GDT: SCSF game 6: Vegas @ Montreal : 5pm PT

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Martinez is definitely a goner. Some team will overpay for what he's done in vegas. I like the development of the d-men, but they will be prone to making game costing blunders until they get more experience.

I want McPhee gone for the dumb extensions he's made that are now handicapping the team financially and on the ice.

Agree completely, McPhee stopped helping the team once the dust settled after after expansion draft. Give him all the credit you want for that, but running a team past that he's not been good. His trades were for guys he had a shot at potentially signing anyways as free agents. He didn't get special deals for them, Petro and he got reamed by Reaves. Basically he's crap as an operating GM.

PDB is an inflexible coach who will die with his system. Yeah he's got a good record, but don't people think that might have to do with the talent he had? Want a good coach? Look at the other bench. They took a less talented team and won three rounds with them. PDBs Vegas run has one win as an underdog and now two losses as sizable favorites.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Winning at the highest level can take time. Look no further than Tampa going 5 years between Finals appearance and Cup.

Keep your heads up and remember that the Knights play in a conference without much competition at the top. More legit shots at it are coming.
I've been saying this - next year we gain Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary and Seattle, and lose Minny, Colorado and the Blues. We're making the playoffs absent a complete meltdown. So figure out the tweaks, and I hope Martinez takes a little less than he can get elsewhere for a shot at the Cup (again). I think we add a legit rookie in Krebs, get rid of Holden, Reaves, maybe Janmark, Lehner if someone wants him and get another ELC to play in the bottom six.

I doubt they're firing PDB - not after two semifinals in a row, though we do not he isn't the greatest fit for this roster. Spott may have to walk the plank.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't care about the young future of the team.

They already made this decision. They made it in year one and two. All in on now.

Our window is four years at best. Stone and Pietrangelo will surely regress by then but have two years left on albatross deals and Theodore will be due a contract, Tuch with a year left, would need a different goaltender by then. While LA and Anaheim will probably be ready to contend by then.

I think being as good as possible these four seasons and sucking directly after that is most likely better long term than being almost as good as possible now then mediocre after.
It shouldn't be that hard to not be f***ing dumb with your top prospects. Two seasons in a row they either waited too long to get Glass good minutes in the AHL or didn't do it at all.

It doesn't take that much away from the focus on the rest of the team to have a good game plan for developing a young player.

You may not care now but when the roster starts middling and fighting for 7th and 8th seeds, it's gonna f***ing matter. And let's say nothing of the fact that if all went right with Glass, that was a slam dunk second line center, possibly even first line. Stephenson functionally working well with our top line was a stroke of dumb luck but even in the best of times he's a complimentary piece at best and Karlsson cannot be relied upon for game defining offense. Center depth may be overrated but it isn't irrelevant.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Agree completely, McPhee stopped helping the team once the dust settled after after expansion draft. Give him all the credit you want for that, but running a team past that he's not been good. His trades were for guys he had a shot at potentially signing anyways as free agents. He didn't get special deals for them, Petro and he got reamed by Reaves. Basically he's crap as an operating GM.

PDB is an inflexible coach who will die with his system. Yeah he's got a good record, but don't people think that might have to do with the talent he had? Want a good coach? Look at the other bench. They took a less talented team and won three rounds with them. PDBs Vegas run has one win as an underdog and now two losses as sizable favorites.

Every single coach dies with their system. Unless you think it's remotely possible to implement a new system mid playoffs with no practice time. And it's quite laughable to suggest looking at Montreal as an example. Their coach was sitting at home with COVID. They played the system Ducharme implemented and he wasn't even there.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
It shouldn't be that hard to not be f***ing dumb with your top prospects. Two seasons in a row they either waited too long to get Glass good minutes in the AHL or didn't do it at all.

It doesn't take that much away from the focus on the rest of the team to have a good game plan for developing a young player.

You may not care now but when the roster starts middling and fighting for 7th and 8th seeds, it's gonna f***ing matter. And let's say nothing of the fact that if all went right with Glass, that was a slam dunk second line center, possibly even first line. Stephenson functionally working well with our top line was a stroke of dumb luck but even in the best of times he's a complimentary piece at best and Karlsson cannot be relied upon for game defining offense. Center depth may be overrated but it isn't irrelevant.

Does feel like they put a lot of importance on the president trophy and protecting people that were irrelevant. Maybe Glass doesn't make it, but I think they're better off if he does instead of say, Reaves who was constantly scratched. To the point where DeBoer thought playing wingers at C was a better answer. smh.

Reactions: HanSolo

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The same could be said for Gallant. The caps were in complete command from game 2. Maybe our problem with coaches are that the 2 that we have had are systems guys and when the system works it's great and when it's not it's ugly.

I still have no idea how Vegas played so flat at home for game 5. After watching the highlights I'm not putting all of the goals on Fleury. How is he supposed to stop those cross ice passes at the last second with no d-men covering the man coming down his blind side?

The team that played tonight should be much better than the one that played Washington. It was pretty clear that this team needed an answer to the middle of the offensive zone but never could figure out how generate chances there. I noticed one adjustment tonight, 2 forwards were sent to stretch the D in the neutral zone to try and make some room, but that makes the center depth, the biggest weakness of the roster, more glaring.

Anyway, this will about do it for me on this board. Good luck in future endeavors knights fans, I'll be headed back to the Blues board until we get eliminated next year.

Reactions: themilosh

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Every single coach dies with their system. Unless you think it's remotely possible to implement a new system mid playoffs with no practice time. And it's quite laughable to suggest looking at Montreal as an example. Their coach was sitting at home with COVID. They played the system Ducharme implemented and he wasn't even there.

So was his system better? He's an "interim" coach which makes it even more laughable. Yeah I'd take him all day every day over PDB. I want him fired but I know it ain't happening. I know Foley won't fire McIdiot either. I just have to admit if I want to be a fan of this franchise I have to put up with a piss poor management and coaching staff.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Which extensions are those exactly? I don't see a single contract on this team that was signed while Mcphee was the GM that was a bad idea. Mcrimmon was at the helm for the current Reaves deal. And the Lehner deal/signing carrying 2 goalies. The Holden contract.

I'm not putting those on McCrimmon. I believe McPhee tells him what he wants and tells him to make it happen plus those are McPhee types of players that he likes. I doubt McPhee has given up any control on the roster. I think McPhee's time will be up in a year or two depending on this other team that I believe he has his eyes set on if they can't win while leaves Vegas with a bunch of over paid vets.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
So was his system better? He's an "interim" coach which makes it even more laughable. Yeah I'd take him all day every day over PDB. I want him fired but I know it ain't happening. I know Foley won't fire McIdiot either. I just have to admit if I want to be a fan of this franchise I have to put up with a piss poor management and coaching staff.

Montreal played the system of Ducharme and Ducharme wasn't even there. So you'd take a guy who literally wasn't even coaching the team over Deboer? That's what you're saying?

And no Montreal's "system" is not better than the Knights. Montreal's players just didn't beat themselves with costly mistakes.

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
Time to correct things in goal.

Build from Lehner. 3 mistakes on behalf of Fleury wrecked this series, and the skaters don’t play like they hear footsteps with Lehner.

Fleury is many things. They don’t include reliable without a super offense.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I don't care because they should trade whoever for help now.

Get Eichel. They've already gone this right now route, can't go half way anymore because then we'll be fighting for seventh or eighth with Krebs and Glass leading the way in three or four seasons and contracts dragging it down.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
It's time for management to dig its head out of its ass and recognize the window to salvage Glass' potential is almost closed. Invest whatever resource you need to in offseason training/therapy for him and make it a team priority with anyone remotely related to player development to maximize his growth every chance they get.

And learn from the mistakes with Glass when developing Krebs. If your only option is off position deployment in a line that's stuck mucking it up with bottom 6 grinders bigger than him, stick him in the AHL until he's big and durable enough to handle it. Don't healthy scratch him after productive/strong performances.

I refuse to believe Glass didn't have what it took. I've been seeing that take a lot lately and I think it's a lazy take and a shit take. And I will continue to think that until I'm dead. Glass got put on a line that demanded he be on his off position playing match ups that his body could not handle and he suffered three significant injuries because of it. Missed a whole bunch of game time and then what happened? He built up his body in the offseason and everyone expected him to just explode with no training camp and 60 fewer games played than his teammates. He struggled a bit and started to pick it up. Then players got healthy and he'd get yanked out of the lineup, often after games where he produced and looked like one of our better players. Then what happens, is he sent down to get game time? No. He rides the f***ing taxi squad for a while until he gets a longer three game look and he looks like his confidence is destroyed, because why wouldn't it be, and he is finally sent to the AHL where he looks like he barely gives a shit about playing hockey.

The team has f***ed him every which way and has refused to make what everyone agreed for a long time was our top prospect and his development a f***ing priority. It's insane. I get that the organizational mentality was focused on winning a cup quickly but you can't neglect your pipeline ever.

The margin of error to undo their f***ups with Glass is so small and the time left to do so is even smaller.

One thing I believe has hurt Glass is the Misfits line that doesn't change except when someone is injured. So Glass is trapped at the top line which could be too much pressure on him or third line where he also doesn't belong. It doesn't just hurt Glass.

Others like Tuch who is definitely better than third line material is blocked as well, more so than Glass but is more physically built to put up with third line punishment. But Tuch is also injury prone and who knows how he's feeling being stuck at the third line. Maybe one day he'll knock on McPhee's door and ask for a trade.

One thing for sure is this is the best chance that they had. That game 5 I will never believe how lifeless the team played in a game that was the pivotal game in the series at home. And Fleury should not be blamed for that game. He faced so many breakaway chances and no one covering the man flying down his blind side. No goalie would stand a chance.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

Get Eichel. They've already gone this right now route, can't go half way anymore because then we'll be fighting for seventh or eighth with Krebs and Glass leading the way in three or four seasons and contracts dragging it down.

I don't think the Knights have the futures for Eichel even with Krebs and Glass on the table. I wouldn't trade Krebs for anyone else that is rumored to be available.

I also think Krebs WILL be a top 6 forward next year so you're better off just keeping him at this point. So it's win now with Krebs.

The immediate changes are going to have to come by swapping out 1 or 2 of Pacioretty/Marchessault/Smith for other wingers that play a greasier game. More Corey Perry type of players less streaky snipers.

There isn't going to be a quick fix 1C. The best chance at a legit 1C IS Krebs in all likelihood.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

As someone who has had the same surgery I will pray for the guy. The numbers of success rate is a lie. There's so many people at pain clinics that are there because they are still in pain. Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning were never the same after fusion surgery.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think the Knights have the futures for Eichel even with Krebs and Glass on the table. I wouldn't trade Krebs for anyone else that is rumored to be available.

I also think Krebs WILL be a top 6 forward next year so you're better off just keeping him at this point. So it's win now with Krebs.

The immediate changes are going to have to come by swapping out 1 or 2 of Pacioretty/Marchessault/Smith for other wingers that play a greasier game. More Corey Perry type of players less streaky snipers.

There isn't going to be a quick fix 1C. The best chance at a legit 1C IS Krebs in all likelihood.

Eichel is only four years older than Krebs, younger than Tuch and most likely much more impactful than Krebs or Tuch will ever become. He's big, fast, capable of scoring more goals than anyone we've ever had, a 1C, signed for five seasons, adds youth. Every box we need he checks.

Tuch, Krebs and two firsts/first and Hague or something is a package some team will need to work hard to beat. The only question is they need to have confidence his health can be okay.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
If it’s me..
I’m firing DeBoer. hiring Steve Spot as the new head coach. Trading Tuch, Krebs and the misfits line. Taking the C off stone and slapping that thing on kilesar. Ryan Reaves will be the new PP coach and I’m bringing back Cody Eakin for 1c. other than that… shit.. I might let Alec Martinez walk so I can get Philip Grobour. Three way goalie tandems wins cup. I seen it.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Eichel is only four years older than Krebs, younger than Tuch and most likely much more impactful than Krebs or Tuch will ever become. He's big, fast, capable of scoring more goals than anyone we've ever had, a 1C, signed for five seasons, adds youth. Every box we need he checks.

Tuch, Krebs and two firsts/first and Hague or something is a package some team will need to work hard to beat. The only question is they need to have confidence his health can be okay.

I'm not disputing Eichel's greatness at all. He's actually my favorite player not on the Knights/Ducks. Given that I've read the Ducks have offered Comtois+3rd+++ I just don't think we can beat that. If I were Buffalo I definitely take that over Tuch+Krebs+Hague+late 1sts, but I would do that if Buffalo would. Like I said before I wouldn't trade Krebs for anyone BUT Eichel.

The other thing is Eichel wouldn't make us a team that scores more greasy goals. We'd still have a serious problem with forwards not going to the net with enough frequency to score the dirty goals it would take to win this time of year. I said the same thing last year and suggested Perry and Maroon. Front office didn't agree.

My personal offseason plan would be something like this assuming Eichel (or any legit 1C) is probably unrealistic:

New PP coach first and foremost.

More of an emphasis on long looks at the young forwards in Henderson. You've got to have some cap flexibility for that first though. You've got at least see what a Dugan or Elevenes or a Dorofeyev can do in what are all honesty meaningless regular season games.

Fleury through a 3rd team with retention to PIT for Desmith

Reaves to the Rangers for a conditional 7th to be a Wilson deterrent

Pacioretty to whichever team has the best offer and will take his full cap hit

If you really wanted to go crazy Smith or Marchessault would be next in line.

At that point you'd have 14.5m in cap space for forward upgrades plus a Martinez extension.

If Landeskog by some weird chance hit free agency I'd throw a 7x7 offer his way. Not likely but that's the style of forward I think we're lacking and it would have the added benefit of weakening our biggest competition. If not him then another top 6 gritty LW with skill. Maybe Killorn as a dump from Tampa. Maybe Hyman if he's not too pricey.

So up front something like
Marchessault-Stephenson-Stone
Killorn/Hyman/whoever-Karlsson-Smith
Krebs-Glass-Tuch

We'd have the same D. Lehner-Desmith/Thompson in net.

And then you'd have ample space for a full roster the entire year plus any big names that might be available at the deadline. Perhaps Hertl if San Jose can't get him signed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not disputing Eichel's greatness at all. He's actually my favorite player not on the Knights/Ducks. Given that I've read the Ducks have offered Comtois+3rd+++ I just don't think we can beat that. If I were Buffalo I definitely take that over Tuch+Krebs+Hague+late 1sts, but I would do that if Buffalo would. Like I said before I wouldn't trade Krebs for anyone BUT Eichel.

The other thing is Eichel wouldn't make us a team that scores more greasy goals. We'd still have a serious problem with forwards not going to the net with enough frequency to score the dirty goals it would take to win this time of year. I said the same thing last year and suggested Perry and Maroon. Front office didn't agree.

My personal offseason plan would be something like this assuming Eichel (or any legit 1C) is probably unrealistic:

New PP coach first and foremost.

More of an emphasis on long looks at the young forwards in Henderson. You've got to have some cap flexibility for that first though. You've got at least see what a Dugan or Elevenes or a Dorofeyev can do in what are all honesty meaningless regular season games.

Fleury through a 3rd team with retention to PIT for Desmith

Reaves to the Rangers for a conditional 7th to be a Wilson deterrent

Pacioretty to whichever team has the best offer and will take his full cap hit

If you really wanted to go crazy Smith or Marchessault would be next in line.

At that point you'd have 14.5m in cap space for forward upgrades plus a Martinez extension.

If Landeskog by some weird chance hit free agency I'd throw a 7x7 offer his way. Not likely but that's the style of forward I think we're lacking and it would have the added benefit of weakening our biggest competition. If not him then another top 6 gritty LW with skill. Maybe Killorn as a dump from Tampa. Maybe Hyman if he's not too pricey.

So up front something like
Marchessault-Stephenson-Stone
Killorn/Hyman/whoever-Karlsson-Smith
Krebs-Glass-Tuch

We'd have the same D. Lehner-Desmith/Thompson in net.

And then you'd have ample space for a full roster the entire year plus any big names that might be available at the deadline. Perhaps Hertl if San Jose can't get him signed?

I agree about greasy goals and Perry. I would have loved him with us. Agreed on Landeskog if they somehow decide to move on from him. Killorn could be a nice shout.

I'm not totally against finally bringing through young players but it's definitely a risk considering our track record with them.

Kuznetsov is available at center, would see if the Rangers would move Zibanejad if they land Eichel.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Montreal played the system of Ducharme and Ducharme wasn't even there. So you'd take a guy who literally wasn't even coaching the team over Deboer? That's what you're saying?

And no Montreal's "system" is not better than the Knights. Montreal's players just didn't beat themselves with costly mistakes.

Yes I would because he was there the first two series. I'd take almost anyone but PDB. But whatever, sick of thinking what if with these morons and their dumb decisions. I'm just moving on, the Knights are not going to get better. They didn't want me around and I guess it's time to say ok I'm moving on to another team.

habslive

Apr 27, 2014
As a Habs fan, I want to say thanks to the Knights for a really entertaining series.

Also, thanks for not calling this run lucky like Leaf fans and Jets fans have done.

Your time is coming. You have the best goalie situation in the league. A killer top 3 defense (though sounds like Martinez might get overpaid by a bad team) and impressive forward depth. I was particularly impressed with Roy. Hadn't really watched him play much.

Time for my team to get wrecked by Tampa!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00