Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I am noticing a guy that is getting confident he can play in the league. Anyone agree or disagree?

It's nice to have a guy 6'4-6'5 lay some lumber back there. He seems to have his head up and is not afraid to pinch and actually shoot. Are my eyes deceiving me or do we have something here? On another note Pelech looks like a pro as well.

damm, if we could just find a dman that can move Leddy and Boychuk down a peg to the 2nd paring then we may be onto something. Hope Garth is cashing those paychecks in.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I really like what I've seen from him, love his reach, physical play and his footspeed and positioning is much improved.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Has done zero to be considered to be taken out...his physicality is needed on this team, made some nice passes and he seems to get pucks on the net, which is rare for this defensive corp.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
always liked mayfield's game ... a lot of fans were down on him last year ... really like his progress ... man it seems as though he gets more pucks to the net than leddy

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I am noticing a guy that is getting confident he can play in the league. Anyone agree or disagree?

It's nice to have a guy 6'4-6'5 lay some lumber back there. He seems to have his head up and is not afraid to pinch and actually shoot. Are my eyes deceiving me or do we have something here? On another note Pelech looks like a pro as well.

damm, if we could just find a dman that can move Leddy and Boychuk down a peg to the 2nd paring then we may be onto something. Hope Garth is cashing those paychecks in.

I don't know why this is such a big surprise, he was considered a late first round pick his draft year and when he dropped to us early in the 2nd it took Garth about 1.2 seconds to rush up to the podium to make the pick.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/draft/2011/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=6704032

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Josh Manson is a big right handed tough guy with a random break out. Mayfield looks like one too.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Johnny B didn't make it to the NHL full time until he was like 26. We've been spoiled by really young guys playing at an elite level (well, other teams have, at least), but late bloomers still happen.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Wanna be tough guy spells trouble. I just hope he doesn't get his @SS beaten into retirement within a couple of years.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wanna be tough guy spells trouble. I just hope he doesn't get his @SS beaten into retirement within a couple of years.
I don't think he's a wannabe tough guy, he's huge and plays physical. Comes with the territory, he just plainly isn't good at fighting. He's bigger than Trevor Gillies and more physical in a shift than Gillies but would get knocked into next week by Gillies.

Reactions: mm11

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I don't think he's a wannabe tough guy, he's huge and plays physical. Comes with the territory, he just plainly isn't good at fighting. He's bigger than Trevor Gillies and more physical in a shift than Gillies but would get knocked into next week by Gillies.

Exactly my point.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
He's obviously worked on his fighting.... when he broke into the league he took a few serious beatings. He can at least hold his own now and force a few draws. The important thing is he seems to be smarter at the position. No longer taking as many bad pinches and getting caught deep.... not leaving his lane to hit someone. Those things along with the natural progression of his skills are making a big difference in his game so far. Pelech is looking really good as well.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

yes I agree. It's good to have his size and presence chopping wood in the crease though. The kid worked his tail off it looks like and it may pay dividens for him with his next contract. Good for him. Was he not placed on weaivers last year????

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Bump
this kid had a very good game vs the Rags yesterday . He didn't try to do to much. With more games like that maybe the team thinks about locking him up long term ? In 5 of his last 6 he as played at least 20 minutes. 22 minutes in his last 2 games. Now that is more out of necessity but he is certainly not killing us. ( I know about the contract )

Reactions: Chairman Wang

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Bump
this kid had a very good game vs the Rags yesterday . He didn't try to do to much. With more games like that maybe the team thinks about locking him up long term ? In 5 of his last 6 he as played at least 20 minutes. 22 minutes in his last 2 games. Now that is more out of necessity but he is certainly not killing us. ( I know about the contract )

I think he is developing nicely. He is obviously not a top 4 D but I like his simple game. He just needs to be paired with a puck mover.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I think Mayfield is a very low-end 4D and an excellent bottom pairing guy. He's underratedly very good at pinching, just like Boychuk who is also very underrated at it.

I'd really like to see him paired with a high-end offensive defenseman. Someone like Ben Hutton would do well with him.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think Mayfield is a very low-end 4D and an excellent bottom pairing guy. He's underratedly very good at pinching, just like Boychuk who is also very underrated at it.

I'd really like to see him paired with a high-end offensive defenseman. Someone like Ben Hutton would do well with him.

Think you nailed It here. While not the most talented player, he’s very smart in the offensive zone and gets pucks to the net when he pinches. Think he could turn into a great bottom pairing guy or like you said, a low end #4

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He'll look better when Boychuk is back, but right now he's basically playing as the top RD and is hanging in there.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
What's the outlook on Mayfield next year, I see on here low end top 4 dman, who is good at jumping up in the rush and getting shots on net.... how good is he on the PK?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What's the outlook on Mayfield next year, I see on here low end top 4 dman, who is good at jumping up in the rush and getting shots on net.... how good is he on the PK?
Mayfield is a 6th defenseman who doesn’t skate well. I like the kid for depth but I don’t see the upside on him.

Reactions: 12Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad