Confirmed with Link: Scrivens Traded to Edmonton for a 3rd

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Where does the cap space situation stand after the Carcillo and now Scrivens deals?

We only saved Carcillo's salary. Scrivens and Jones have the same salary/cap hit.

i think it was good for both teams. there's probably a good reason why we didn't just trade to predators directly

Or Nashville didn't want Scrivens and preferred Dubnyk, that's always possible as well. According to capgeek the Oilers are retaining some of Dubnyk's salary (about 50%).

HolyShot*

What happened to not dealing within the division? Edmontons going to be a power house now!!!

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
From the oilers perspective it was time to move Double D and we needed someone extra between the pipes. Atleast now this will kill any more Reimer to oiler trade rumours

This is the Kings board...

We are well aware of what you had in net at the beginning of the season when it consisted of Double D and LOLBarbera.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
great move.
jones belongs in the nhl; scrivens too shaky for me

Agreed. I don't think a lot of us saw that in Scrivens in the beginning. He's a good guy, but he is shaky in certain moments of the game. Jones has a calming influence, much like Bernier and his demeanor and the way he talks about the guys is first class. This is the type of guy we want in the organization. Perfect backup.

Scrivens would probably have fetched over 1 mill in the open market based on his performance from this year, so getting a 3rd rounder for him is great.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Or Nashville didn't want Scrivens and preferred Dubnyk, that's always possible as well. According to capgeek the Oilers are retaining some of Dubnyk's salary (about 50%).

More likely Nashville wanted someone to take Hendricks and his ridiculously bloated salary. Getting rid of 1.85 mil for the next 3 seasons past this one for a goalie who is UFA at the end of the year? What a steal. No way LA was taking on that stupid contract.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
LA wasn't going to re-sign him. Sold high and got a low 3rd. Good Deal. Jones is more than capable.

Good Luck to Scrivens, thanks for your service.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Great asset management by the Kings, turning a short term backup goalie into having another piece of asset that he could use either to trade for an upgrade or to just hang onto and restock the cupboard with more prospects.

Scrivens was an adequate backup but the guy sure gave up some back breaking goals that cost the team points. I can think of two games off the top of my head where he just did not come through with a save in the dying moments of the game. Jones is ready to play at this level and is more than capable of serving as a backup who can be trusted to play 20+ games in support of Quick.

Although the Kings don't have their own 2nd round selection in this year's draft, acquiring Edmonton's 3rd is like obtaining a late 2nd.

TopGunner

Gunning For Playoffs
Oct 8, 2013
Rowland Heights Ca.
Toffoli down Vey up and now Scrivens sent to Edmonton, Let's hope DL doesn't stop here and has something much bigger in the works, Kings have become scoring stagnant and is in serious need of some offensive life injected into it. Good luck to Scrivens in Edmonton.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Can someone fimilar with how the cap space we aquire with ben works now? do we still get the full amount or prorated or what?

No idea what you are talking about here? We didn't "acquire" cap space. We got Scrivens as if he had a 550K contract (in reality it is ~612K). The difference of that is covered by Toronto. Nothing changes there, Toronto is still paying and having that difference count against their cap. Scrivens "550K contract" just got traded to Edmonton, and is treated like any other trade.

With the Kings Scrivens had a 550K cap hit. Jones will be recalled to take his spot. Jones has a 550K cap hit. There is literally no difference in cap space now to before the trade. It's the exact same for the Kings.

The ~400K of "saved" space on the Frattin contract is untouched. As in, Frattin still counts only 430K against the cap in LA. His contract is 875K, the difference still being picked up by TOR.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No idea what you are talking about here? We didn't "acquire" cap space. We got Scrivens as if he had a 550K contract (in reality it is ~612K). The difference of that is covered by Toronto. Nothing changes there, Toronto is still paying and having that difference count against their cap. Scrivens "550K contract" just got traded to Edmonton, and is treated like any other trade.

With the Kings Scrivens had a 550K cap hit. Jones will be recalled to take his spot. Jones has a 550K cap hit. There is literally no difference in cap space now to before the trade. It's the exact same for the Kings.

The ~400K of "saved" space on the Frattin contract is untouched. As in, Frattin still counts only 430K against the cap in LA. His contract is 875K, the difference still being picked up by TOR.

I was unware of how the 500 k in cap space was divided out. I thought it was both contracts at a certain % to make up 500 k. Your explaination explain what I was unaware of and thank you for that. I was anware of how that is effected with ben being traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad