Player Discussion Sean Monahan

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Monahan continually being held to the standard of a top line C, when the people holding him to that standard are also the ones saying Lindholm is our 1C is hilariously hypocritical to me.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Positives
-much improved on Faceoffs, must of worked hard on it over the offseason
-Point Production, still produces fairly well albeit on the lower end side of a 1C(obviously still young)
-PP composure, doesn't panic with the puck and is getting better at finding open ice
-Net Presence, one of our better forwards at getting the puck to the net and then following up
-Along the boards, he's improved comparative to last season, although I wouldn't count it as a strong aspect of his game
-Usually willing to take the shot when he has it, which we need more of
-Offensive Instincts, gets up the ice in a hurry when theres a chance for a fast break or an odd man rush
-Learning of the Center position, has improved as far as being where he should be, plays a very "efficient" game and supports the puck well

Negatives
-Play in the D zone, still see him "waving" at guys far too often, relies too much on his defencemen to get the puck out, gets hemmed in sometimes against other teams top lines
-Speed, don't think he'll ever be the fastest guy, but goes through periods of looking winded and overwhelmed with the minutes he's getting
-Not enough of a catalyst, has taken a step back this year IMO as far as creating chances for himself, too often differs to Johnny or TJ to make things happen, his rookie year he scored 22 goals mostly on his own volition so he certainly has the ability, turning into a bit of a "triggerman" and would like to see him take charge more often and create more as this is IMO the biggest responsibility of a 1C
-Zone Entries, tries to make a cute pass too much rather than going wide or cutting to the slot and firing a shot, needs to simplify.. he's not a playmaker of Gaudreau's caliber. Just get it deep
-Physicality, doesn't need to be running guys over but finish your checks! He's got a pretty big frame and could use it more often especially on the forecheck

So more or less where we were 5 years ago. Unless Sutter can work a miracle I think we can let the dream of Monahan blossoming into an all situations dominant 1C die. He is what he is.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
So more or less where we were 5 years ago. Unless Sutter can work a miracle I think we can let the dream of Monahan blossoming into an all situations dominant 1C die. He is what he is.
There's no difference between our center depth and the one the Blues won the cup with.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Monahan is one of thr only players I could have gotten a jersey of that I am actually disappointed to have gotten.

Followed him since before our draft because I had a broken leg and couldnt help during the floods.

I am a competitive soul.

Monahans compete level would not have me a fan if he were to leave the Flames. Hasn't changed his game from A++ garbage collector and good pointman to first line center. Feels like he plays to score not to play hockey, and the latter precedes the former.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He quit about 3 yrs ago

people blame on injury, I don’t believe it. Plenty people came back from injuries

he is just one big softy with little competitiveness

I also question his skills. When Johnny has the puck, we can expect some good thing to happen some of the time. Nothing good happens when Monahan has the puck most of the time

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m not so sure competitiveness is really the issue with Monahan. I think his sort of “boring” personality sometimes gives off that look, but honestly, when you watch him he is generally pretty engaged in battles and seems like he wants to win them. Like, you don’t have to be a Tkachuk to be competitive. I’m not arguing that Monahan is the most competitive guy out there, but I don’t see anything to suggest he’s “quit”. I think that’s lazy analysis. When people can’t decidedly pinpoint the problem easily the often default to “lazy” or “low IQ” (sometimes it’s true but other times it’s just lazy analysis).

I think right now it’s a combination of just a lack of high end skill and footspeed for him. Monahan always tries to play the same game as Gaudreau when he just doesn’t have the skill to do it. I look at the times when he’s able to play a down low cycle game when he gets the odd shift with Tkachuk or Bennett and you absolutely can’t question his effectiveness or competitiveness there.

I don’t think it makes a bunch of sense to have 23 and 13 glued to each other anymore and I hope Sutter sees that.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The issue is we desperately need scoring and so we’re scared to move Monahan for a more two way option but the realty is he doesn’t have the value to bring back a 1C and we’re just so inconsistent with him. At this point it doesn’t even make much sense to trade him cause his value is all time low. But for the love of god give Johnny a chance without him. Johnny’s gonna look back on the prime of his career and wish that he got a chance to play with someone who can consistently keep up and be defensively responsible

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Monahan is completely useless when he isn't scoring. Wouldn't hurt to pretend to show some effort from time to time.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I’m not so sure competitiveness is really the issue with Monahan. I think his sort of “boring” personality sometimes gives off that look, but honestly, when you watch him he is generally pretty engaged in battles and seems like he wants to win them. Like, you don’t have to be a Tkachuk to be competitive. I’m not arguing that Monahan is the most competitive guy out there, but I don’t see anything to suggest he’s “quit”. I think that’s lazy analysis. When people can’t decidedly pinpoint the problem easily the often default to “lazy” or “low IQ” (sometimes it’s true but other times it’s just lazy analysis).

I think right now it’s a combination of just a lack of high end skill and footspeed for him. Monahan always tries to play the same game as Gaudreau when he just doesn’t have the skill to do it. I look at the times when he’s able to play a down low cycle game when he gets the odd shift with Tkachuk or Bennett and you absolutely can’t question his effectiveness or competitiveness there.

I don’t think it makes a bunch of sense to have 23 and 13 glued to each other anymore and I hope Sutter sees that.
Monahan, and many other players, fall into a category where they skate and play hockey standing up, which leads to people thinking they don't give effort. Matthews and Eichel are two guys who generate a lot of speed but aren't generally hunched over in a way youd expect guys who are speedsters to get speed. Monahan isn't in their tier skating wise, but the way he skates and handles the puck gives off a "lazy" vibe when his entire career thus far has been built upon taking abuse and fighting into the slot (something that a lazy player wouldn't do).

You've hit the nail on the head with how Monahan works. Down low he has solid passing but on the rush his lack of a good saucer pass, and being 0.1 seconds behind on making the right play holds him back from playing the same way as Gaudreau (as well as a lack of moves to evade defenders). But along the boards he is able to use his size to his advantage and the game slows down to his speed where he is able to find the open guy. He might just be a centre who works the boards and cycles into the slot more than anything, and he's being mis-cast as a high flying offensive weapon that can keep up with Gaudreau.

Overall it's just annoying when fans think a player has quit. This is the NHL we're talking about, it'd be obvious like PLD if a player quit. Getting beat because he isn't an effective skater isn't quitting, it's him being put into bad situations given his skillset. We saw tonight that they opted to separate he and Gaudreau during overtime and gave him assignment with Dube as the 3rd option. I think that shows a clear sign that the staff are considering separating him and Gaudreau, or that they recognize his flaws, but it's hella annoying to see people think flaws are a lack of effort instead of a lack of ability to play the way the team deploys him.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I'll build a statue of Darryl if he separates Gaudreau and Monahan for a significant length of time

Gaudreau-Dube-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Bennett-Monahan-Ritchie
Lucic-Ryan-Leivo
We can only hope. Phillips would look absolutely perfect in Ritchie’s spot too and Ritchie/Leivo can split 4th line RW

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Monahan continually being held to the standard of a top line C, when the people holding him to that standard are also the ones saying Lindholm is our 1C is hilariously hypocritical to me.

He is literally Mark Jankowski with an elite shot and a bit higher IQ.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No one in the same stratosphere at ROR in that run.
Maybe not but is ROR usually even comparable to 2019 ROR? I'd say on a normal season, he is actually pretty comparable to Lindholm. The Blues found a perfect fit, ROR had a career year and they won a cup, something that group will probably never do again. They were also one of the hardest working teams in hockey, which our group clearly isn't. So while it is possible to win with the center depth we have, I do agree that this group isn't capable of it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Maybe not but is ROR usually even comparable to 2019 ROR? I'd say on a normal season, he is actually pretty comparable to Lindholm. The Blues found a perfect fit, ROR had a career year and they won a cup, something that group will probably never do again. They were also one of the hardest working teams in hockey, which our group clearly isn't. So while it is possible to win with the center depth we have, I do agree that this group isn't capable of it.
Note that they certainly were not the hardest working team early that year.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Note that they certainly were not the hardest working team early that year.
Once they changed coaches they were. Very seldom did you see guys taking nights off. They also had some great depth and were carried, at times, by outstanding goaltending. I don't think anyone would ever say they were true contenders. They were simply good enough, for long enough, worked hard and good things happened. Thats basically where I see our club but if they're not will to work hard, we'll continue to see similar results.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Once they changed coaches they were. Very seldom did you see guys taking nights off. They also had some great depth and were carried, at times, by outstanding goaltending. I don't think anyone would ever say they were true contenders. They were simply good enough, for long enough, worked hard and good things happened. Thats basically where I see our club but if they're not will to work hard, we'll continue to see similar results.

Exactly the transformation that would be terrific to see under Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad