3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ

(Apologies I cut out the context of the original comment was referencing! Wanted to make for a smaller quote)

This was in regards to Igor and his out-of-the-blue injuries these past few months. I would like to shake this bad I feeling I get about his health, but these occurrences have been a cause for concern for me.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
(Apologies I cut out the context of the original comment was referencing! Wanted to make for a smaller quote)

This was in regards to Igor and his out-of-the-blue injuries these past few months. I would like to shake this bad I feeling I get about his health, but these occurrences have been a cause for concern for me.

I only remember the rib injury from the car crash and the current one and we don't even know what this one is.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I only remember the rib injury from the car crash and the current one and we don't even know what this one is.

Ankle injury several games into his stint this year. Did miss time.

And just from my POV, he's taken his lumps during these games, including the concussion protocol one time (which also involved his ankle during that same play).

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I think if Fast can't go Fogarty gets in the lineup because he can p.k

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Hank, who has played more playoff games as a Ranger than any Ranger ever, had another strong game today.

The rookie, who has never played an NHL playoff game, and has all of 10 NHL wins, is “unfit to play”.

How lately are you talking here?
I’m talking about the last few years, although the more recent, the better. Igor is not a normal rookie either. He’s been arguably the top goalie prospect in the world since forever, he’s already 24 years old, and he has a ton of KHL experience, which is the 2nd best league in the world. Hank has a very good game. No denying that. But he’s 38 and that’s pretty old in this league.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m talking about the last few years, although the more recent, the better. Igor is not a normal rookie either. He’s been arguably the top goalie prospect in the world since forever, he’s already 24 years old, and he has a ton of KHL experience, which is the 2nd best league in the world. Hank has a very good game. No denying that. But he’s 38 and that’s pretty old in this league.
24 is still young to be an NHL starter, though he does have more pro experience than most

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
DeAngelo has no idea he's dumb, that's the difference.

I think he's still standing behind the net.
DeAngelo standing behind the net with under a minute left was one of the most bizarre things I've seen. I know he had some pressure but man you need to do everything you can to advance that puck as quickly as possible, not wait for a perfect breakout.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
The strength of both the Isles and Hurricanes is their system. It's not surprising that both teams were able to get right back to it after the break.

Conversely, it's not surprising that with our team's reliance on passing, rust has us looking out of sync.

The Canes are heavy on the forecheck. Multiple times in the game our D were holding the puck frozen like deer in headlights as a forechecker bore down.

Question: Are the Canes in good enough condition to sustain that pressure through the remaining games?
Even in this game they seemed to wear down at times. We need to take advantage of those openings.

Question: Can our D make the adjustment in time?
Either way, it's crucial experience for the young guys.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Never said hank lost the game, what I said was that Carolina was able to gain entry in our zone by dump ins that Shesterkin could eliminate. Hank should have had the first one, he stopped the puck well after that but we got pinned in our own end too often because he can't play the puck like Shesterkin can. Nothing against the way Hank played today but Carolina plays the dump and chase and either Shesterkin or Georgiev would be better suited in the net to eliminate that. The real reason we lost was because DeAngelo, Panarin and Zibanajad couldn't get the pp going but having Shesterkin in the net allows us to get the puck moving north quicker and makes the other team question dumping it in in the first place.
Don’t bother. I don’t get why so many Hank fanboys either straw man or purposely ignore the nuance in the argument. Almost no one is saying he played bad or lost us the game. We’re just speculating how the game would have looked like with Igor in net. At the end of the day, it was the defense and forwards that lost us the game. But, even with a bad game by everyone else, someone like Igor may have found a way. Which is not to say it’s Hank’s fault.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
24 is still young to be an NHL starter, though he does have more pro experience than most
It’s still young, but look at Carter Hart. I still considered Igor a better goalie prospect than him. Igor is 3 years older. Some elite goalie prospects, which are few and far between, become starters by 23/24. It’s not impossible. Especially ones with pro experience like Shesterkin

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Just a few other takeaways from today:
1- Brett Howden. His issue is strength. He's fast enough to get to the play. Smart enough to know where to go. Just needs to a much, much stronger base. Reminds me of rookie Petr Nedved just in regards to how easily he gets knocked off the puck or his feet. If he gains strength, he will be a decent bottom 6 forward, and likely a wing. If not, he'll be in Europe in 2 years.
2 - We are playing with house money. Need to remember that. Team is not going to win the stanley cup. And if we lose and get a better 1st pick position or two is fine by me.
3 - this is the perfect way to help the kids learn the rigors of playoff hockey. And with the faster pace and harder intensity, it will be invaluable to guys like Kakko, Chytil and Gauthier moving forward. They all have the size, speed, skill to one day be a royal pain in the you know what in the playoffs.
4 - Team slowly figured out how to play the right style and simplify their game and play harder. But need to do that for 60. And need much better puck support. There were very few 5 ft passes.
5 - Kakko must continue to work on his foot speed. BUT, what's different about him now is he's constantly moving, especially in the offensive zone and that's creating a lot more space once he gets the puck. He's no longer going back and forth and back and forth in the corners trying to beat defensemen. He's cycling. He's finding soft spots. He's moving, moving, moving. Most exciting part is the adjustments he's been able to implement in his game in a short time. Bodes well as he continues to grow and develop.
7. As well as Hank played, I feel like Shesty's stickhandling could make a major difference against Carolina. If he can help limit the effectiveness of their heavy forecheck, it would neutralize a big portion of their approach.
8- D'Angelo is def nursing something. He was lacking explosiveness and seemed to play kinda timid for him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Personally, I feel like this is a great experience for this roster so while I want to win, I can’t say I would be heartbroken if we didn’t.

Regardless of the circumstances behind getting into this type of playoff series, it’s a playoff series nonetheless. And I feel fortunate our guys have a chance to see what that’s about.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
They played much better in the 3rd and Kakko looked incredible. I’ll focus on the positives and hope we can build on that.

Yep. All I want out of this is some experience and development for the young guns, and a high draft pick. We might win a round, but anyone who thinks this team is built for the playoffs is kidding themselves. Even when our top guns get going we don't have the depth, the bottom 6, or the defense to seriously consider a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad