Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If mayfield keeps playing as a steady number 4 and maybe even gets better that 1.4 per for 5 years is gonna make swapping boychuks and ladds contracts a lot easier

It’d be great if pelech could break out like that too but I really don’t see that happening but he’s 2 years younger and mayfield was on waivers a couple years ago so who knows
Ironically, I expected Pelech would be the one whose development would take the bigger step forward this season.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I’m not questioning your comments or anyones per se. I’m just saying that I personally have not seen enough to warrant making judgements about the current coaching on specific players. It’s too short of a time frame to suggest a cause and effect.

I’ll make judgements on past coaching... because it’s already done and in the past. There is nothing more to glean from it.

Some players produced very well with Weight. Some produced well with Capuano. I don’t have any problem whatsoever stating that. I never felt the need to unreasonably bury someone in criticism. But I do feel it’s reasonable to say the current and past coaching are justifiably where they belong.

I agree as well. I will also say that they are giving up a half a goal less per game this season. That has something to do with coaching and with scoring production being down as is the fact they are missing the best player on last years team.

Reactions: dood

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I agree as well. I will also say that they are giving up a half a goal less per game this season. That has something to do with coaching and with scoring production being down as is the fact they are missing the best player on last years team.
Even with the lower scoring and losing a top producer, the Islanders are on pace to improved their goal differential by 26 goals, so that's a marked improvement.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Give it up for our 6th leading scorer so far. I didn't want him falling off the first page . Only 3 points from 5th on the team .

LGI

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Real strong game tonight.

Again, most improved Islander. Never thought he could guise his IQ.

I've always been a fan. Wanted him in the 2nd round when I saw he was available and we got him. Big kid who is finally coming into his own? Definitely a pleasant surprise. If he keeps it up, his contract could be an absolute steal.

The fact remains that big RD's that can play carry major value around the league. He can be easily movable if we have to, but I think he's a keeper.

Reactions: MattMartin

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I've always been a fan. Wanted him in the 2nd round when I saw he was available and we got him. Big kid who is finally coming into his own? Definitely a pleasant surprise. If he keeps it up, his contract could be an absolute steal.

The fact remains that big RD's that can play carry major value around the league. He can be easily movable if we have to, but I think he's a keeper.

Me too, keeper. I like him over Pelech actually.

His mobility, size, and snarl (when he keeps it contained) is great on the 3rd pairing.

Sadly, he’s our only D who can walk the line.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Me too, keeper. I like him over Pelech actually.

His mobility, size, and snarl (when he keeps it contained) is great on the 3rd pairing.

Sadly, he’s our only D who can walk the line.

I like Pelech still more I think Pelech had to take some steps backwards to correct for defects in the Weight era, but is much better behind the net now... but Pelech/Mayfield is the pairing you are more confident with on the ice because the other pairings have #2 and #4 in them

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I like Pelech still more I think Pelech had to take some steps backwards to correct for defects in the Weight era, but is much better behind the net now... but Pelech/Mayfield is the pairing you are more confident with on the ice because the other pairings have #2 and #4 in them

If Mayfield-Pelech were our 3rd pairing only, that means we upgraded our top 4; I’m a happy camper.

Reactions: MattMartin

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
If Mayfield-Pelech were our 3rd pairing only, that means we upgraded our top 4; I’m a happy camper.

They are the best pair right now because of how bad Leddy is playing and how limited Hickey is.... They are big guy who aren't that slow and our 2 best offensive dmen this year, can they keep it up, they usually have one bad shift per game where they see extended defensive time activity.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
They are the best pair right now because of how bad Leddy is playing and how limited Hickey is.... They are big guy who aren't that slow and our 2 best offensive dmen this year, can they keep it up, they usually have one bad shift per game where they see extended defensive time activity.

Pulock and Bchuk have been our most consistent defensive D men. Impressed w Pulock, he’s making smart decisions and shielding guys off really well. He’s worked on his speed.

Leddy is a black hole of 6 mil. I’d rather use that money elsewhere. Looks like he doesn’t care and is having confidence issues.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Pulock and Bchuk have been our most consistent defensive D men. Impressed w Pulock, he’s making smart decisions and shielding guys off really well. He’s worked on his speed.

Leddy is a black hole of 6 mil. I’d rather use that money elsewhere. Looks like he doesn’t care and is having confidence issues.

Pulock is now one point behind Mayfield, so he is catching up after 2 assists tonight... Boychuk and Pulock have been the best 2 in that order, but they carry weak LD's.

Leddy... something went horribly wrong around the 1/3rd mark last year and he has not recovered from it, not sure if it was a bad turnover, for his first few years here, he barely ever made a mistake, and now he makes 4-5 per game that are glaring, and is on place for 25 points this year

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Pulock is now one point behind Mayfield, so he is catching up after 2 assists tonight... Boychuk and Pulock have been the best 2 in that order, but they carry weak LD's.

Leddy... something went horribly wrong around the 1/3rd mark last year and he has not recovered from it, not sure if it was a bad turnover, for his first few years here, he barely ever made a mistake, and now he makes 4-5 per game that are glaring, and is on place for 25 points this year

It’s nice to have a non lottery pick and choose Pulock in the mid 1st.

Leddy was always mistake prone, ask Bhawk fans. He’s not a first pairing D man. Before he had an A Bchuk covering his ass, and Hammer-CDH softening his mins.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It’s nice to have a non lottery pick and choose Pulock in the mid 1st.

Leddy was always mistake prone, ask Bhawk fans. He’s not a first pairing D man. Before he had an A Bchuk covering his ass, and Hammer-CDH softening his mins.

But he was very reliable early on with the team, he carried the puck end to end well, he didn't chip clear pucks out of the zone, something changed and it wasn't with Trotz, it may have been around the game when the Leafs blew us out last year... he can still turn it around I think

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
But he was very reliable early on with the team, he carried the puck end to end well, he didn't chip clear pucks out of the zone, something changed and it wasn't with Trotz, it may have been around the game when the Leafs blew us out last year... he can still turn it around I think

I think he was overplayed, plain and simple. Wore him down.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Like mentioned above. Always thought Pelech would’ve made the major improvement.

Potential was always there for Mayfield. Glad he’s showing signs of becoming a mainstay.

Wouldn’t give up on Pelech just yet. Entire year younger than Mayfield

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

That's when Leddy was paired up with Dennis Seidenberg.

I hope Leddy watches the film of Boychuk defending the odd man rush last night. JB was textbook perfect on that and it's an aspect that Leddy absolutely blows on.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
One of the best under the radar contracts in the NHL.
Such a good contract the dude couldn't afford a house AND a ring. At least that's what he told his girlfriend.

His contract is such a steal I've often felt bad for the guy as he's far outplayed that deal and he's locked in for a 3-4 more years. And then I realized that he's guaranteed over $1.5m over that period and I don't feel so bad for him anymore.

Intense over the summer training is the norm in the game today. I still like reading when our guys are taking it seriously. Busting your ass is just par for the course now but its nice to see that your players are seemingly intense about it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am noticing a guy that is getting confident he can play in the league. Anyone agree or disagree?

It's nice to have a guy 6'4-6'5 lay some lumber back there. He seems to have his head up and is not afraid to pinch and actually shoot. Are my eyes deceiving me or do we have something here? On another note Pelech looks like a pro as well.

damm, if we could just find a dman that can move Leddy and Boychuk down a peg to the 2nd paring then we may be onto something. Hope Garth is cashing those paychecks in.
Good calls MM, Scott may not be the ideal #2 pairing D man. But as a #3, at 1.45M per for 3+ more years, one of the best at that contract in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad