Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
In large respects it speaks to how inept offensively our D corp has been but one thing I think he does better than everyone is gets pucks to the net. Doesn't have the bomb Pulock has but at least its to where it can sneak thru on its own or be deflected by a forward or an opposing players skate.
I think it speaks to how pathetic our defensemen are offensively especially when you compare us to the rest of the league. It's really kind of sad. Even Leddy looks lost on offense.
I don't know who to blame it on. Trotz system or the player?

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I think it speaks to how pathetic our defensemen are offensively especially when you compare us to the rest of the league. It's really kind of sad. Even Leddy looks lost on offense.
I don't know who to blame it on. Trotz system or the player?
It’s clear that some of the skilled players are taking a bit of time to adjust to the Trotz system. By the second half of the season the numbers will start to come for Leddy and Matt.
To Scott’s credit, he’s exploiting his own assets. My favorite thing about him is his deceptive reach.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't know it works both ways. For instance Barzal and Eberle were so much better last season. Lee hasn't changed much and Pulock has declined offensively. Great coaching has turned Hickey into anything more than a bottom pairing player. Robin Lehner numbers are similar. Coaches can have a great effect but in the end talent wins out.

Actually, I see my example of Okposo saying just that... "talent DOES win out." Okposo is an accomplished NHL player due to his talent and abilities. What he is not, is a better rounded and more consistent two-way player... of which he completely has/had the tools to become. Some of that is due to injures. But most of it is due to developing poor habits early in his career.

As for the suggestion that the current coaching is harming Eberle, Pulock or Barzal... I would rather reserve judgement on that. Small sample sizes and far too many variables that these specific players; and the entire lineup is facing this year. Even if everything remained from last year, there is nothing to suggest that Pulock, Barzal wouldn't have some offensive struggles just the same.

Personally, I'm not concerned with either of their game. They are learning and will adapt to becoming important long-term contributors.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site

Love it. Richie became Big Eric’s nemesis after a hip check that the big guy ran into. Was a running feud between the league’s top gun and our own fire hydrant. Sure there were times when Rich did t fight too much and you’d wonder why, but often he had a broken bone or two. Couldn’t throw.

I actually do like the modern game’s reduced emphasis on fighting, but there was something about policing the game on the ice that worked.

Eric Lindros vs Rich Pilon Round 2

Reactions: Quicklime

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Love it. Richie became Big Eric’s nemesis after a hip check that the big guy ran into. Was a running feud between the league’s top gun and our own fire hydrant. Sure there were times when Rich did t fight too much and you’d wonder why, but often he had a broken bone or two. Couldn’t throw.

I actually do like the modern game’s reduced emphasis on fighting, but there was something about policing the game on the ice that worked.

Eric Lindros vs Rich Pilon Round 2

I had that game on VHS, I think I lost it.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
It was funny to see everyone lose their collective minds after he signed for a whopping 1.4 mil for 5 years. Even if he stayed as our 6/7 it would never be that bad. The plus side that was missed by everyone was the fact he could actually get better and that contract would be the steal of the century.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
It was funny to see everyone lose their collective minds after he signed for a whopping 1.4 mil for 5 years. Even if he stayed as our 6/7 it would never be that bad. The plus side that was missed by everyone was the fact he could actually get better and that contract would be the steal of the century.
I agree. The term didn’t scare me at dollars that low. I really just want Scott to pay attention to Boychuk’s ability to time his physical impact on the game.

Reactions: Quicklime

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The monkey(Garth Snow, in this case) at the typewriter scenario works occasionally.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He can always be waived and just be a 400k cap hit too, I think. Such a silly thing for people to be upset about.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It was a very good move from the start. A little bit of a gamble because Mayfield showed only limited potential early on.
Big reason is because fellow Isles fans have this great disdain for Snow and pretty much anything he does.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I really liked Mayfield when we drafted him. he was known as a good skater with offensive ability. it's nice to see him rounding out to form. it's a lesson in patience we rarely have round these parts. Especially big guys, it can take a while to get all the parts moving together in the same direction. #dalcolle

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Actually, I see my example of Okposo saying just that... "talent DOES win out." Okposo is an accomplished NHL player due to his talent and abilities. What he is not, is a better rounded and more consistent two-way player... of which he completely has/had the tools to become. Some of that is due to injures. But most of it is due to developing poor habits early in his career.

As for the suggestion that the current coaching is harming Eberle, Pulock or Barzal... I would rather reserve judgement on that. Small sample sizes and far too many variables that these specific players; and the entire lineup is facing this year. Even if everything remained from last year, there is nothing to suggest that Pulock, Barzal wouldn't have some offensive struggles just the same.

Personally, I'm not concerned with either of their game. They are learning and will adapt to becoming important long-term contributors.

I didn't say the current coaching is harming anyone. If you read the thread it's amazing how many people just dislike Snow and Weight.
So it's ok to say Trotz has had a positive effect on Nelson this season but not say Eberle has been worse or fits better in Doug Weights system? Barzal was also better last season. Does this mean Weight is the better coach for this player?
Maybe coaching has little to do with Nelson's success. Bailey was also a better player last season but does that mean he doesn't fit the Trotz system. Before you question my comments it would be fair for you to read others pumping Trotz tires constantly.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
None of the players were better last season. They had a horrible record because they didn't play team defense. That was a team with no coach essentially. Doug weight was the worst head coach this team has ever seen. That's why I never complained about cappy. At least he had them playing defense.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It was a very good move from the start. A little bit of a gamble because Mayfield showed only limited potential early on.
Big reason is because fellow Isles fans have this great disdain for Snow and pretty much anything he does.
My complaint was in giving Mayfield & Pelech 5 and 4 yr deals, the isles were giving them roster spots instead of making tbem compete with other blueline youngsters Toews/Aho for those lkmitef 2018-2019 spots.

Props to Mayfield though. He has played better than expected.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
None of the players were better last season. They had a horrible record because they didn't play team defense. That was a team with no coach essentially. Doug weight was the worst head coach this team has ever seen. That's why I never complained about cappy. At least he had them playing defense.
Saying none of the players were better last season is just being disingenuous.
For instance I can easily make the argument that Barzal played better defense last season.
This team my end up with a worse record than last season.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I didn't say the current coaching is harming anyone. If you read the thread it's amazing how many people just dislike Snow and Weight.
So it's ok to say Trotz has had a positive effect on Nelson this season but not say Eberle has been worse or fits better in Doug Weights system? Barzal was also better last season. Does this mean Weight is the better coach for this player?
Maybe coaching has little to do with Nelson's success. Bailey was also a better player last season but does that mean he doesn't fit the Trotz system. Before you question my comments it would be fair for you to read others pumping Trotz tires constantly.

I’m not questioning your comments or anyones per se. I’m just saying that I personally have not seen enough to warrant making judgements about the current coaching on specific players. It’s too short of a time frame to suggest a cause and effect.

I’ll make judgements on past coaching... because it’s already done and in the past. There is nothing more to glean from it.

Some players produced very well with Weight. Some produced well with Capuano. I don’t have any problem whatsoever stating that. I never felt the need to unreasonably bury someone in criticism. But I do feel it’s reasonable to say the current and past coaching are justifiably where they belong.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I’m not questioning your comments or anyones per se. I’m just saying that I personally have not seen enough to warrant making judgements about the current coaching on specific players. It’s too short of a time frame to suggest a cause and effect.

I’ll make judgements on past coaching... because it’s already done and in the past. There is nothing more to glean from it.

Some players produced very well with Weight. Some produced well with Capuano. I don’t have any problem whatsoever stating that. I never felt the need to unreasonably bury someone in criticism. But I do feel it’s reasonable to say the current and past coaching are justifiably where they belong.
I totally agree.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
My complaint was in giving Mayfield & Pelech 5 and 4 yr deals, the isles were giving them roster spots instead of making tbem compete with other blueline youngsters Toews/Aho for those lkmitef 2018-2019 spots.

Props to Mayfield though. He has played better than expected.
If mayfield keeps playing as a steady number 4 and maybe even gets better that 1.4 per for 5 years is gonna make swapping boychuks and ladds contracts a lot easier

It’d be great if pelech could break out like that too but I really don’t see that happening but he’s 2 years younger and mayfield was on waivers a couple years ago so who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad