Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
From JR article there was great scouting report on him: “He’s the most dynamic and dominant defenseman in college hockey this year,” an NHL scout said on the condition of anonymity. “He’s NHL-ready in terms of puck play. He can create offense right now. His skill level, playmaking ability and anticipation offensively are special. He can run a power play. He’s unique how dangerous he is 5-on-5 in transition and off the rush. There will be issues defensively from his lack of size, but he engages and gets in the way enough.”

Reactions: shpongle falls

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
From JR article there was great scouting report on him: “He’s the most dynamic and dominant defenseman in college hockey this year,” an NHL scout said on the condition of anonymity. “He’s NHL-ready in terms of puck play. He can create offense right now. His skill level, playmaking ability and anticipation offensively are special. He can run a power play. He’s unique how dangerous he is 5-on-5 in transition and off the rush. There will be issues defensively from his lack of size, but he engages and gets in the way enough.”
Sounds like a more polished version of Dunn from the year he broke into the lineup. I'm hoping he can be 75% of the offensive force that Makar and Hughes have been this year but play better, more physical defense.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sounds like a more polished version of Dunn from the year he broke into the lineup. I'm hoping he can be 75% of the offensive force that Makar and Hughes have been this year but play better, more physical defense.
75% of those 2 is a pretty high bar lol. Pretty interested to see how he steps into pro hockey

Reactions: shpongle falls

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If we’re hoping, might as well hope for 150% of the offensive force that those two are. No harm in that. ;)

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Time to get this kid signed ASAP. The NCAA cancelled the rest of hockey season, so there is nothing stopping him from turning pro today.

Give the kid his entry level deal today with a nice little signing bonus that says "we want you in the organization enough that we will cut you a check right now even if you don't play an NHL or AHL game for us this season."

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He'll need to grow more into his body, gain lots of muscle and muscle weight. I think he'll also need time in The AHL to work on his defensive game. I can't see The Blues trading Dunn before Perunovich has at least played most of his rookie NHL season, proving that he can defend reasonably well on The NHL level. What's the rush to get rid of him, anyway? His defence has been improving slowly, but steadily.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't see why Dunn would be expendable at all if we sign Perunovich. Bouwmeester is likely done, Gunnarsson is reaching the end, and Scandella is a pending UFA. Our left side is looking mighty suspect, even more so if we trade Dunn.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I’d rather sign him and secure our asset but I really don’t see how he fits within our current system full time unless Dunn can transition to be effective in a 19-20 minute role that will require him to defend top matchups more often and also step in and play more PK minutes.

Currently, Dunn is a proven plus player in SP’s would-be role. Gunnarson is under contract. Mikkola is with the big club next season. I also expect them to extend Scandella after seeing the way he fit next to Parayko.

At his stage in his career, Perunivich needs to be playing but does his presence in the lineup disrupt the Blues system/success? We’re a team that leans heavily on our structure and ability to secure the middle of the ice. Not sure if the system can support two of these guys (Dunn). Also no question SP has higher offensive potential but I think Mikkola fits the identity better.

Again I still hope the Blues sign him and I’m not completely ruling him out - I just question the fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’d rather sign him and secure our asset but I really don’t see how he fits within our current system full time unless Dunn can transition to be effective in a 19-20 minute role that will require him to defend top matchups more often and also step in and play more PK minutes.

Currently, Dunn is a proven plus player in SP’s would-be role. Gunnarson is under contract. Mikkola is with the big club next season. I also expect them to extend Scandella after seeing the way he fit next to Parayko.

At his stage in his career, Perunivich needs to be playing but does his presence in the lineup disrupt the Blues system/success? We’re a team that leans heavily on our structure and ability to secure the middle of the ice. Not sure if the system can support two of these guys (Dunn). Also no question SP has higher offensive potential but I think Mikkola fits the identity better.

Again I still hope the Blues sign him and I’m not completely ruling him out - I just question the fit.
You nailed it! I have been thinking the same thing for a while now.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He could very well be waiting to sign because of the current status of contract rules. With the season on pause, players cannot sign contracts coming out of college that include the current season, they can only sign contracts that start next season. If you sign now, you can't play until next season. If you wait, and the season is continued, you can sign and play right away.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He could very well be waiting to sign because of the current status of contract rules. With the season on pause, players cannot sign contracts coming out of college that include the current season, they can only sign contracts that start next season. If you sign now, you can't play until next season. If you wait, and the season is continued, you can sign and play right away.

Eventually, people will realize that there’s not going to be an end to this season and this point will be moot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Eventually, people will realize that there’s not going to be an end to this season and this point will be moot.

My concern is that allowing him to sign and play a handful of pro games this year (plus a signing bonus) was our big advantage to getting him signed. It will be a bummer if the season shutdown not only prevents us from trying to defend the Cup but also costs us Perunovich.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I don't see us having any issue signing for several reasons.

#1 Looking at our LHD, Perunovich should be able to get an NHL position rather quickly.

#2 As of now next year, we have Gunnar, Mikkola, & Dunn under contract. Bouwmeester is probably done (just my guess), Scandella (I think there is a chance he could be back here depending on his price) But if Scandella doesn't come back, we have Gunnar Mikkola & Dunn as 3 LHD.

#3 With the expansion draft coming up, it will be interesting to see what happens. There is chance we could lose someone like Dunn (So much depends on the Pietrangelo situation) & Perunovich can be in line up soon.

#4 I don't see this as an issue such as Fox or Vesey. Fox was going to have a tough time ever getting into lineup in Carolina with the young core of dman they have. Vesey didn't want to be in Nashville.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't see us having any issue signing for several reasons.

#1 Looking at our LHD, Perunovich should be able to get an NHL position rather quickly.

#2 As of now next year, we have Gunnar, Mikkola, & Dunn under contract. Bouwmeester is probably done (just my guess), Scandella (I think there is a chance he could be back here depending on his price) But if Scandella doesn't come back, we have Gunnar Mikkola & Dunn as 3 LHD.

#3 With the expansion draft coming up, it will be interesting to see what happens. There is chance we could lose someone like Dunn (So much depends on the Pietrangelo situation) & Perunovich can be in line up soon.

#4 I don't see this as an issue such as Fox or Vesey. Fox was going to have a tough time ever getting into lineup in Carolina with the young core of dman they have. Vesey didn't want to be in Nashville.
You are looking at the situation purely from a perspective of availability. What you are not addressing is whether or not Perunovich will be ready for an NHL position that quickly. Just because there might be a LD spot available, does not mean it should be awarded to Perunovich because of his perceived potential. It is likely that Perunovich will need at least a season in the AHL to acclimatize himself to the professional game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klank Loves You

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
You are looking at the situation purely from a perspective of availability. What you are not addressing is whether or not Perunovich will be ready for an NHL position that quickly. Just because there might be a LD spot available, does not mean it should be awarded to Perunovich because of his perceived potential. It is likely that Perunovich will need at least a season in the AHL to acclimatize himself to the professional game.
But that’s true regardless where he goes. He’s going to have to be ready before he’s actually in the NHL, but he has a much easier path here than in many places considering our LHD situation. If he was right handed I think it would be much more difficult to sign him because he has basically no place to play unless Petro leaves or he passes one of our current RHD, which seems highly unlikely.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
This sentence really, really bothers me : "... and spends so much time on offense, that he doesn’t need to defend all that often."

Think of the Dr.Evil meme opportunities for a second though, it's a goldmine for GDT material everytime Scott makes a mistake. So we'd have that to look forward to.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
From Scott Wheeler’s article:
D Scott Perunovich: NCAA (University of Minnesota-Duluth/St. Louis Blues)
Perunovich was a force this year — in loud, playmaking ways and in all of the more subtle ones. His 40 points finished tied for 10th among all NCAA players. Among all under-22 NCAA players, he moved up to sixth in scoring. He was one of a handful of college defencemen to lead his team in scoring. He was the best player on one of the best teams in college hockey and the second-best team in the NCHC. Everything UMD did ran through him and nobody was surprised when he was one of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker. He’s the best prospect in the Blues system and was arguably the best defenceman in college hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->