Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This pick could be a diamond in the rough. I'm hoping for that. But it's gonna take some time to play out.

:popcorn:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Perunovich is not some frail 162 lb kid - most recent reports had him at 176 lbs. Another year+ of development could see him at 5'10" 185 and that's plenty big. If he can build off his offensive production in his sophomore year while improving his 2-way play, he'd probably be best suited to turn pro and begin training in the AHL.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
One of the things that concerns me is that both Bokk and Perunovich mentioned in their interviews that the team had talked to them before the draft and said they intended to take them. Certainly with the second pick, but arguably also with the first, there were guys left on the board who were rated higher than the guys we picked and filled an organizational need. For all the talk about best player available, I hope we didn’t lock in on “our guys” and leave a better player on the board just because we gave a prospect an assurance that we intended to draft them.
I bet the conversation was more in lines of "we are interested in you and we may pick you if you are available". I can't see them ever telling a player that it was a certain they would be picked outside of maybe the top 3 players.

Reactions: The Note in MI

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
I still can't for the life of me understand how you can draft Perunovich ahead of Tychonick if you are looking for LHD puck moving dman. For one he's bigger, 2yrs younger and I would say a higher ceiling. Sorry but not impressed at all here.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What I can't figure out is why a LD at all? We have no RD prospects behind Schmaltz. None. Bortuzzo is a free agent next year, Pietrangelo in two. I would say our RD depth is somewhat lacking, and potentially a very serious concern.

Reactions: EL Bandito

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
Yeah don't get me started on drafting RHD. Xavier Bouchard was there until late 6th. They pick mighty mouse Hugh Mcfging kidding me over Simon Johansson in the 5th. There was a whole slew of dman in this draft and come out of it with Perunovich. I do really like Tyler Tucker in the 7th though.... and yet again another LHD.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I bet the conversation was more in lines of "we are interested in you and we may pick you if you are available". I can't see them ever telling a player that it was a certain they would be picked outside of maybe the top 3 players.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a box full of jerseys with different nameplates on them, the coverage of that specific detail annoyed me. The same with Jim Thomas breathlessly asking about Bokk being told about the Blues drafting him. “You mean the sports psychologist told you???” ... No dumbass, why would you think that lol. I’ll never forget the first few months of last season when Yeo would get this face every time Thomas had a question in the post game scrums of like “oh geeze, this guy again.” I’ve always hated that part of the Post Dispatch, they clearly don’t care about hockey enough to put a guy who knows something about the sport on that beat

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Keep in mind that until last year, Jim Thomas basically new nothing about the Blues and hockey in general. He was the Rams beat writer and covered the NFL for the PD. I was surprised that they took someone like that to cover the Blues, but maybe that was the best that they had to work with? I rank most of the PD articles just above ESPN who for most part, consider it a victory when they spell NHL correctly.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I really don’t love our draft for a lot of the reasons mentioned. Bokk was a solid pick in my opinion, but I still have questions about him.

But our second pick was pretty frustrating given the players left on the board.

I am not a fan of overage picks, nor am I a fan of low ceiling players.

Overage players should look better in their draft years over previous years just for the mere fact that they have the developmental timeline advantage. That’s a huge factor at the age of these players. You are essentially taking on motre risk with these guys because few ever turn out because they are behibd the curve and you have to account for their advantages heavily when scouting them.

The low ceiling players are just a waste of assets in my opinion. I share similar feelings as Easton. My basic premise is: why draft players that I can easily find in UFA for a relatively similar price, yet more experience? Alternatively, it’s harder to find high talent players in trade or FA that won’t cost you either high value assets or cap space, if you can even acquire them in the first place.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I really don’t love our draft for a lot of the reasons mentioned. Bokk was a solid pick in my opinion, but I still have questions about him.

Overage players should look better in their draft years over previous years just for the mere fact that they have the developmental timeline advantage. That’s a huge factor at the age of these players. You are essentially taking on motre risk with these guys because few ever turn out because they are behibd the curve and you have to account for their advantages heavily when scouting them.

The low ceiling players are just a waste of assets in my opinion. I share similar feelings as Easton. My basic premise is: why draft players that I can easily find in UFA for a relatively similar price, yet more experience? Alternatively, it’s harder to find high talent players in trade or FA that won’t cost you either high value assets or cap space, if you can even acquire them in the first place.
Weren't Husso and Parayko both overages? As was Perron. Guys sometimes slip through.

As to his ceiling, why do we think it is low? Because he is short? I wouldn't say Krug or Ellis or Spurgeon are easily replaced.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What I can't figure out is why a LD at all? We have no RD prospects behind Schmaltz. None. Bortuzzo is a free agent next year, Pietrangelo in two. I would say our RD depth is somewhat lacking, and potentially a very serious concern.
I mean I get having depth at every position but why draft guys that are just going to be blocked by Pietrangelo and Parayko? Look at Jordan Schmaltz, he can’t even crack the lineup. It’s simply not a big need. If we need depth guys, those can be signed literally every summer. See: Nate Prosser.

Bortuzzo and Pietrangelo are 2 guys I am not that worried about losing. This mass panic needs to stop.

With that said, I hate this draft pick. Not a fan at all. But that’s not because he’s a lefty. It’s because he’s an over aged shrimp that we most likely could have gotten later than the damn 2nd round.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Weren't Husso and Parayko both overages? As was Perron. Guys sometimes slip through.

As to his ceiling, why do we think it is low? Because he is short? I wouldn't say Krug or Ellis or Spurgeon are easily replaced.
I should have been more explicit. I wasn’t calling Perunivich a low ceiling player (although he might be lower that some other available options). That part of my post was more a general frustration with our later draft picks overall.

As for the overagers, I am not saying never take them. But we took two this draft. That seems like a lot. And we recently took Bleakely (sp?), who I wasn’t impressed with either. It seems we have moved on from using them in special instances to purposely selecting them as some sort of strategy.

On Husso, I am not sure if he was an over age draftee, but goalies are different to me. They can get stuck behind other starters due to seniority. It some instances it might be better to draft them a year later. They also take longer to develop, so there might be some merit on that front too.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

I get your point, and I would agree if it was like Kevin Bahl or something. But the thinking is that Perunovich is gonna end up being like Mete/Makar/Girard/Spurgeon/Krug/whoever. The hope is that he is a true late bloomer, and he’ll catch up to those guys who were at a certain level at 18. And that’s fine imo. The thought is that instead of competing for Perunovich or McGing in a few years when they’re ready for the pros, by drafting them we get first dibs. All the same, I thought there were better college-bound players available. So idk, this is the kind of pick (all of them from this draft are) that will take a few years to turn out. It’s not the most exciting pick today, but we’re so deep right now that these riskier picks are probably, arguably the kinds of picks we should be taking. So yeah, looking forward to what Perunovich can do over the next few years, it goes without saying that it would be awesome to see him make it at some point.

Reactions: Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yeah don't get me started on drafting RHD. Xavier Bouchard was there until late 6th. They pick mighty mouse Hugh Mcfging kidding me over Simon Johansson in the 5th. There was a whole slew of dman in this draft and come out of it with Perunovich. I do really like Tyler Tucker in the 7th though.... and yet again another LHD.

Well it's kind of a catch 22. Everyone wanted Barmstrong to draft boom or bust type prospects, and to that point, there were a lot of people that I saw on the boards that were continually frustrated that we avoided players of heights below 5'10. Either the Blues scouting saw some really good talent in these players, or there just wasn't a lot of talent this year. We won't know till 3 or 4 years down the line, but people really ought to relax until we've watched the kids mature for a few years.

Reactions: Blueston

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I can't really say I hate this draft, but I just wish the Blues chose one of the guys that started falling instead of reaching the entire draft after the first round. I wouldn't mind a Perunovich if they had taken a Dudas or Kurashev afterwards. I'm in agreement with Easton that it is promising to see the Blues buck the size issue for a draft. But I can't help but feel lukewarm after yesterday.

That said, I'm excited to see these guys personally this week at camp. Game footage is great, but I do think there is value in seeing players in drills and scrimmages along with actual games.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Perron and Husso were, but Parayko was not.

Not willing to comment specifically on Perunovich's ceiling myself until I get a few more views in, but it's hard to compare his ceiling to the players you are mentioning simply because they're all the same height. Ellis was drafted 11th overall in his first year of eligibility. That's was not a guy who came out of nowhere. There were very high expectations there from the get-go.

Krug and Spurgeon might be better comps, but my limited viewings of Perunovich haven't exactly reminded me of them. What makes you think his ceiling is that high?

We'll see how it goes. My mind is open. Plenty of time for him to change it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not willing to comment specifically on Perunovich's ceiling myself until I get a few more views in, but it's hard to compare his ceiling to the players you are mentioning simply because they're all the same height. Ellis was drafted 11th overall in his first year of eligibility. That's was not a guy who came out of nowhere. There were very high expectations there from the get-go.

Krug and Spurgeon might be better comps, but my limited viewings of Perunovich haven't exactly reminded me of them. What makes you think his ceiling is that high?

We'll see how it goes. My mind is open. Plenty of time for him to change it.
To be clear, I have no idea how good Perunovich will be or what his ceiling is. I don't even know if he is good enough to play in AHL. I just object to the notion that small defensemen who put up good offensive numbers have lower ceiling in today's NHL.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
To be clear, I have no idea how good Perunovich will be or what his ceiling is. I don't even know if he is good enough to play in AHL. I just object to the notion that small defensemen who put up good offensive numbers have lower ceiling in today's NHL.
I don't think anyone is saying that. Heck, I'm kind of notorious for believing that size is less important in today's NHL than it used to be.

Still, there's no denying that being able to physically defend is an important part of the NHL, especially for defensemen and centers. Guys who are 5'9'' and under 180 lbs are at an extreme disadvantage in that area. Some are able to overcome anyway (notably more than in the past), but they're still very much the exception, not the rule.

I don't mind taking gambles on that sort of player at all, but there's generally a time and a place. In the mid-second of a draft with a fairly deep talent pool in that area is not really what I consider to be the opportune time for such a gamble unless his upside is just sky high...and I'm not seeing that.

I'd love nothing more than to look like a horse's ass in 5 years for this read on him.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I liked Tychonick. It was teed up and so I have some disappointment he landed in OTT, but I certainly don’t have a full or deep perspective on Perunovich. I listened to a couple games and watched a part of a few others, but honestly wasn’t looking specifically for him. He had a very strong year, there is no question about that.

I’m not against overagers. It’s a recognition of how much projection there is in hockey once you get past the lottery. However, let’s not pretend it isn’t stepping out on a limb when you go that direction repeatedly, and when you do it in early rounds. That doesn’t make it wrong, but it is a very clear statement that everyone (including yourself) had it completely wrong one year ago.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I’m not against overagers. It’s a recognition of how much projection there is in hockey once you get past the lottery. However, let’s not pretend it isn’t stepping out on a limb when you go that direction repeatedly, and when you do it in early rounds. That doesn’t make it wrong, but it is a very clear statement that everyone (including yourself) had it completely wrong one year ago.

Just because a prospect hadn't yet taken the strides necessary to garner draft consideration, it doesn't mean the scouts were wrong in bypassing him...even if he does ultimately blossom into a pro-prospect. Guys who don't deserve to get drafted, typically don't. If and when they do become legitimate pro prospects, it's up to a front office to put their preconceptions and biases aside, and take who they think is the best option for their club. Some of those guy who do become prospects (and NHL'ers) oftentimes still don't get drafted. Does that mean the scouts got it wrong at the time of the draft? If the player never takes a step forward, then obviously not.

It's a scouts job to recognize talent as they see it, and project the future based on the most up-to-date information. If Perunovich becomes nothing, it doesn't make this a bad pick? It just means that given all of the information that the Blues had, they felt comfortable that a diminutive, soon-to-be 20-year old college defenseman was their best chance at finding an impact player when they chose at #45. It also doesn't mean every team that didn't draft him in '16 or '17 was wrong for not doing so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->