Confirmed with Link: Scrivens Traded to Edmonton for a 3rd

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
we upgrade our team by adding Jones and we get a pick for a guy we were going to let walk after the season. Seems pretty awesome to me

That's debatable. No way that guy keeps putting up the numbers he was. He may be an upgrade, I'm not saying he isn't, but it's a small one f he is and we lost the insurance of having three goaltenders who can play at this level. Hopefully there isn't an injury this season again.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Sorry to see Ben and Jenny Scrivens go. They are classy, fun, awesome people and Ben excelled and really helped the team and showed the league what he could do. Still, this might be a good opportunity for him. With Dubnyk off to the Predators and Bryz unpredictable, he really has a chance to become a #1 in Edmonton at some point, depending on how he plays. There was no chance to be a #1 goalie here with Quick and his long-term contract and Martin Jones coming up after a long development with the Kings.

Best wishes, Ben and Jenny! At least we still have your Twitter accounts...

ETA: I don't imagine Edmonton will be a shock. Scrivens is used to playing behind an iffy defense. He played for the Maple Leafs.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
we upgrade our team by adding Jones and we get a pick for a guy we were going to let walk after the season. Seems pretty awesome to me

Quick - Scrivens - Jones was a great scenario though. Just seemed like weird timing to me. But I guess Jones is getting the call permanently.

LA to Edmonton. That's ****ing rough.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Question: Toronto was eating part of Scribbles cap hit. What happens in this scenario? Does Toronto get off the hook now, or are they still eating it even with Scribbles on Edmonton?

Toronto is still eating part of Scrivens' cap hit. The retained salary goes with the player now. Worth noting that Toronto only retained ~60K on the Scrivens contract (taking it from 612K to 550K) but over 400K on the Frattin deal (taking it from 875K to 437K).

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
That's debatable. No way that guy keeps putting up the numbers he was. He may be an upgrade, I'm not saying he isn't, but it's a small one f he is and we lost the insurance of having three goaltenders who can play at this level. Hopefully there isn't an injury this season again.

I agree that we've lost an insurance with Scrivens gone, but personally, I've always felt much more confident with Jones in the net than I did with Scrivens.

I think if it was for a 5th round or later, perhaps, we would be better off holding onto Scrivens as insurance, but for a high 3rd, it's a good move imo.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
So Bernier for Frattin, 2nd and 3rd basically or did I forget something.

Thanks to the professor for getting us through a Quick-less time in a great way.

Wouldn't it be Bernier for Frattin, 2nd, a high 3rd and 1/3 a season of really good performances in net while our franchise goalie was injured?

That last part has value too.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Question: Toronto was eating part of Scribbles cap hit. What happens in this scenario? Does Toronto get off the hook now, or are they still eating it even with Scribbles on Edmonton?

I'd have pushed for a conditional 2nd based on if he resigns. I guess we'll find out right now if Scribbles was really good or just benefited from the system.

I get that LA wants to call up Jones, but I don't really see the benefit of this deal. It doesn't save LA any cap space as others have said, because Jones will be taking up the same amount of cap hit as Scrivens was. Also, Quick-Scrivens-Jones was great in case of injury. Now what happens if Quick pulls a nut or Jones returns to earth? I'd rather have the security than a 3rd round pick.

As for Edmonton, they must want to sign this guy. They have Bryz and Scrivens now and both are UFA's after the season and the Oilers are not going to the playoffs. If they fail to sign him, it'll be a waste of a decent asset.

Don't get this deal from both sides.

Asset management. Scrivens value was at an all time high, and he wasn't going to be here next year. It's slightly risky from an injury standpoint, but I totally understand why we did it. We don't have a 2nd because of the Regehr deal, and this basically replaces that. The Oilers very early 3rd can also be used as a piece in a future deal

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Quick - Scrivens - Jones was a great scenario though. Just seemed like weird timing to me. But I guess Jones is getting the call permanently.

LA to Edmonton. That's ****ing rough.

meh, if we were in a situation where Scrivens was our go to playoff guy, we weren't going to win the cup anyway

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Peace out Professor.

You did well when Quick was out.

BdbsOaSCAAArW8u.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From the oilers perspective it was time to move Double D and we needed someone extra between the pipes. Atleast now this will kill any more Reimer to oiler trade rumours

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Good move. We acquire another asset we could use at the deadline to add to a deal for a top 6 guy.

Jones will get a handful of games which will only help with his progression and he gets to be around the big club for the rest of the year, a chance to settle in and get comfortable as the full-time No.2.

Where does the cap space situation stand after the Carcillo and now Scrivens deals?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's pretty much musical chairs from here on out with the back-up to Quick. Bernier was supposed to be the guy before Quick became the guy, and the Kings held onto that luxury as long as they could. Scrivens was important because he gave the Kings a cheap back-up while they didn't know what they had in Jones, and while Jones was negotiating a new contract. Jones is never going to be the guy with the Kings as long as Quick is here. The next guy won't be either.

After Jones played well, and with Scrivens a UFA, the Kings get a 3rd round pick.

Scrivens played well when he got the chance, and he has those puppy dog eyes(as seen above). Good luck to him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Why the **** does LA do this?

Because Martin Jones kicked some major ass when he came up, and there was obviously some kind of issue with Sutter and Scrivens.

Fantastic to get a 3rd for him, which will be no worse than the 65th pick in the draft. That area is right in our scouting department's wheel house, or can be used in a trade to be made at a later time this season.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
I get that LA wants to call up Jones, but I don't really see the benefit of this deal. It doesn't save LA any cap space as others have said, because Jones will be taking up the same amount of cap hit as Scrivens was. Also, Quick-Scrivens-Jones was great in case of injury. Now what happens if Quick pulls a nut or Jones returns to earth? I'd rather have the security than a 3rd round pick.

As for Edmonton, they must want to sign this guy. They have Bryz and Scrivens now and both are UFA's after the season and the Oilers are not going to the playoffs. If they fail to sign him, it'll be a waste of a decent asset.

think lombardi wants a constant flow of manchester -> kings to keep the franchise tight. once jones proved his worth, get the asset then move everyone up the ladder (jones + berube). plus it prevents the team from going stale and lets the kids know that if they beat someone out for a spot, something's going to happen (johnson/carcillo/scrivens). after being preached patience for so long it would be frustrating if you beat someone out but still didn't get the spot promised

plus, if you look at the trade, it's almost like lombardi convinced edmonton to take scrivens because he knew that it would be a good fit (originally from there), giving edmonton a high chance of re-signing him. i think everyone wins, which may give us a good willing trading partner down the line

i think it was good for both teams. there's probably a good reason why we didn't just trade to predators directly

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So Bernier for Frattin, 2nd and 3rd basically or did I forget something.

Thanks to the professor for getting us through a Quick-less time in a great way.

...and a little cap relief, as the Leafs are paying some of the salary still.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Good move, Dean, although I'm going to miss Scrivens. He played really well for us and the photobomb with Stoll was great.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I'd have pushed for a conditional 2nd based on if he resigns. I guess we'll find out right now if Scribbles was really good or just benefited from the system.

When you do these deals you are trading contracts. Toronto will still be paying some of Scrivens' salary.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
think lombardi wants a constant flow of manchester -> kings to keep the franchise tight. once jones proved his worth, get the asset then move everyone up the ladder (jones + berube). plus it prevents the team from going stale and lets the kids know that if they beat someone out for a spot, something's going to happen (johnson/carcillo/scrivens). after being preached patience for so long it would be frustrating if you beat someone out but still didn't get the spot promised

plus, if you look at the trade, it's almost like lombardi convinced edmonton to take scrivens because he knew that it would be a good fit (originally from there), giving edmonton a high chance of re-signing him. i think everyone wins, which may give us a good willing trading partner down the line

i think it was good for both teams. there's probably a good reason why we didn't just trade to predators directly

Edmonton was also probably desperate to get Dubnyk out of Edmonton given the perception the media and fans had of him as a goalie, and Scrivens played for Eakins on the Marlies, so there's that connection, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00