GDT: SCSF game 6: Vegas @ Montreal : 5pm PT

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They have two choices.

Trade the entire forward group to get one that will fit his square peg style
Fire him.

I vote 2. I couldn't give a f*** about his regular season record.
Fire him for letting Spott's rein of powerplay disaster continue if for nothing else. But particularly because he's made zero adjustments this series, which by extension means zero adjustments from the last conference final and round 2.

I mean the players need to man up and take some f***ing pride in being hockey players too but DeBoer failed. I could take a series loss if we at least looked like a threat doing it. We didn't. If Montreal had a little more offensive talent in their lineup this wouldn't have even gotten to 6.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
That's game. Hope there are major changes for next year.
McPhee needs to fire DeBoer for going back to Fleury in Game 5 after Lehner only allowed one goal in an overtime win.

So, Captain Mark Stone potted 0 goal and 0 assist in 6 games.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
The problem with firing a coach is always who is out there that is better? I don't keep up with coaching news to know who should be given a chance for a head coaching job.

We would lose more regular season games and lose in the playoffs again unless the roster significantly improves. But aren’t we likely to lose Martinez?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Fire him for letting Spott's rein of powerplay disaster continue if for nothing else. But particularly because he's made zero adjustments this series, which by extension means zero adjustments from the last conference final and round 2.

I mean the players need to man up and take some f***ing pride in being hockey players too but DeBoer failed. I could take a series loss if we at least looked like a threat doing it. We didn't. If Montreal had a little more offensive talent in their lineup this wouldn't have even gotten to 6.

Habs adjust after game 1. DeBoer still wondering why they're not scoring goals.

Reactions: hangman005

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The longer we don't get the cup, the older guys like Patches, Stone, and even Pietrangelo get, the more the disastrous management of Cody Glass' development is going to sting.

Not saying that's close to happening but our biggest guns aren't that young.

We have good cornerstones on D but the only potential star forward we have coming up is Krebs.

Reactions: Puikiou

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The longer we don't get the cup, the older guys like Patches, Stone, and even Pietrangelo get, the more the disastrous management of Cody Glass' development is going to sting.

We have good cornerstones on D but the only potential star forward we have coming up is Krebs.

Losing Martinez will hurt. They really need Glass and Krebs to come in and help so they can move one of hte wingers. Also 12m on goaltending.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

"Adjustments" is quite literally the most generic overused coaching phrase used. The Habs didn't adjust. They just started scoring the first goal and trapping the shit out of the Knights. Exactly what they would have done in G1 if they had buried the chances they had early in Game 1. They played every single game the same way win or lose. Sit back and wait for a Knights player to make a mistake and capitalize. Luckily for them Vegas made a lot of them.

Teams don't change their systems on a game to game basis. And if you're system is good enough to get you this far it's not the problem. The players executing the system is the problem. And they somehow manage to that just fine, until they don't.

Reactions: Vegas07

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm convinced DeBoer looked at the game 4 and thought "yeah we did it. We played hard and earned the win, what is there to change?"

To his credit, he did identify that the team played poorly in game 5 and they'd be better in Game 6. And he was right. They were better. I just didn't think the bar for better was below average but not disastrous. I mean if that's all he can get out of a team fighting for its playoff life, that's a massive problem.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
"Adjustments" is quite literally the most generic overused coaching phrase used. The Habs didn't adjust. They just started scoring the first goal and trapping the shit out of the Knights. Exactly what they would have done in G1 if they had buried the chances they had early in Game 1. They played every single game the same way win or lose. Sit back and wait for a Knights player to make a mistake and capitalize. Luckily for them Vegas made a lot of them.

Teams don't change their systems on a game to game basis. And if you're system is good enough to get you this far it's not the problem. The players executing the system is the problem. And they somehow manage to that just fine, until they don't.

Bullshit. Teams make changes all the time. You never saw a VGK get behind the Habs D after game 1 on a breakaway. They put far more puck pressure on the NZ to force passes that Vegas couldn't complete for some reason. This team scored most of it goals off faceoffs, yet we saw the same play every single time in the ozone. Behind hte net, up the wall, to the point, shoot.

You like DeBoer and think he's not the issue that's fine. I see a coach that expects players to fit into his role instead of putting them in the best place to succeed.

So there are two things I think. Either his system puts undue emphasis on the point and deflections.
Or the entire F group thinks the slot and front of the net is not allowed to skated to.

I sure hope it's one, because if it's number two, we have massive f***ing issues on this team.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Bullshit. Teams make changes all the time. You never saw a VGK get behind the Habs D after game 1 on a breakaway. They put far more puck pressure on the NZ to force passes that Vegas couldn't complete for some reason. This team scored most of it goals off faceoffs, yet we saw the same play every single time in the ozone. Behind hte net, up the wall, to the point, shoot.

That's because they never trailed in the series. If Vegas played with the lead more Montreal would have been forced to open up their game. There would have been more room in the neutral zone and more odd man rushes for Vegas with Montreal pressing the issue offensively. It's not rocket science. It's just easier to make a blanket statement on "adjustments" and blame a coach then looking at the players who choked.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'm convinced DeBoer looked at the game 4 and thought "yeah we did it. We played hard and earned the win, what is there to change?"

To his credit, he did identify that the team played poorly in game 5 and they'd be better in Game 6. And he was right. They were better. I just didn't think the bar for better was below average but not disastrous. I mean if that's all he can get out of a team fighting for its playoff life, that's a massive problem.
I mean at least he didn't go all late term Gallant "I thought we played a great game..."..... seriously what games was he watching back then :laugh::laugh:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
And yes, even if Spotts is his PP guy. You step in as the head coach when it's this f***ing worthless.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Sucks that we lost so close to the Finals. But, we've got a good team. Need to tweak it a bit, but, I think the biggest thing is changing our Power Play! Whether it's changing the execution, or changing the coaches, something has to be done!

As for now, have a great summer everyone! Here's hoping for a great off-season!

Reactions: Habs13

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Winning at the highest level can take time. Look no further than Tampa going 5 years between Finals appearance and Cup.

Keep your heads up and remember that the Knights play in a conference without much competition at the top. More legit shots at it are coming.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The PP is a perfectly valid coaching complaint. Mainly because we've seen these players be successful on the powerplay under different coaches and on different teams.

5 on 5 this team was great when they didn't turn pucks over and got bodies to the net. When they didn't do those things they were not so good.

This actually is exactly like when Ducks fans called for Boudreau's head for his lack of "adjustments". The Ducks core players choked before him, they choked with him, and they proceeded to choke after him.

This Knights core choked AGAINST DEBOER under Gallant and have proceeded to now choke under Deboer. Smart money says if they run it back with this collection of players under a new coach they'll choke again.

Reactions: Vegas07

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Losing Martinez will hurt. They really need Glass and Krebs to come in and help so they can move one of hte wingers. Also 12m on goaltending.
It's time for management to dig its head out of its ass and recognize the window to salvage Glass' potential is almost closed. Invest whatever resource you need to in offseason training/therapy for him and make it a team priority with anyone remotely related to player development to maximize his growth every chance they get.

And learn from the mistakes with Glass when developing Krebs. If your only option is off position deployment in a line that's stuck mucking it up with bottom 6 grinders bigger than him, stick him in the AHL until he's big and durable enough to handle it. Don't healthy scratch him after productive/strong performances.

I refuse to believe Glass didn't have what it took. I've been seeing that take a lot lately and I think it's a lazy take and a shit take. And I will continue to think that until I'm dead. Glass got put on a line that demanded he be on his off position playing match ups that his body could not handle and he suffered three significant injuries because of it. Missed a whole bunch of game time and then what happened? He built up his body in the offseason and everyone expected him to just explode with no training camp and 60 fewer games played than his teammates. He struggled a bit and started to pick it up. Then players got healthy and he'd get yanked out of the lineup, often after games where he produced and looked like one of our better players. Then what happens, is he sent down to get game time? No. He rides the f***ing taxi squad for a while until he gets a longer three game look and he looks like his confidence is destroyed, because why wouldn't it be, and he is finally sent to the AHL where he looks like he barely gives a shit about playing hockey.

The team has f***ed him every which way and has refused to make what everyone agreed for a long time was our top prospect and his development a f***ing priority. It's insane. I get that the organizational mentality was focused on winning a cup quickly but you can't neglect your pipeline ever.

The margin of error to undo their f***ups with Glass is so small and the time left to do so is even smaller.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I don't care about the young future of the team.

They already made this decision. They made it in year one and two. All in on now.

Our window is four years at best. Stone and Pietrangelo will surely regress by then but have two years left on albatross deals and Theodore will be due a contract, Tuch with a year left, would need a different goaltender by then. While LA and Anaheim will probably be ready to contend by then.

I think being as good as possible these four seasons and sucking directly after that is most likely better long term than being almost as good as possible now then mediocre after.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
We would lose more regular season games and lose in the playoffs again unless the roster significantly improves. But aren’t we likely to lose Martinez?

Martinez is definitely a goner. Some team will overpay for what he's done in vegas. I like the development of the d-men, but they will be prone to making game costing blunders until they get more experience.

I want McPhee gone for the dumb extensions he's made that are now handicapping the team financially and on the ice.

Reactions: willy702

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Martinez is definitely a goner. Some team will overpay for what he's done in vegas. I like the development of the d-men, but they will be prone to making game costing blunders until they get more experience.

I want McPhee gone for the dumb extensions he's made that are now handicapping the team financially and on the ice.

Which extensions are those exactly? I don't see a single contract on this team that was signed while Mcphee was the GM that was a bad idea. Mcrimmon was at the helm for the current Reaves deal. And the Lehner deal/signing carrying 2 goalies. The Holden contract.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
DeBoer is not the right coach for this roster.

We need some tweaks, not a complete makeover. I'm of two minds on DeBoer, though - we were much improved defensively (of course the emergence after a rocky start of Petro is partly the reason) but worse on offense. I think we need to decide between goalies and not spend $12 million on the position - maybe Thompson is ready. That'll let us get a 1C, or see what we have in Krebs, who I think is legit. If we're not going to develop Glass, trade him for prospects. And ditch Holden/Reaves for cap room if possible.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

The same could be said for Gallant. The caps were in complete command from game 2. Maybe our problem with coaches are that the 2 that we have had are systems guys and when the system works it's great and when it's not it's ugly.

I still have no idea how Vegas played so flat at home for game 5. After watching the highlights I'm not putting all of the goals on Fleury. How is he supposed to stop those cross ice passes at the last second with no d-men covering the man coming down his blind side?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00