Confirmed with Link: Scrivens Traded to Edmonton for a 3rd

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings acquire an experienced goaltender between now and the deadline. Doesn't have to be anything more than a placeholder, but the fact is, Manchester is poised for a deep AHL playoff run, and Jones and Berube are an excellent tandem for them, IF the Kings decide to make such a move. However, if they want to keep Jones up with the Kings, then a move MUST be made to bring someone to Manch to back up Berube, because Mattias Niederberger wouldn't be the answer over the playoff haul.

Interesting to note that by acquiring Dubnyk, Nashville will ship Mazanec (or Hutton) down to Milwaukee, where Hellberg has been manning the ship, and Darling WAS backing him up, but yesterday they signed Hannu Toivonen (ex-Blue/Bruin.) So, even someone like a Toivonen could go to the Monarchs and be an adequate backup.

As much as it's all about the Kings, it's also about a VERY strong Monarchs team having the goods to go deep in the playoffs, and not be a first round exit squad.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was unware of how the 500 k in cap space was divided out. I thought it was both contracts at a certain % to make up 500 k. Your explaination explain what I was unaware of and thank you for that. I was anware of how that is effected with ben being traded.

Ah ok. Just idea of "buying" capspace seemed odd to me.

Think of it as it's stated in that it's "retained salary" on the contracts. So for Scrivens for example with his 612K contract, TOR "retained" 60K of it. Meaning that 60K is on their cap, their responsibility to pay it. Now Scrivens on LA has a 550K deal. That's his LA contract, they can then do whatever with that deal (trade him, use him, waive him, send him down all on that deal, as if LA signed him to that deal at 550K).

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Ah ok. Just idea of "buying" capspace seemed odd to me.

Think of it as it's stated in that it's "retained salary" on the contracts. So for Scrivens for example with his 612K contract, TOR "retained" 60K of it. Meaning that 60K is on their cap, their responsibility to pay it. Now Scrivens on LA has a 550K deal. That's his LA contract, they can then do whatever with that deal (trade him, use him, waive him, send him down all on that deal, as if LA signed him to that deal at 550K).

very good explanation I had thought it was more then 60 k and the cap space would have went with ben. Thanks again for putting me straight.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
2014 Draft Pick Count:

One 1st Rounder
Possibly One 2nd Round Pick (Toronto has a choice between giving LAK their 2nd pick in 2014 or 2015 – Bernier Deal)
Two 3rd Round picks (EDM’s for Scrivens)
One 4th Round pick
One 5th Round pick
Two 6th Round picks (CAR for Westgarth)
Two 7th Round picks (NYR for Carcillo – which is conditional)

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
Wouldn't it be Bernier for Frattin, 2nd, a high 3rd and 1/3 a season of really good performances in net while our franchise goalie was injured?

That last part has value too.

Seconded. Much appreciation for Scrivens for holding the fort down (actually, if I recall correctly, it was a bit more than that; he was initially playing better than Quick was at that point) in the immediate aftermath of Quick going out. Best of luck to him in Edmonton (shouldn't hopefully be too much of a shock to him, having played for awhile behind Toronto's defense).

To those saying they would've preferred to keep Scrivens for "security:" IMHO they're screwed if Quick does down for the playoffs anyway, so might as well flip a guy who 99.99% wasn't gong to be back next season for something resembling a decent asset.

Random side-note: both the guys with "malevolent" nicknames ('Scurvy' and 'Car-Bomb') are now off the roster. Maybe interesting to...well, no one...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Seconded. Much appreciation for Scrivens for holding the fort down (actually, if I recall correctly, it was a bit more than that; he was initially playing better than Quick was at that point) in the immediate aftermath of Quick going out. Best of luck to him in Edmonton (shouldn't hopefully be too much of a shock to him, having played for awhile behind Toronto's defense).

To those saying they would've preferred to keep Scrivens for "security:" IMHO they're screwed if Quick does down for the playoffs anyway, so might as well flip a guy who 99.99% wasn't gong to be back next season for something resembling a decent asset.

Random side-note: both the guys with "malevolent" nicknames ('Scurvy' and 'Car-Bomb') are now off the roster. Maybe interesting to...well, no one...

That's what's been holding back our offense. Unleash the offense!

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
2014 Draft Pick Count:

One 1st Rounder
Possibly One 2nd Round Pick (Toronto has a choice between giving LAK their 2nd pick in 2014 or 2015 – Bernier Deal)
One 4th Round pick
One 5th Round pick

would you happen to know the condition on the carcillio pic? I don't think i have hear it

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
More likely Nashville wanted someone to take Hendricks and his ridiculously bloated salary. Getting rid of 1.85 mil for the next 3 seasons past this one for a goalie who is UFA at the end of the year? What a steal. No way LA was taking on that stupid contract.

Yeah, good point. I was unaware Hendricks had swindled such a hefty contract out of Nashville. Figured Poile would be much more thrifty than that. Again, wtf is Edmonton doing taking that contract on? Let Dubnyk walk after the season, you aren't making the playoffs anyway.

2014 Draft Pick Count:

One 1st Rounder
One 4th Round pick
One 5th Round pick

What was the condition on Carcillo? Anyone remember?

The fact you noted Scribbles was playing lights out when Quick went down is why we keep him for security. Maybe Jones can do it too, he was certainly playing great, but I'd rather have the guy with most NHL experience under his belt.

scryan

May 1, 2013
So......................

Trade Jones?

Hope we hold him around, and I think we will... but I also think he is gonna get Berneir'ed and will ultimately be too good to ride bench.
We all know how open and honest (lol) interviews are, but he mentioned finding value in being benched here just for the level of practice alone... So hopefully it still works for him.

I have some nagging feeling that Jones has value and will be part of a multi-piece trade for a LW... But I wont be surprised when I am wrong about that.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Because Martin Jones kicked some major ass when he came up, and there was obviously some kind of issue with Sutter and Scrivens.

Fantastic to get a 3rd for him, which will be no worse than the 65th pick in the draft. That area is right in our scouting department's wheel house, or can be used in a trade to be made at a later time this season.

This pick totally makes up for the lack of a second rounder. We went losing the say 56-58th pick to the [as of today] 62nd possibly. Great job by DL maximizing a player value. He'd have been lucky to get a 5th before the draft.

Jones basically outplayed him, and I think the guys looked more comfortable in front of him. Best of luck to Ben.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings acquire an experienced goaltender between now and the deadline. Doesn't have to be anything more than a placeholder, but the fact is, Manchester is poised for a deep AHL playoff run, and Jones and Berube are an excellent tandem for them, IF the Kings decide to make such a move. However, if they want to keep Jones up with the Kings, then a move MUST be made to bring someone to Manch to back up Berube, because Mattias Niederberger wouldn't be the answer over the playoff haul.

Interesting to note that by acquiring Dubnyk, Nashville will ship Mazanec (or Hutton) down to Milwaukee, where Hellberg has been manning the ship, and Darling WAS backing him up, but yesterday they signed Hannu Toivonen (ex-Blue/Bruin.) So, even someone like a Toivonen could go to the Monarchs and be an adequate backup.

Don't see the need. Berube performed great during Jones recall and Niederberger only has to stick for a couple months and then Manchester gets Bartosak unless Red Deer goes on some kind of crazy run after squeaking into the playoffs. You can't play it safe and go with known commodities forever, you have to put guys in a position to fail or succeed and that's what this trade does in spades for Jones, Berube, Niederberger, and even Scrivens. No need to play it safe, guys either step up and stick around or flame out and move one elsewhere.

As much as it's all about the Kings, it's also about a VERY strong Monarchs team having the goods to go deep in the playoffs, and not be a first round exit squad.

Again not a big deal. Look at the last two years and the Black Aces called up. Almost all of those guys are now in the NHL, or the leaders down in Manchester. Having those guys witness the drive and desire it takes to win NHL playoff games is huge.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Yeah, good point. I was unaware Hendricks had swindled such a hefty contract out of Nashville. Figured Poile would be much more thrifty than that. Again, wtf is Edmonton doing taking that contract on?

Some teams have to worry about the cap floor.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
The fact you noted Scribbles was playing lights out when Quick went down is why we keep him for security. Maybe Jones can do it too, he was certainly playing great, but I'd rather have the guy with most NHL experience under his belt.

That's a fair counter; I just don't believe Scrivens (or, in a related element, Jones) in a few months could've duplicated what Quick gave the Kings the past two playoffs (regardless of how good the former looked a couple of months ago). That being the case, the "security element" doesn't matter (again, this is just IMHO) as much as trying to maximize an asset.

Obviously, if Quick goes down and Jones (or perhaps a soon-to-be-aquired-placeholder) completely falls apart and the Kings get swept, more fool me (and, well, more importantly, Dean Lombardi)...

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
(tongue in cheek)
Maybe he got traded to a smaller media market before the Professor Stare got more continental attention than the Kings themselves? *chuckles*

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Best of luck to him! I was hoping he'd stick around until the end of the season, but that's a pretty good return. Good job DL!

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Because Martin Jones kicked some major ass when he came up, and there was obviously some kind of issue with Sutter and Scrivens.

Fantastic to get a 3rd for him, which will be no worse than the 65th pick in the draft. That area is right in our scouting department's wheel house, or can be used in a trade to be made at a later time this season.

With NJ forfeiting their 1st-round pick, it could be the 60th.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
1) Scrivens lost his job to our AHL goalie...he wasn't that good
2) I expected a 4th...to get a high 3rd, I feel like we ripped Edmonton in value
3) A high 3rd can easily be packaged with another pick to trade into the 2nd round, Toffoli/Zykov style
4) Obviously we can trade the 3rd as well if we pick up a d-man/LW that we need, especially to get the other team to take back salary again for a Moulson or whomever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad