Post-Game Talk: SCQ #1 - 8/1/20 | RANGERS @ hurricanes

3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
I feel Mika and Panarin did not work out hard during the break. Mika doing magic tricks and djing. Kakko was busting his arse in Finland.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’m not sure we need lineup changes. Just need to play better. Also the last change, which we’ll have in games three and four, I assume, could be a big factor.

e: of course, if Fast is out, giving Kravtsov a shot might make sense. At least until Lemieux is back.

Ahh. You think there's going to be a game 4 :sarcasm:

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Kakko looks like he's gone up a couple of levels here. The offense should be coming soon. Bottom line while Hank didn't play poorly, the team clearly doesn't have the confidence in him that it does with Shesterkin. There are many reasons the Rangers won 83% of the game with Shesterkin in goal and 45% with Hank in goal. I don't believe for a second Shesterkin was unfit to play. That's a move a loser organization makes. First time in a long time the Rangers have gone in the wrong direction. 5 game series you don't put the third best goalie on your roster in net.

That being said, I pointed out the lack of playoff experience of the Rangers making it tough to win this series. I think you especially saw it with DeAngelo and Fox who looked overwhelmed.

Reactions: egelband

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Canes loaded up for the playoffs with Sami,Brady and Trocheck..we lost Fast and with Brendan sitting our lack of depth has been exposed. Bread was toast and 23 and 55 tried but were lacking. I love our future and our coach. The hype for this team before this series was covid inspired boredom. Canes could go far.

Reactions: zukeisgone

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
This team was a complete shell of it's pre-covid self offensively and we still hung in there till the end which is a good sign. If Panarin and Zib can get going we still have a great shot

Reactions: zukeisgone

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
Seems like as soon as Fast gets injured, the whole game plan (whatever that was) became Plan B and we saw what Plan B looked like.

Sans Gauthier and Kakko, the whole team skated in mud.

Why is it that Kreider only plays with a high level when a fire is lit under his wallet?

Using a Bill Chadwick reference, Panarin was out for a Sunday skate.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There’s a reason the rangers are consistently outshot with hank in net and it has nothing to do with his ability to stop the puck and everything to do with his rebounds and inability to make any kind of play with the puck on his stick. Carolina seals walls so well at best hank gets a puck and flips it at the glass. He can’t make an actual pass. He kicks slow pucks coming at him into corners that lead to 1 on 1 battles instead of making a play to a dman or even gloving it and killing the play. It’s how he’s always played.

we again are a completely different animal with Shesterkin. Instead of hanging on for dear life we are pushing the play. We have hung on for dear life for the better part of 15 years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hank's puck handling definitely led to some problems in this game. There were 3 occasions that this happened in the first period alone and a huge part of why this team was having trouble getting anything going.

He did all he could to win this game, but hes always been horrible with the puck on his stick.

Also how in the f*** does Staal have 10 votes in this poll? A big hit and a fluke goal (on honestly, what probably the hardest shot hes taken in 6 years) doesn't erase the fact that he was the main culprit for goals 2 and 3.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Kakko looks like he's gone up a couple of levels here. The offense should be coming soon. Bottom line while Hank didn't play poorly, the team clearly doesn't have the confidence in him that it does with Shesterkin. There are many reasons the Rangers won 83% of the game with Shesterkin in goal and 45% with Hank in goal. I don't believe for a second Shesterkin was unfit to play. That's a move a loser organization makes. First time in a long time the Rangers have gone in the wrong direction. 5 game series you don't put the third best goalie on your roster in net.

That being said, I pointed out the lack of playoff experience of the Rangers making it tough to win this series. I think you especially saw it with DeAngelo and Fox who looked overwhelmed.

I can understand the frustration, but I can't see a scenario where Quinn sits Igor to appease Hank. He proved that he will go with his best option during the season. On top of that, I can't see how the organization would be willing to alienate their goaltender of the future. If he weren't hurt, he would at least be the backup.

Also, IMO, Fox didn't look at all overwhelmed. It was his first playoff game and he was able to keep his composure. He escaped the forecheck most of the time and made the outlet pass. In many of those cases, the puck never made it out of the zone because the winger was closed off. Hopefully, they watch the tape and figure out a way to move the puck quicker and use the middle of the ice.

Reactions: haveandare

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Also, if you're trying to appease Hank, you don't tell the world that the plan was to start Igor. Igor probably tweaked something in Friday practice.

Reactions: haveandare

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way if you watched the habs pens game what Carey Price did to start that game is what we needed from our goaltender. Instead like clockwork hank got beat on the first shot of the game and we’re immediately chasing it the rest of the night .

I don’t think it’s a hank hater thing to point out the obvious that over the past few years he has religiously been scored on in the first couple mins of his starts. Before the team even has a second to settle in. He was fine the rest of the way made some big saves as I pointed out in the thread but his style does not make this team a playoff team. We have too many holes still.

Shesterkin’s style on the other hand makes us a much better team. And his ability to keep things calm and keep the team in games is also big. He very rarely lets us go down by 2 goals. He rarely gets beat early in games. (And I’m talking his career KHl AHL NHL)

we’re just a totally different team with him

Reactions: TominNC

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
There’s a reason the rangers are consistently outshot with hank in net and it has nothing to do with his ability to stop the puck and everything to do with his rebounds and inability to make any kind of play with the puck on his stick. Carolina seals walls so well at best hank gets a puck and flips it at the glass. He can’t make an actual pass. He kicks slow pucks coming at him into corners that lead to 1 on 1 battles instead of making a play to a dman or even gloving it and killing the play. It’s how he’s always played.

we again are a completely different animal with Shesterkin. Instead of hanging on for dear life we are pushing the play. We have hung on for dear life for the better part of 15 years.
That would track as a theory if it weren’t for all the games Shesterkin played this season where we were still out-shot. Goalies have an effect, ok, but our D has been trash. Quit overlooking the obvious for a convenient narrative.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Also, if you're trying to appease Hank, you don't tell the world that the plan was to start Igor. Igor probably tweaked something in Friday practice.

I agree I think he probably tweaked something didn’t think much of it and it tightened up as the day went on. I will say

I think it’s minor and he probably could have played if it weren’t for having a Henrik Lundqvist chomping at the bit to get in. I think Quinn has that pressure on him for sure and it goes one of two ways for him. He can be cautious with Igor play hank and if hank wins and dominates like he had with Carolina it’s a great story. If he loses he never has to worry about going back to the rookie goalie. Zero questions asked he tried and failed.

Reactions: Crease

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That would track as a theory if it weren’t for all the games Shesterkin played this season where we were still out-shot. Goalies have an effect, ok, but our D has been trash. Quit overlooking the obvious for a convenient narrative.

Just simply not true. Outside of a couple games our shots against were much better in his starts. And we were in control of most of those games from start to finish because we weren’t trailing from the second the game started.

Attachments

• 37C3E015-899A-4ABA-8079-3BC00C209E8F.png
    37C3E015-899A-4ABA-8079-3BC00C209E8F.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad