Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Good calls MM, Scott may not be the ideal #2 pairing D man. But as a #3, at 1.45M per for 3+ more years, one of the best at that contract in the NHL.

Thanks winter. check is in the mail. Nice to see some guys that are drafted come through the ranks the old-fashioned way by earning it. Now if Bellows, Wahlstrom or this swede the isles drafted in the 1st round last year start contributing the isles may make some noise for a few more years

Reactions: buud

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is there any way he's on the team next year? Am I correct we can only protect thee d-men?
I think he is on it. 1.45M in a stagnated cap, it would take a colossal offer to move him. If he is slotted on the 3rd pairing, I can't think of a better value 3rd pairing D man than Scott. With the cap not moving, and how important right D is in the NHL, this one is a steal for the Isles.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think he is on it. 1.45M in a stagnated cap, it would take a colossal offer to move him. If he is slotted on the 3rd pairing, I can't think of a better value 3rd pairing D man than Scott. With the cap not moving, and how important right D is in the NHL, this one is a steal for the Isles.
Can't seattle just take him?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Somewhere in this picture is a teeny tiny airplane pulling a banner that says Lets Go Islanders

Reactions: Lek

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can't seattle just take him?
This is a good question. You get to protect 3 D. For the Isles it would be Pulock, Pelech, and ? Dobson is exempt with one year pro service. I would protect him if I were Lou. His contract is too good and it is cost controlled guaranteed under a non rising cap. Or you can make a trade to keep him as we saw in the VGK expansion draft. I would like to keep Toews also, but he is going to be in for a raise. Good questions.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is a good question. You get to protect 3 D. For the Isles it would be Pulock, Pelech, and ? Dobson is exempt with one year pro service. I would protect him if I were Lou. His contract is too good and it is cost controlled guaranteed under a non rising cap. Or you can make a trade to keep him as we saw in the VGK expansion draft. I would like to keep Toews also, but he is going to be in for a raise. Good questions.

I absolutely protect Toews, he is a quality player that has no viable in house replacement. I like Mayfield a lot, but having Dobson and Wilde in the system makes him movable.

If put on the market this offseason or next, there should be a line out of the door for him. You just don't get a top-4 RHD in his prime with a crazy contract available often.

This is where the Isles investing in RHD's pays off in spades.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I absolutely protect Toews, he is a quality player that has no viable in house replacement. I like Mayfield a lot, but having Dobson and Wilde in the system makes him movable.

If put on the market this offseason or next, there should be a line out of the door for him. You just don't get a top-4 RHD in his prime with a crazy contract available often.

I'd really hate to give Mayfield up. Do you remember what we gave Vegas?

Granted he does dumb things at the wrong times, but his style of play fits right in with the Islanders system. This team is only effective when several players on offensive AND defensive hit hard.

Not to mention I developed a soft spot for him in that video where he built his dog a special eating chair because he can't swallow except when in an upright position.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yeah I wish we could keep both. It's going to cost the Isles a player or pick if one is not protected. I would prefer allocating money from Leddy or Boychuck to sign Toews. He is going to be a UFA if the Isles don't lock him up soon. In a way the Isles not having one player over 7M per is a bonus, allows Lou to fill other positions. But even then, it is getting daunting. I think the Isles Barzal may want to sign him to a Brayden Point type of bridge. Pulock to me is the key long term deal here, he already signed his bridge. Getting a little off topic here, this is why I like Mayfield. His cap hit in a stagnant cap is super enticing to filling out the rest of the roster. Keep them both. Isles are built from the Goalie out with Sorokin now in the fold. Price you pay for being a good franchise, too many good players to pay$.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Well since you can only take players with more than two years experience Mayfield is the only guy I'm really worried about. I'm definitely exposing Bailey because its fine if they take him or not. Before the playoffs I would have said expose Lee since its unlikely anyone would take him with that contract, but he seems to have found his game again.

We paid Vegas a lot to not touch the whole team, I'd offer them a second for not taking Mayfield.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Technically, you can protect either 7F , 3D, 1G or 8 skaters and a goalie (or 9 total, not sure). Curious if they would go the 8 skaters route, and protect Pulock, Pelech, Toews and Mayfield, and Barzal, Beauvillier, Nelson and Pageau? That leaves Lee, Eberle, and Bailey exposed - do they risk the optics and possibility of losing their captain? Not sure.

I looked back at the Vegas expansion, 7 teams (including the Isles) protected 8 skaters and a G, and the majority went the 7/3/1 route - you get to keep more players with 7/3/1, but may lose a 4th D in that scenario.

Last edited:

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Technically, you can protect either 7F , 3D, 1G or 8 skaters and a goalie (or 9 total, not sure). Curious if they would go the 8 skaters route, and protect Pulock, Pelech, Toews and Mayfield, and Barzal, Beauvillier, Nelson and Pageau? That leaves Lee, Eberle, and Bailey exposed - do they risk the optics and possibility of losing their captain? Not sure.

I looked back at the Vegas expansion, 7 teams (including the Isles) protected 8 skaters and a G, and the majority went the 7/3/1 route - you get to keep more players with 7/3/1, but may lose a 4th D in that scenario.

Excellent post. Before the playoffs I would have exposed Lee , Eberle, and Bailey. Lee's name has been called too many times in these playoffs and he might be taken, although I'd still bet against it with that contract. I don't recall any other teams making any offers and his game, until two weeks, ago has regressed. If Isles still had Tavares they wouldn't have signed that contract.

Man, I'm not sure what I'd do. I think I'd offer them a second to not take Mayfield and then worry about it.

Edit: Just read we don't have a second. I'm exposing Lee unless he really lights it up from here on in. I don't think anyone wants to give him seven.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

This was brought up before in another thread, and you never know what happens between now and then, but IMHO the 8 skaters plus goalie would seem to be our best option with the exact 8 you named. If we go 7/3/1 and leave one of Toews/Mayfield unprotected, I would have to think that player will stand out and be selected. Leaving Lee/Bailey/Eberle/Clutter/Leddy/Boychuck and even maybe Varly unprotected while protecting 4 D, could mean that Seattle takes a player that will help our cap situation. And as much as I like those players who have all been at our core, they could all be replaceable going forward, thinking long term.

Of course there are lot of other factors, would we actually expose our captain possibly sending the wrong message to our core, will someone like Bellows or MDC step up and force our hand (Wahlstrom and Dobson will be exempt based on 2 or less years of NHL/AHL experience at the end of next season), what trades will have been made between now ant then adding or subtracting key players, injuries?

Reactions: Beacon Isles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'd really hate to give Mayfield up. Do you remember what we gave Vegas?

Granted he does dumb things at the wrong times, but his style of play fits right in with the Islanders system. This team is only effective when several players on offensive AND defensive hit hard.

Not to mention I developed a soft spot for him in that video where he built his dog a special eating chair because he can't swallow except when in an upright position.

I hear you. I love Mayfield's attitude/toughness. He's a great bottom pairing defensive defenseman and overall great guy.

However his passing is really poor. Too often his zone passing creates a danger play or leads to a turnover. If he were to be traded I wouldn't miss that part of his game at all. I wind up yelling at the screen way to much when he's handling the puck.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Well since you can only take players with more than two years experience Mayfield is the only guy I'm really worried about. I'm definitely exposing Bailey because its fine if they take him or not. Before the playoffs I would have said expose Lee since its unlikely anyone would take him with that contract, but he seems to have found his game again.

We paid Vegas a lot to not touch the whole team, I'd offer them a second for not taking Mayfield.
I don't think Lee gets protected for several reasons....
1. Lou has shown he makes tough decisions not based on emotions IE Lehner.
2. Lee's contract is a bit of an albatross for a player of his caliber. 6 more years at $7M is a lot for a for a 30 year old that doesn't really skate well and plays a physical game. I get that he's the captain and he really has been great in the playoffs but this contract is not going to age well.
3. For the reason stated above I don't think Seattle would even consider taking him. So in a sense, it's a free slot for the Isles!

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Bailey is the 10th leading scorer among forwards in the 2020 playoffs. He quietly gets the job done and we will all immediately miss him the day he is gone.

Reactions: buud

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I hear you. I love Mayfield's attitude/toughness. He's a great bottom pairing defensive defenseman and overall great guy.

However his passing is really poor. Too often his zone passing creates a danger play or leads to a turnover. If he were to be traded I wouldn't miss that part of his game at all. I wind up yelling at the screen way to much when he's handling the puck.
You may have noticed that I have criticized our ability to exit our defensive for many years now, I too find myself screaming all to often at zone departures. However this problem is systemic amongst our team. I like Mayfield and I think BT does as well otherwise he wouldn’t be killing penalties. His toughness and long reach can’t be replaced his contract has been discussed at length . I find his ability to get pucks to the net better then average ,any team looking for a bottom pairing d-man would love him.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Bailey is the 10th leading scorer among forwards in the 2020 playoffs. He quietly gets the job done and we will all immediately miss him the day he is gone.
this, exactly.
He is a whipping boy, yet does many things quite well. Every team will lose a solid player or 2 if they have depth- we have some depth, and hopefully the correct long term decisions will be made.

Reactions: beach

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i used to bash Bailey. not any more. sorry Bones.

without a doubt, he is our give away king. his cutesy flip passes in tight, constantly get picked off. in light of that, he has grown in many ways. enough that i would consider protecting him (probably not though, given his age and salary).

i hope we find a tough, top RW, and keep Bailey as 2nd RW. perfect for him.

anyway... Mayfield. no doubt has great value. he has really done well, minimizing his gafs. i guess, matured? for me, he is worth protecting.

unless... we trade him.

we are strong on the right side, and if we get a equal value back, a midline F, it might work out good.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
i used to bash Bailey. not any more. sorry Bones.

without a doubt, he is our give away king. his cutesy flip passes in tight, constantly get picked off. in light of that, he has grown in many ways. enough that i would consider protecting him (probably not though, given his age and salary).

i hope we find a tough, top RW, and keep Bailey as 2nd RW. perfect for him.

anyway... Mayfield. no doubt has great value. he has really done well, minimizing his gafs. i guess, matured? for me, he is worth protecting.

unless... we trade him.

we are strong on the right side, and if we get a equal value back, a midline F, it might work out good.
I like Mayfield in the sense that he's really worked hard and developed into a very serviceable player - kudos to him. And there's no doubt that he's on a great contract. But I still don't love his game. He doesn't play a very physical game for a guy his size - seemingly losing board or positional battles when you don't think he should. He's a very serviceable stay at home Dman who, when getting a head of steam, can occasionally lead a rush, and I'm happy to have him for this playoff run. But if we were looking to recoup some of our lost picks and create a spot in the lineup for Dobson - which we need to do - I wouldn't be adverse to trading Mayfield for futures. We'd avoid the situation of losing a valuable player in the expansion draft, get a valuable pick/picks and get Dobson in the lineup. Considering his experience, his contract and size, he could possibly bring back a first or 2nd+.

The downside is that we lose a very reasonable asset on a team that is cap crunched. But if we replace the roster spot with Andy Greene for a year at the same relative price, we aren't losing anything.

Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Dobson
Leddy - Boychuk/Greene

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I like Mayfield in the sense that he's really worked hard and developed into a very serviceable player - kudos to him. And there's no doubt that he's on a great contract. But I still don't love his game. He doesn't play a very physical game for a guy his size - seemingly losing board or positional battles when you don't think he should. He's a very serviceable stay at home Dman who, when getting a head of steam, can occasionally lead a rush, and I'm happy to have him for this playoff run. But if we were looking to recoup some of our lost picks and create a spot in the lineup for Dobson - which we need to do - I wouldn't be adverse to trading Mayfield for futures. We'd avoid the situation of losing a valuable player in the expansion draft, get a valuable pick/picks and get Dobson in the lineup. Considering his experience, his contract and size, he could possibly bring back a first or 2nd+.

The downside is that we lose a very reasonable asset on a team that is cap crunched. But if we replace the roster spot with Andy Greene for a year at the same relative price, we aren't losing anything.

Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Dobson
Leddy - Boychuk/Greene

I just find it really hard to get rid of a guy who is on a good contract, he's signed for a good cap hit for another three seasons. I'd really rather move Leddy or Boychuk before Mayfield. I'm not sure the team can fit Toews, Barzal, and Pulock without moving one of the larger contracts.

Reactions: MJF

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I love Mayfield but i think strategically we have to protect Pelech, Pulock and Toews. Then trade Mayfield which will force Seattle to pick one of our older forwards with a larger cap-hit (most likely Bailey). Mayfield is a top 4 R handed D making less than 2 million, we will be able to get a surprising haul for him in the current cap climate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad