Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
Can anyone name some North American players who were passed over in multiple drafts and then went on to become impact players? Thanks

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Can anyone name some North American players who were passed over in multiple drafts and then went on to become impact players? Thanks
Tanner Pearson is the most recent that I can recall. Tyler Johnson as well.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
For The Athletic subscribers, there is a nice, in-depth article about Perunovich : Being overlooked twice in the NHL Draft didn’t deter UMD's...

Kid sure looks dedicated to his craft.

We want somebody like this who doesn't quit and takes nothing for granted. The Blues picked him when others didn't. Loyalty is a rare thing to hope for in today's professional sports leagues, but what we can hope for is pride in the team and a drive to play everyday like its a privilege to be where you are at.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He has been out the last couple of days.

ESPNu was playing the national championship, not really thrilled with Perunoich. But with his team up, he was on the ice for the last minute of the game and played it very well.

Thought he was small and didn’t get into a ton of board battles, but was positionally sound and won more then a few pucks using his stick in those battles he did engage. Heads up player with a great first pass.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’ll have to do a lot more research on Scott, but, like many others in this thread, I’m not overly impressed from the UMD championship game. I’m more upset about Scott being a second round pick than I am with him being 5’9”. Even if he hits a growth spurt, I worry that there isn’t enough upside to him given that his skating looks good, but I didn’t really see too much else. His intangibles seem promising, and I think he’s similar to Dunn in that he won’t back down because of his height. He seems like a really cool guy that I hope everything turns out well for, but I’m just not convinced at this point.

Looks like I’ll be adding college hockey to my list of non-NHL hockey to watch this year.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Thanks for the article this was a good read. Interesting to note that Perunovich's dad is 6'3 and he didn't grow until his second year of college, hopefully something similar will happen for Scott.
Sure. I'm from Vancouver BC but Perunovich was my sleeper pick to watch this year and I was curious to see where he would wind up. I thought he could actually go in the first round as he had an amazing year including a good WJC and a solid NCAA championship run. Our local team took a very similar player in Quinn Hughes 7th overall and most here seem quite happy about it. I obviously think you guys have a real steal on your hands but it should be fun following his progress regardless.

Cheers guys.

Reactions: stl76

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
So what’s up with him ? Seems to have a good season. Will he be pro next season ?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Still needs to bulk up. Better to stay for another year of college and live in the weight room.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
He needs to turn pro. Nothing else to prove at college level.

To add, I'd rather we sign him at the end of this season before he draws interest from teams like Boston or the Rangers and he decides to go the UFA route. Our prospect pool is already depleted, letting one of the few talented prospects go UFA is a no go. If he doesn't want to sign this off-season, trade him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
To add, I'd rather we sign him at the end of this season before he draws interest from teams like Boston or the Rangers and he decides to go the UFA route. Our prospect pool is already depleted, letting one of the few talented prospects go UFA is a no go. If he doesn't want to sign this off-season, trade him.
His status as a potential UFA may also bring his trade value down. Right now he's a "rent-a-prospect" lol! I agree he needs to go Pro, however. The AHL would be good for his development. Currently he is a big fish in a small pond.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Perunovich is killing it again this year, with the 2nd highest assists-per-game in all of college hockey. (2nd to Vegas's 5th rounder in '17, Jack Dugan)
With Faulk, Dunn, Mikkola, & Gunnarmeester already in the fold on the left-side (and Borgman, Walman & Pouliot in the system), there's a lot of guys currently ahead of him.
But long-term, he may slide in right behind Faulk so I'd expect him to be signed and in a Blues' uniform by this time next year.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The Blues prospect rankings are up at the Athletic. On Perunovich, this is what their writer had to say:
Scott Wheeler said:
You don’t play a leading role in back-to-back national titles by accident. Perunovich has looked like one of the best offensive defensemen in college hockey almost since he entered the league. His defensive game is where I’ve seen the most growth in his development. At 5-foot-10, that was always going to be where the questions lay: can he defend, at that size, at the NHL level? I’m now all but certain that he can. Not only is he leading the Bulldogs in scoring as a junior, but he has also taken on tougher defensive assignments, is playing the most physical brand he has played to date and spends so much time on offense, that he doesn’t need to defend all that often. Above all else, Perunovich’s biggest strength is the way he sees the play develop. He’s one of those rare defenders who can process and break down where all five defenders are moving on the ice, and then make the play none of them expect him to make through a seam none of them saw developing. While he has the skill to make the quick stretch pass, walk the line or run a power play, it’s that ability to read the play and be creative that takes a good offensive defenseman and makes him a great one. He’s not going to be a minute-eater at the NHL level but he has a chance to play on a second pairing and drive offense.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I wasn't too psyched about the Perunovich pick at the time but he has undoubtedly made a ton of progress in college. Hopefully the Blues can sign him this summer.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad