Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Mayfield logs more minutes than anyone on the Isles despite not playing the power play. Trotz clearly loves him.

I actually think he plays too much and don't know if that is a by-product of Boychuk not being in the line-up. You are correct through. He is on the #1 PK pairing and out there during critical times.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I actually think he plays too much and don't know if that is a by-product of Boychuk not being in the line-up. You are correct through. He is on the #1 PK pairing and out there during critical times.
It's not. Throughout the regular season this year Scott Mayfield was averaging nearly 20 minutes TOI a game. Mayfield is Trotz's horse on the blueline.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's not. Throughout the regular season this year Scott Mayfield was averaging nearly 20 minutes TOI a game. Mayfield is Trotz's horse on the blueline.
I think he is more valuable than Toews with the way Trotz uses his D. For me I have changed my initial outlook, I think Toews may be left unprotected more than Mayfield if it came to the 2 players. Dobson may be the player that replaces Toews offence. I have not been overly impressed with Toews these playoffs, Mayfield has been better IMO. And he is signed to a very low cap hit.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think he is more valuable than Toews with the way Trotz uses his D. For me I have changed my initial outlook, I think Toews may be left unprotected more than Mayfield if it came to the 2 players. Dobson may be the player that replaces Toews offence. I have not been overly impressed with Toews these playoffs, Mayfield has been better IMO. And he is signed to a very low cap hit.

I feel like if someone may not be here it could be Toews, he didn't finish the year strong. Not that the Isles don't want him here,but he may get squeezed out due to finances.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Scott is really a rock back there for the Isles. Has stepped in seamlessly beside Leddy as a pairing. A real unsung hero. The Toews trade may have allowed the Isles to protect him in the upcoming expansion draft. With the emergence of Dobson, the picks, and now the Isles can protect Scott. This is looking like a big win for the Isles. He is one of Trotz's most trusted Defensive D men on the team. Time to give Mayfield some love. I appreciate him as a hockey player, team player also, sacrifices body for the team in blocked shots. Great contract also.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Scott is really a rock back there for the Isles. Has stepped in seamlessly beside Leddy as a pairing. A real unsung hero. The Toews trade may have allowed the Isles to protect him in the upcoming expansion draft. With the emergence of Dobson, the picks, and now the Isles can protect Scott. This is looking like a big win for the Isles. He is one of Trotz's most trusted Defensive D men on the team. Time to give Mayfield some love. I appreciate him as a hockey player, team player also, sacrifices body for the team in blocked shots. Great contract also.

My gripe with Mayfield is he makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck. Too often he makes bad clearing plays which often result in the other team keeping possession in the zone. Mayfield lacks the talent of Pulock and Dobson to make a strong first pass. The good outweighs the bad though and he is a net positive. As Dobson's role emerges then Mayfield can be utilized less and in a role more suitable for his skillset. The RD group is a real strength right now with an uber talent (yet unrefined) like Wilde in the wings.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My gripe with Mayfield is he makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck. Too often he makes bad clearing plays which often result in the other team keeping possession in the zone. Mayfield lacks the talent of Pulock and Dobson to make a strong first pass. The good outweighs the bad though and he is a net positive. As Dobson's role emerges then Mayfield can be utilized less and in a role more suitable for his skillset. The RD group is a real strength right now with an uber talent (yet unrefined) like Wilde in the wings.

I think his rushing to just sling the puck up the wall is definitely the worst part of his game. Otherwise he's pretty decent and gets an unnecessary amount of hate. He plays hard, clears the front of the net, isn't afraid to mix it up, has okay speed and handling, a good reach, and floats wristers on net. I like all of that and I agree that Dobson will eventually take over some of his minutes.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think his rushing to just sling the puck up the wall is definitely the worst part of his game. Otherwise he's pretty decent and gets an unnecessary amount of hate. He plays hard, clears the front of the net, isn't afraid to mix it up, has okay speed and handling, a good reach, and floats wristers on net. I like all of that and I agree that Dobson will eventually take over some of his minutes.
At least he will shoot the puck! His grit/size is needed now. When Wilde or another recently drafted big D is NHL ready in 2 year, the his spot as a 5/6 D will eventually be replaced.

The key for Isles to succeed in the next couple of year is draft or trade for a big forward who can skate really well & able to handle the puck. Another move is to draft a sharp shooting prospect or trade for one. Not enough shooter who can wrist the puck in the line-up.

Reactions: danteipp

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
He's a solid player but surely one of the coaching staff has to issue an ultimatum on the unnecessary icings.
He keeps loading the gun for the opposition.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
At least he will shoot the puck! His grit/size is needed now. When Wilde or another recently drafted big D is NHL ready in 2 year, the his spot as a 5/6 D will eventually be replaced.

The key for Isles to succeed in the next couple of year is draft or trade for a big forward who can skate really well & able to handle the puck. Another move is to draft a sharp shooting prospect or trade for one. Not enough shooter who can wrist the puck in the line-up.

Definitely an issue with respect to natural and inclined shooters, the Isles need at least another forward who can generate high-danger shots and keep defenses honest.

I missed tonight's game but it sounds like Wahlstrom (albeit a fluky goal but the shot seemed to catch the Caps flat footed and sometimes that causes controlled chaos and opportunity) and Bellows held their own.

Dobson will be a weapon from the blue line and on the PP and, Like you said, the sooner they can get Wilde (and maybe Bolduc) coached up, the better.

Wilde should have more offensive upside and could upgrade the third pairing, while it would surprise me to see Bolduc mature relatively quickly and form a solid partnership with Dobson, allowing Noah to freelance more.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
upload_2021-4-15_11-50-54.jpeg

I swear this is Scott Mayfield

Reactions: Konk and Kevin27NYI

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Definitely an issue with respect to natural and inclined shooters, the Isles need at least another forward who can generate high-danger shots and keep defenses honest.

I missed tonight's game but it sounds like Wahlstrom (albeit a fluky goal but the shot seemed to catch the Caps flat footed and sometimes that causes controlled chaos and opportunity) and Bellows held their own.

Dobson will be a weapon from the blue line and on the PP and, Like you said, the sooner they can get Wilde (and maybe Bolduc) coached up, the better.

Wilde should have more offensive upside and could upgrade the third pairing, while it would surprise me to see Bolduc mature relatively quickly and form a solid partnership with Dobson, allowing Noah to freelance more.

Wilde is a better skater than Mayfield and he may have ability to score in NHL (which probably need time to prove as we all thought Pulock can do that but so far we are not seeing that).

Dobson can score but his ability is more about setting up others and get puck to the danger area in the other zone. If you want to get a shooter and if you are willing to take a gamble either bring up Bolduc next year if he is defensively ready or trade Mayfield for Dunn. St. Louis get size at back end (which they seem to love) and Isles get a puck mover with ability to score. I think Dunn and Dobson can be a workable pair. Dunn did regress a bit past year and this year too but watching his 1st two years with the Blues I think he has the potential to improve under Trotz like Leddy did because he has the tools (speed, pass, and shot). If not Dunn, then check if Dallas may be willing to trade away a D. Dunn can be had for less than Leddy and he is much younger. There are also other D similar to Dunn around the league that Isles may be able to get (maybe from Seattle if they have too many D and do not need to keep them all).

I am starting to sense that either Bailey or Ebs will be the guy left unprotected in the expansion draft. They are skilled but their lack of finish when they are in the clear is starting to get on my nerve a bit. Bailey may make the most sense but will Seattle take him without a sweetener? I will also consider Nelson if he has a bad playoff or if he plays below his level the rest of the year. He can score but he is also a liability in his own zone way too often.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Hindsight is 20-20 but imagine if Lou traded Mayfield before this season started. Same goes for Bailey and to a lesser extent Nelson.

Sure those moves would leave holes but they would theoretically have been filled with an acquisition.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Hindsight is 20-20 but imagine if Lou traded Mayfield before this season started. Same goes for Bailey and to a lesser extent Nelson.

Sure those moves would leave holes but they would theoretically have been filled with an acquisition.

I was just thinking the same thing. What if the team traded players, then got new ones to put in their place? The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: The Real JT

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
This one will go over with folks here about as well as when Trotz says that Leo has been terrific for us on the first line

Leo’s contributions were at least evident in the lack of goals scored against the first line when he was on it - are there any stats to justify Trotz’s love of Mayfield?

If Dobson iced the puck as much as Mayfield, he would have been in Bridgeport 2 months ago.

Reactions: buud

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Leo’s contributions were at least evident in the lack of goals scored against the first line when he was on it - are there any stats to justify Trotz’s love of Mayfield?

If Dobson iced the puck as much as Mayfield, he would have been in Bridgeport 2 months ago.
Isles get the last change at home right? What their home record? Third period goal differential? Total blown leads in the third resulting in a loss?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I do agree about the PK part because his long reach and ability to box out a big forward in front of the net and he is only the few guys healthy on the team who can handle a fight. It is just that on 5 on 5 he has had tough luck o get puck out quickly out of the d zone this year. I think Trotz values him high also has a lot to do with his salary. PK is quite important for the Isles as their PP is subpar and struggling so PK need to be exceptional to balance that out. I remember that Mayfield was able to make some good stretch passes last season but for some reason he end up more icing the puck this year. Could it be that those forwards are not getting to the puck fast enough or he just pass a bit harder this year for some reason. Was he rushing those passes more because of feeling more pressure his year due to his lack confidence playing with Leddy as oppose to with Toews?

Also what happen to those very good reverse passes to get out of the zone. Isles seem to use those a lot less this year for whatever reason. There are certain forwards having consistent problem get puck pass the opposing D at the point along the board. Then there are a few with bad habit overs skating the puck or leave the zone too soon without checking if they are still needed in the D zone to back up their Dmen.

Reactions: beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad