Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Exactly the transformation that would be terrific to see under Sutter.
You know, there's lots of people saying this but Sutter isn't a miracle worker. The team is short on talent and there's entirely too much cap tied up in the bottom 6. Lucic, Ryan and Bennett, thats $11 million or 2 top 6 players. As much as I love Mangi and Dube, these guys are 3rd line players, on a contender. Even if Sutter gets everyone working hard, the club just isn't built good enough to be any better than a middle of the pack team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You know, there's lots of people saying this but Sutter isn't a miracle worker. The team is short on talent and there's entirely too much cap tied up in the bottom 6. Lucic, Ryan and Bennett, thats $11 million or 2 top 6 players. As much as I love Mangi and Dube, these guys are 3rd line players, on a contender. Even if Sutter gets everyone working hard, the club just isn't built good enough to be any better than a middle of the pack team.
Playoffs are a pipedream at this point and Sutter isn't much of regular season guy. He's the guy who scrapes in and lets the real work begin in the playoffs.

The remaining 30 games of the season are going to be an evaluation for who's in and who's out for the retool/rebuild

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Playoffs are a pipedream at this point and Sutter isn't much of regular season guy. He's the guy who scrapes in and lets the real work begin in the playoffs.

The remaining 30 games of the season are going to be an evaluation for who's in and who's out for the retool/rebuild
I think they still have a decent shot at the playoffs, but the team simply isn't good enough and for the most part I agree. Theres far to many guys that aren't willing to do what it takes to win right now and I'm not even just looking at the usual suspects. Its easy to point out Monahan or even Johnny but its throughout the team. You look at that first Oiler goal. That is a shot that you just don't let get through, in a must win game or Tkachuk's late, stupid penalty. Its like a sickness from top to bottom on this team.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

His teams have never had the offensive star power to cruise to 50+ wins. He knows how to parcel the season into 7 game sets to give the team motivation to actually make the playoffs.
I'm not guaranteeing he'll come in and turn this around though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

He is not a miracle worker, but what we're talking about is not a miracle. It's a matter of getting our players to play more to their potential. This is something he has a clear and consistent track record of doing, especially early in a coaching tenure.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That's his bread and butter. Taking 4th-8th place teams to the finals. He's not an x's and o's guy. I'm not sure what he does, but he has some voodoo that makes guys play to their potential. Every player on an NHL roster has the ability to make big plays.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think they still have a decent shot at the playoffs, but the team simply isn't good enough and for the most part I agree. Theres far to many guys that aren't willing to do what it takes to win right now and I'm not even just looking at the usual suspects. Its easy to point out Monahan or even Johnny but its throughout the team. You look at that first Oiler goal. That is a shot that you just don't let get through, in a must win game or Tkachuk's late, stupid penalty. Its like a sickness from top to bottom on this team.
I don't expect Sutter to get outcoached in many games, if any (other than Green, the Canadian division is a sea of mediocre coaches), but I expect the team to let him down a lot for the rest of the season.

It's extremely concerning that the team needs to be taught how to beat two Oilers and Sens teams that are in total disarray, at a crucial point in the season. Shows that they don't have the mental fortitude or the fundamentals to be a serious threat to anyone in the league.

I don't see us getting back in the playoff race unless we do something crazy like win 8 of our next 11. This will have to be a teaching season and a lot of these guys won't be up to the task and will get shipped off in the summer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Exactly the transformation that would be terrific to see under Sutter.

if Sutter can get the Johnny Monahan combo to work again, he is worth every penny

if he can’t, they need to rebuild the first line by trade, draft, whatever ASAP

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Theres far to many guys that aren't willing to do what it takes to win right now and I'm not even just looking at the usual suspects. Its easy to point out Monahan or even Johnny but its throughout the team.

nobody is playing well

1)Johnny and Monahan are below average top line
2)tkachuk and backlund have been huge disappointment
3)lindholm is putting up points but it’s proven he is not a primary threat
4)non existing 4th line
5) I guess mangi and dube play to their potential but inconsistent

6)gio is over the hill
7)fat andy is unfit
8) valamaki is still learning
9)nesterov is a spare
10)Tanev and Hanifin have been ok but they don’t generate threats

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He is not a miracle worker, but what we're talking about is not a miracle. It's a matter of getting our players to play more to their potential. This is something he has a clear and consistent track record of doing, especially early in a coaching tenure.

Exactly. I believe we have the talent, when this roster was playing well under Peters we saw a glimpse of what they could do. I don't think this is the top team in the West, but I believe Sutter is going to make them a threat to win each and every night.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What does Monahan do exceptionally well other than put the puck in the net when Johnny finds him?
When Monahan is playing well he makes great passes ( Gaudreau overtime goal this year, the stretch passes to spring Gaudreau), he also is good at using his stick to disrupt opponents and take the puck away, Monahan also finds the soft spot in the defense in the slot to give Gaudreau an option to pass to him.

The problem is it seems like Monahan has to have confidence to make these plays but when he is on he makes a lot of nice plays that get overshadowed because when he is off he doesn't.

Reactions: User1996

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I can't tell if he willingly takes a ton of nights off or if he's so injury prone that he only has it in him to give it all he's got every now and then. Either way, there's no point in sticking around to find out anymore

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
What does Monahan do exceptionally well other than put the puck in the net when Johnny finds him?
He doesn’t need to do anything exceptionally well for your claim that he only has a slightly higher IQ and elite shot differentiating him from 10 point Mark Jankowski to be completely false. Mark Jankowski sucks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It's ok if he can do that but he cant do that anymore.

Guys like Kurri/Bossy spent their whole career doing that. It's a good skill to have lol

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

You're really going to compare Mark Jankowski, a guy who is lucky to be in the league, to 1st line center (1b at worst) Sean Monahan who averages 60+ points a season his entire career and say Monahan is only slightly better than Mark because he has an elite shot and slightly higher IQ. Jankowski has 1 goal and 3 total points this year. Monahan who according to most fans is horrendous at hockey, has 18 points (most of which are primary).

The f*** is wrong with this forum.

Reactions: Khrox and User1996

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
You're really going to compare Mark Jankowski, a guy who is lucky to be in the league, to 1st line center (1b at worst) Sean Monahan who averages 60+ points a season his entire career and say Monahan is only slightly better than Mark because he has an elite shot and slightly higher IQ.

The f*** is wrong with this forum.
They're kinda right. If all of Monahan's redeeming qualities didn't exist he would be exactly like Jankowski.

Reactions: User1996

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This board is getting ridiculously biased towards strong skaters.

Monahan has been one of our best defensive players, if not our second best this season. He completely shoulders the load defensively for the top line now that Lindholm is gone, something we don’t ask a single one of our other centers to do (see Tkachuk and Mangiapane). The amount of times Monahan is a zone back on the rush because he was battling low while Bennett and Gaudreau were floating above the circles is baffling, to which everyone says “lol Monahan is too slow to join the rush”. The announcers actually found it worth pointing out on Saturday when Gaudreau came below the hash marks to cover his man.
He is 3rd on our team in takeaways and at the pace he is currently he will be 1st shortly. All this while still leading our team at even strength in assists, and two back of Lindholm for the lead in points. But you’ll never see him fly around a zone with the puck, and he makes quick smart passes so you won’t hear his name and people call him invisible.

But with Bennett there are people who still want him in our top 6 and some even say our top centre, despite him being an absolute liability this season. His favorite play on the rush is to chip the puck forward to no one, he is incapable of producing points, and he may actually be allergic to creating scoring chances. But everywhere he goes he flies and he loves hitting people after they’ve already gotten rid of the puck, so some people love him.

Same thing happened when Dube got benched and a lot of people were baffled. It took this board about 3-4 more games to realize he was playing brutal at the time, because he skates hard everywhere and loved chasing people around on the forecheck.

To a lesser extent, people were hard on Anderson for the same reasons. Lots of people said he was incapable of being an offensive d-man, despite him producing at a 45 point pace on a team that’s averaging almost a goal less per game than two seasons ago. But you don’t see him flying up ice to join the rush so obviously he was bad offensively.

I swear some people base their entire opinions on players solely on how much he is the most noticeable guy on your screen and how many times you hear the announcers say his name.

Reactions: Mazatt

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

You do make a very good point. This is why my thoughts have been for a couple seasons, that this team needs a scoring threat, strong-bodied right-hand RW!
Period. Mangi and Dubs can plug & fill within the top-9, as they do now. Just not relying on either to carry the Pply 1 and top minutes line scoring on the right side.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You do make a very good point. This is why my thoughts have been for a couple seasons, that this team needs a scoring threat, strong-bodied right-hand RW!
Period. Mangi and Dubs can plug & fill within the top-9, as they do now. Just not relying on either to carry the Pply 1 and top minutes line scoring on the right side.
A "Laine-type", "Ovi-ish", maybe an up & coming Drake Batherson (Ottawa) or Oliver Wahlstrom (NYI)??

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I could easily throw Kylington onto that list as well, but it’d be a bit hypocritical after actually liking him more than Nesterov this season.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I could add Kylington the list of players this board loves because of his skating, but it’d be a bit hypocritical after I’ve actually like him more than Nesterov this year.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Monahan is a below average 1C and this team will be better off without him for a culture change if it comes to that. I’ll die on this hill.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad