Confirmed with Link: Schultz signs 1yr/3.9M

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Better then letting him walk and it opens a buyout window

The consequence of letting him walk is not having a player that is not a valid WC NHL D..

One can still argue potential I guess but one could still be arguing that next year and the year after.

Really if we're being honest last year was show me time for Schultz. What did he show?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I expect Schultz puts up very good counting numbers this year on the back of a improved McPower Play. Not sure he'll ever be any hell at evens, but as long as he's not being asked to be the guy there he'll have some value.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The consequence of letting him walk is not having a player that is not a valid WC NHL D..

One can still argue potential I guess but one could still be arguing that next year and the year after.

Really if we're being honest last year was show me time for Schultz. What did he show?
Org wants to give him a chance under real coaching. Worst comes to worst we trade him for a pick and get something rather then nothing and some competetion at camp.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I shake my head at most of the posts on the board. People just totally under value offensive dmen. I think he will put up big numbers this year and we will regret not locking him up longterm now. He has always had to play above his position here and has never had a great d partner. This year he will finally be behind Sekara and will hopefully play all year with Klefbom. Let him find his groove and he will put up 60+ points.

His offensive contribution has oddly enough regressed in PPG, GPG, every year he has been in the league. For his offensive contribution to be seen as valuable, as meager as it was last season, his play at position needs to offset that, not compound the concerns with this players performance.

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
Well, this is the best outcome, considering the circumstances. Not sure why some of you have your hair in a knot over this... :loony:

McDeathbyCheerios*

His offensive contribution has oddly enough regressed in PPG, GPG, every year he has been in the league. For his offensive contribution to be seen as valuable, as meager as it was last season, his play at position needs to offset that, not compound the concerns with this players performance.
Yak gets a pass under Eakins but Schultz doesnt? They both regressed from their rookie season.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Better then letting him walk and it opens a buyout window

Amusingly, there doesn't appear to be anything in the CBA that says a team can't walk away from an arbitration award and still use the second buyout window. The buyout trigger is just that the arbitration award was issued by the arbitrator, not that the team accepted it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Org wants to give him a chance under real coaching. Worst comes to worst we trade him for a pick and get something rather then nothing and some competetion at camp.

Its fair. I'll accept that.

But in my own little universe Eakins would NEVER have been coach here and we would never be at this unknown position with either this, or most of our players.
sorry for the tangent. ;)

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Some ones offensive production dropped the more time they spent with Dallas Eakins? The hell you say...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yak gets a pass under Eakins but Schultz doesnt? They both regressed from their rookie season.

Yak enjoys physical play, is suited for physical play, and does not exhibit shying away from physical play.

With yak I don't get the sense that avoidance impedes his play at this level. With Schultz I do. Plus that Schultz occupies a position wherein acceptance of physical duties is much more in the job description.

its not the double standard you make it and I hope my distinction is reasonable and clear.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

You let him walk and where does your offense come from from the blueline? Oilers blue had 109 points last year. Schultz had almost a third of those. Even if you bank on improvements from young blueliners like Klefbom, that's a might big hole to blow in your production. And for what?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yak enjoys physical play, is suited for physical play, and does not exhibit shying away from physical play.

With yak I don't get the sense that avoidance impedes his play at this level. With Schultz I do. Plus that Schultz occupies a position wherein acceptance of physical duties is much more in the job description.

its not the double standard you make it and I hope my distinction is reasonable and clear.
I see it however. Under Eakins the entire team shyed away from physical contact. Ferrence was known for it and under Eakins he almost never hit. it seemed to be coached out of the team from most players that weren't bottom of the lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You let him walk and where does your offense come from from the blueline? Oilers blue had 109 points last year. Schultz had almost a third of those. Even if you bank on improvements from young blueliners like Klefbom, that's a might big hole to blow in your production. And for what?

Klef, Nurse, anyway. I thought Sekera was good at this stuff too.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Schultz 203 GP - 91 points 3 seasons combined - 56
Yakupov 192 GP - 88 points 3 seasons combined - 71

To answer your question, apparently so.

I guess those are the only stats we need to see. Not age, minutes played, PP TOI, never mind tenacity or will to win.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He is at most as good as Schultz points wise. So move Schultz and have Sekera and it doesn't improve us offensively.

The goal isn't just improving offensively. With McDavid its a given that that will improve one way or the other anyway. The goal is to be competitive, make improvements in goal differential and in being in games and in standings..

Sekera makes us better, more than Schultz. But not so much if he ends up having to play with Schultz. ;)

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
He is at most as good as Schultz points wise. So move Schultz and have Sekera and it doesn't improve us offensively.

I would also sign Franson with the savings on Schultz contract. I would live with Nikitin and Ference if they cannot be traded.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I guess those are the only stats we need to see. Not age, minutes played, PP TOI, never mind tenacity or will to win.

Well it is comparing an uninterested,no will, lazy weakling of a defencman to a sublime, tenacious elite forward sniper. You can decide on your own if the stats mean anything, or if possibly coaching and the surrounding team matter. The question was are people looking at it in a double standard, I say yes.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Yakupov is younger and showed some improvement once Eakins left.

Schultz is older and packed it in even worse after Eakins left.

There is no compete in Schultz's game. No intensity. He plays scared.
He can't get the puck to the forwards because his puck retrieval is brutal.
The only thing worse is his puck pursuit in his own zone. It may be the worst I've ever seen. Does he ever take the puck away from anyone?

Once he has the puck. He's actually pretty effective.

I hope the coaches change him but I'm not betting on it. I'm a doubter for sure.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Its fair. I'll accept that.

But in my own little universe Eakins would NEVER have been coach here and we would never be at this unknown position with either this, or most of our players.
sorry for the tangent. ;)
Your universe stinks because it wouldnt have McDavid wearing an Oilers jersey..
#allpartofplan

DaDucks*

Is there something wrong with that?

Could be....

The Oilers will be better next year as a team and he's going to benefit from it. His numbers could be inflated and lead into a contract over his actual worth/talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad