Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
From Scott Wheeler’s article:
D Scott Perunovich: NCAA (University of Minnesota-Duluth/St. Louis Blues)
Perunovich was a force this year — in loud, playmaking ways and in all of the more subtle ones. His 40 points finished tied for 10th among all NCAA players. Among all under-22 NCAA players, he moved up to sixth in scoring. He was one of a handful of college defencemen to lead his team in scoring. He was the best player on one of the best teams in college hockey and the second-best team in the NCHC. Everything UMD did ran through him and nobody was surprised when he was one of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker. He’s the best prospect in the Blues system and was arguably the best defenceman in college hockey.
Perunovich isn't necessarily our best prospect, he just has the best numbers. Mikkola possesses a different skill set that isn't as flashy, but just as valuable. I honestly think Niko has a better chance of becoming a full time NHL'er. Andronov is also up there in our prospect rankings, although as a forward it is difficult to make comparisons.

Last edited:

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Perunovich isn't necessarily our best prospect, he just has the best numbers. Mikkola possesses a different skill set that isn't as flashy, but just as valuable. I honestly think Niko has a better chance of becoming a full time NHL'er. Andronov is also up there in our prospect rankings, although as a forward it is difficult to make comparisons.
Best prospect is so subjective depending on what you prefer. He’s playing with more physically developed players than Andronov, and definitely has more offensive upside than Mikkola. Mikkola probably has the edge in skating though peranovich has some quality skating. If he can have a Krug like impact then that is one heck of a player. He seems like a late bloomer so hey let’s see what he has first before we make judgements

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Best prospect is so subjective depending on what you prefer. He’s playing with more physically developed players than Andronov, and definitely has more offensive upside than Mikkola. Mikkola probably has the edge in skating though peranovich has some quality skating. If he can have a Krug like impact then that is one heck of a player. He seems like a late bloomer so hey let’s see what he has first before we make judgements
Agreed. I wasn't judging Perunovich, just questioning Wheeler's appraisal of him as our best prospect. I agree that naming a "best" prospect is very subjective.

Reactions: AVictoryDive

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agreed. I wasn't judging Perunovich, just questioning Wheeler's appraisal of him as our best prospect. I agree that naming a "best" prospect is very subjective.
Mikkola is more a sure thing as NHLer but projects as 4-6 dman. Perunovich could be much more.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
You guys mean Alexandrov not Andronov, right? Andronov left for Russia 6 years ago. ;)

And yes, prospect rankings are all subjective and opinion based but I’d definitely rank Perunovich ahead of Mikkola and would agree with Wheeler that Perunovich is our best prospect. Hopefully we can get him signed soon as he can be a UFA in just a little more than 2 months.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
what if there's no '20-'21 season? Contract becomes void?
My guess is that it would slide, but maybe just the first year would be dropped just like all the other contracts around the league. Depending on how long this goes on, free agency could be really weird this off-season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My guess is that it would slide, but maybe just the first year would be dropped just like all the other contracts around the league. Depending on how long this goes on, free agency could be really weird this off-season.
Particularly if cap actually drops.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
what if there's no '20-'21 season? Contract becomes void?
He actually hasn’t signed the contract yet, because there’s a moratorium on contract signings. He can either sign a contract that would allow him to play this year if the NHL resumes, or it would be a contract that begins next year if the NHL doesn’t resume (all per JR and DA).

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Haven't seen it here yet, but there was a piece on Perunovich in the Post Dispatch. Thought this part was interesting:

“I don’t want to put too much hype or pressure or speculation, but the reason we want to keep this option is because potentially if we get up and play he could help us this year,” Armstrong said. “That’s how highly we think of him.” And if there’s no hockey until next season, Armstrong said Perunovich will be given “every opportunity” to make the 2020-21 squad.

Something tells me Perunovich will start next season in St.Louis and not in Springfield...

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Haven't seen it here yet, but there was a piece on Perunovich in the Post Dispatch. Thought this part was interesting:

“I don’t want to put too much hype or pressure or speculation, but the reason we want to keep this option is because potentially if we get up and play he could help us this year,” Armstrong said. “That’s how highly we think of him.” And if there’s no hockey until next season, Armstrong said Perunovich will be given “every opportunity” to make the 2020-21 squad.

Something tells me Perunovich will start next season in St.Louis and not in Springfield...
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a trial period before burning a year on the elc like the 9 game thing for CHL guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad