hill.
Only if you can get a top 6 RW or top end defenseman, otherwise we are worse off imo

Moving out a player that isn't as good as you hope without addressing our needs does nothing to fix this team. If anything move Monahan to RW

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I’m not so sure competitiveness is really the issue with Monahan. I think his sort of “boring” personality sometimes gives off that look, but honestly, when you watch him he is generally pretty engaged in battles and seems like he wants to win them. Like, you don’t have to be a Tkachuk to be competitive. I’m not arguing that Monahan is the most competitive guy out there, but I don’t see anything to suggest he’s “quit”. I think that’s lazy analysis. When people can’t decidedly pinpoint the problem easily the often default to “lazy” or “low IQ” (sometimes it’s true but other times it’s just lazy analysis).

I think right now it’s a combination of just a lack of high end skill and footspeed for him. Monahan always tries to play the same game as Gaudreau when he just doesn’t have the skill to do it. I look at the times when he’s able to play a down low cycle game when he gets the odd shift with Tkachuk or Bennett and you absolutely can’t question his effectiveness or competitiveness there.

I don’t think it makes a bunch of sense to have 23 and 13 glued to each other anymore and I hope Sutter sees that.

If we only had another higher level C or 2? I would like to see Money on the RW, battling for pucks along the boards and behind the opposition net, and breaking to the middle at the high f/off circle sniping goals through off-aligned goalies movement.
Do you all think: Tkachuk-Backlund (C)- Money (Rw) could work, and JohnnyG-ELindholm-Mangi as our top 6? (Probably not enough size, defensive grit on this line?)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Only if you can get a top 6 RW or top end defenseman, otherwise we are worse off imo

Moving out a player that isn't as good as you hope without addressing our needs does nothing to fix this team. If anything move Monahan to RW

I am seeing a James Neal developing

I wouldn’t give him away but I would do the right deal

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Imagine thinking removing a consistent 60 point center makes the team better.

The teams record without Monahan while he has been a Flame is absolutely horrendous, they've pretty much never won, like literally have maybe 2 wins without him in the 7 years he has been a Flame.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Imagine thinking this team can win with Monahan

Nobody suggested to remove Monahan. We are suggesting to trade him for equal value

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Imagine thinking removing a consistent 60 point center makes the team better.

The teams record without Monahan while he has been a Flame is absolutely horrendous, they've pretty much never won, like literally have maybe 2 wins without him in the 7 years he has been a Flame.
Lol we’re literally a bottom-10 team with him at 2C. How do you suggest improving the team? Move Johnny? Lindholm? Tkachuk? Mang/Dube? Our 1st? Rasmus/Hanifin/Valimaki? Without moving any of those guys we have 0 assets of value and basically 0 cap space and idk about you but I’d rather move Monahan over every single one of those guys

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Right now Monahan is playing at a 30pt pace over 82 games. I don’t view him as that’s what he is, but he’s really struggled this year.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Right now Monahan is playing at a 30pt pace over 82 games. I don’t view him as that’s what he is, but he’s really struggled this year.

21 in 32 is a pace of 54 over an 82 game schedule, and that's with battling presumably a wrist injury (considering his shooting % and faceoff % are significantly down this season).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
21 in 32 is a pace of 54 over an 82 game schedule, and that's with battling presumably a wrist injury (considering his shooting % and faceoff % are significantly down this season).
There is no proof of injury. But even if there is then it’s chronic, it’s part of Monahan. That injury is 3 yrs old.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
There is no proof of injury. But even if there is then it’s chronic, it’s part of Monahan. That injury is 3 yrs old.

Well, I see no reason for Loubardias to make that up. I'll take his word for it. Although, I agree, if it is in fact his wrist again it becomes concerning.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Lol we’re literally a bottom-10 team with him at 2C. How do you suggest improving the team? Move Johnny? Lindholm? Tkachuk? Mang/Dube? Our 1st? Rasmus/Hanifin/Valimaki? Without moving any of those guys we have 0 assets of value and basically 0 cap space and idk about you but I’d rather move Monahan over every single one of those guys

So in your mind Monahan has no value except in the 70 trillion trade threads you make he is the only one ever shipped out, usually for garbage because your assessment of hockey is atrocious.

Also we're a bottom 10 team (we aren't actually) with all those players you mentioned, but let's single out one guy as the reason we suck.

Get a grip people, everyone is and has always blamed Monahan when the team sucks even though the ENTIRE team blows. In some of your minds Monahan is a dumpster fire of a player who holds no value, but the team would be infinitely better without him when theyve shown to be just as useless. The mental mind games is just astonishing.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So in your mind Monahan has no value except in the 70 trillion trade threads you make he is the only one ever shipped out, usually for garbage because your assessment of hockey is atrocious.

Also we're a bottom 10 team (we aren't actually) with all those players you mentioned, but let's single out one guy as the reason we suck.

Get a grip people, everyone is and has always blamed Monahan when the team sucks even though the ENTIRE team blows. In some of your minds Monahan is a dumpster fire of a player who holds no value, but the team would be infinitely better without him when theyve shown to be just as useless. The mental mind games is just astonishing.

He's our 3rd highest ES point getter at center going back almost 2 seasons now. Considering the rumors of the Flames shopping him before and not getting value, that says something about him don't you think?

Getting first line minutes with ample pp time with our best player and pacing for 50-55 pts in a full season isn't great tbh. He's certainly not the only problem, but his regression has been pretty devastating for the team.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
If he is unwanted in Calgary, the Canucks can offer all the Meat and Potatoes any Sutter will ever need for Monahan:

Tanner Pearson
Jay Beagle
A. Roussel
J. Virtanen
and wait for it,

Brandon Sutter

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If he is unwanted in Calgary, the Canucks can offer all the Meat and Potatoes any Sutter will ever need for Monahan:

Tanner Pearson
Jay Beagle
A. Roussel
J. Virtanen
and wait for it,

Brandon Sutter
Sure why not, we even throw in Bennett for Boeser

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Trade top- 9 forward group and top-4 d for a junior team and rights to Ottawa Sens castoffs. Also, include Monahan, just so he isn't singled out.
Now, start over and see how the winds Blow?
:sarcasm: Welcome to the Calgary New-Flames.
Lets face it. Flames need a Connor McDavid replica and a psycho-player in order to compete anymore.
Or, maybe another Tkachuk and a new age Bobby Orr?
:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad