Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I love Mayfield but i think strategically we have to protect Pelech, Pulock and Toews. Then trade Mayfield which will force Seattle to pick one of our older forwards with a larger cap-hit (most likely Bailey). Mayfield is a top 4 R handed D making less than 2 million, we will be able to get a surprising haul for him in the current cap climate.

Alternatively, you just protect 8 skaters and force them to take a large contract that way.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You could do that but then you be exposing cizikas (assuming he’s resigned)

Don't sign Cizikas until after the expansion draft and he doesn't need to be protected. It's a risk from both sides but we've seen these types of things done before.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Alternatively, you just protect 8 skaters and force them to take a large contract that way.

Just what I've been saying all along. You simply don't give up a player like Mayfield for free or pay for the other team not to take him. Whatever will be left of our roster to choose from are either long term, expensive (and rather bad) contracts or players we will not miss

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Don't sign Cizikas until after the expansion draft and he doesn't need to be protected. It's a risk from both sides but we've seen these types of things done before.

I love Cizikas but if somehow a young centerman in the Isles pipeline (e.g. Koivula) has a breakout next year in 2021 then losing or trading Cizikas might not be so bad.
He's a critical cog for them now but I'm not sure that type of game will age well in a few years with a new contract.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I love Cizikas but if somehow a young centerman in the Isles pipeline (e.g. Koivula) has a breakout next year in 2021 then losing or trading Cizikas might not be so bad.
He's a critical cog for them now but I'm not sure that type of game will age well in a few years with a new contract.

Completely agree. Paying for past production and rewarding good service is not smart. I love Cizikas, but he'll be 30 next season and his best days are behind him.

In a salary capped NHL, tough decisions need to be made.

As for Mayfield, I would trade him next offseason right before the ED. We should get good value for him and we have Dobson to take his place.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Completely agree. Paying for past production and rewarding good service is not smart. I love Cizikas, but he'll be 30 next season and his best days are behind him.

In a salary capped NHL, tough decisions need to be made.

As for Mayfield, I would trade him next offseason right before the ED. We should get good value for him and we have Dobson to take his place.
We need be careful with CC because he might be deteriorating once he's past 30. The last thing we need is offering him a lengthy deal at lots of money, so better leave that to some other team

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
We need be careful with CC because he might be deteriorating once he's past 30. The last thing we need is offering him a lengthy deal at lots of money, so better leave that to some other team

We will be a better team with him next season, but preparations need to be made to let him walk and replace him in 2021-22. His cap space can go to Pelech or Beauvillier or Sorokin, the priority re-signings.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
We will be a better team with him next season, but preparations need to be made to let him walk and replace him in 2021-22. His cap space can go to Pelech or Beauvillier or Sorokin, the priority re-signings.

But what will we do when our current albatross contracts come off the books in the next few years?
The only foreseeable dead weight remaining will be years 6 and 7 of Lee.

Gotta plan ahead Lou! (I know you love Parise). :sarcasm:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The issue there is Zeeker can walk faster than Otto can skate.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Love Cizikas, but not prudent to give any more 5-6 year deals, if he's willing to sign a 2 or 3 year deal but no more, we should entertain it, but nothing longer than that. Otto is such an unknown, i'm not counting on him to do anything with the Islanders. We should definitely start looking to add some bottom 6 center prospects to the pool.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Mayfield is good for us and makes peanuts for the next few years. Replacing him is going to add more money against our cap (and we have Pulock/Toews this off-season and Pelech the next). Mayfield's hit really helps us have a deep D and give us more opportunities with cash for other contracts. Give Seattle a pick to keep him is what I'd do and let them pick an older forward or even Leddy (if he's still on the team then).

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
He’s no good. Someone on the main boards who watched maybe 1/3 of the Isles games this year told me so

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I hear you. I love Mayfield's attitude/toughness. He's a great bottom pairing defensive defenseman and overall great guy.

However his passing is really poor. Too often his zone passing creates a danger play or leads to a turnover. If he were to be traded I wouldn't miss that part of his game at all. I wind up yelling at the screen way to much when he's handling the puck.

The problem I have with this is we are quibbling about a solid bottom 6 defenseman who fits in nicely. He won’t be a top 4 but he does what he does well. The Islanders won’t win or lose these playoffs because of him.
There will be bigger problems to worry about than Mayfield this offseason.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The problem I have with this is we are quibbling about a solid bottom 6 defenseman who fits in nicely. He won’t be a top 4 but he does what he does well. The Islanders won’t win or lose these playoffs because of him.
There will be bigger problems to worry about than Mayfield this offseason.

Why does having bigger problems alleviate the motivation to solve any/all problems? How can you fully quantify how horrible he is with the puck in terms of the overall flow and ultimately outcome in any game? You can't and an early giveaway or two just might have cost us a game(s). The bottom line is that we know he's an issue and all issues must be solved eventually.

If Mayfield can be traded as part of a deal to add more scoring (a bigger problem) well there's a solution right there.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Why does having bigger problems alleviate the motivation to solve any/all problems? How can you fully quantify how horrible he is with the puck in terms of the overall flow and ultimately outcome in any game? You can't and an early giveaway or two just might have cost us a game(s). The bottom line is that we know he's an issue and all issues must be solved eventually.

If Mayfield can be traded as part of a deal to add more scoring (a bigger problem) well there's a solution right there.
Bro, your nonstop pontification on the horror that is Scott Mayfield, defenseman, is starting to border on the absurd.

I agree he is not perfect and is prone to the occasional mistake, but as I've already stated - Barry Trotz, Jack Adams-winning, guaranteed HOF'er, and unquestionable savior of this team (in tandem with Senile Lou) - has this team within 3 wins of the Stanley Cup final. And guess what? That hockey genius GAVE MORE MINUTES TO MAYFIELD THAN ANY OTHER D-MAN IN A MUST WIN, SEASON-SAVING GAME.

Like seriously.. unless you can prove you are actually a masked former Jack Adams winning coach who now posts on here for shits and giggles to pass his time, just accept the fact that there is more to being a trusted, effective defenseman at the NHL level than your limited "eye test" observations can appreciate.

I am NOT saying Mayfield is another Victor Hedman, or even Hedman-Lite. But it is OBVIOUS he is better and most likely MUCH better, and more effective than you are capable of understanding.

Three wins from the cup final? The guy plays the most or close to the most minutes? And you think he is dog shit??? Give it a f***ing rest. You are literally making yourself look foolish.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The solution can just as easily be to keep him on a good contract that doesn't have negative cap implications and have him fill in on the bottom pair and deal with him. You're obsessed with moving out "problems" for better alternatives that don't always exist. Every good team has players like Mayfield, they find out how to utilize them properly to maximize their talents.

If every problem player you've brought up was removed from this team we'd have about six players left. This current team is one of the final four teams standing and when you look at the other teams remaining, do they have perfect rosters? No. Zach Bogosian or Luke Schenn aren't some game breaking talents. Sekera is playing 18 minutes for Dallas and is no better than Mayfield, and who the f*** is Hanley? Holden, McNabb? Every team has these guys. The key is getting the Hedman's, the Heiskanen's, the Theodore's, so you don't have to play the crappier players as much. You don't obtain those players by trading Mayfield for them.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Bro, your nonstop pontification on the horror that is Scott Mayfield, defenseman, is starting to border on the absurd.

I agree he is not perfect and is prone to the occasional mistake, but as I've already stated - Barry Trotz, Jack Adams-winning, guaranteed HOF'er, and unquestionable savior of this team (in tandem with Senile Lou) - has this team within 3 wins of the Stanley Cup final. And guess what? That hockey genius GAVE MORE MINUTES TO MAYFIELD THAN ANY OTHER D-MAN IN A MUST WIN, SEASON-SAVING GAME.

Like seriously.. unless you can prove you are actually a masked former Jack Adams winning coach who now posts on here for shits and giggles to pass his time, just accept the fact that there is more to being a trusted, effective defenseman at the NHL level than your limited "eye test" observations can appreciate.

I am NOT saying Mayfield is another Victor Hedman, or even Hedman-Lite. But it is OBVIOUS he is better and most likely MUCH better, and more effective than you are capable of understanding.

Three wins from the cup final? The guy plays the most or close to the most minutes? And you think he is dog shit??? Give it a f***ing rest. You are literally making yourself look foolish.

This tone...Far from your best.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Mayfields big issue is clearing the zone. He is awful at doing that without sending it over the glass or down for an icing. I'd even take the icing when we are really under siege. It is tough to watch him send it right to the opposition three consecutive times while our guys are hemmed up and fatigued.

He is not particularly great at gauging what to do with the puck when he is working the point. He far too often over handles it or has a shot blocked.

However, over the course of the playoffs, he has made some very heady plays at big times. He...
  • Closed a game out vs the Caps by making a veteran plan and freezing the puck for 15 seconds
  • Sent JGP on a breakaway with a beautiful outlet pass vs Philly
  • Scored a huge goal at the beginning of game 7 vs Philly
  • Last game, the gloved puck to keep the zone leading to a goal

I had doubts about whether he was even good enough to be a regular. If you look at his game when he first started, he was very shaky, a poor skater and displayed no indication of having offensive upside at all. He has improved his game a great deal since becoming a regular in the lineup. It is maddening to see him make mistakes but it seems Trotz really believes in him. Can he transform him a la Nelson? Time will tell. It appears he's being handled as a top4 D. I'm not fully sold but need to surrender and trust that Trotz knows better than we do.

Reactions: TMI and buud

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

...and another bottom 6 player by definition will have the same issues and may not be physical enough, may be injury prone and/or fit in the locker room.
We are talking about one of the best if not the best defense in the NHL and see Mayfield fitting in perfectly.

Sure, all possibilities to add more scoring can be explored but maintaining the best defense in the NHL is a priority and I am not seeing what you are seeing.

In fact I am seeing the entire defense struggling with Tampa’s pressure
pressure at times including our top 4 because it is Tampa (no defense will perform better in Games 2 and 3) and exhaustion from what is now clearly a grueling schedule for the type of play this Islander team is exhibiting but you know what, they are still in it. I see Team defense at times playing perfect hockey against the best teams in the NHL. Mayfield is still relatively young and cheap. I will stand by my point and say this is quibbling.

The tougher assignment is finding rugged defensemen to replace aging players like Boychuk, Greene. I do not see that type of physical play in Upcoming players like Dobson, Wilde who bring more skill than physical play.

I would keep Mayfield right where he is as Lou will be facing decisions on Greene, Boychuk and highly paid guys like Leddy.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad