Confirmed with Link: Schultz signs 1yr/3.9M

McDeathbyCheerios*

Could be....

The Oilers will be better next year as a team and he's going to benefit from it. His numbers could be inflated and lead into a contract over his actual worth/talent.
If the team is better and he is still playing top pairing minutes then he will of been a big part of the better team.

oilersforevva

Jan 4, 2015
there are 2 things here I would like to address 1 ) if I am not mistaken , I do not think that if a team elects to take a player to arbitration like they did that they are ALLOWED to walk away from the arbitrators decision as they were the ones to take him there . 2) maybe in their discussions they had already agreed to a WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE agreement ...we need this 2nd buyout window opened to address team needs a little more ...we will take you to arbitration to open this window ..and give you a modest raise after a poor year to redeem yourself in exchange for this ...team elected arb is to have salary remain the same or reduce it ...since they qualified him and he did not elect ARB himself he would have received a 10% raise on his base from last year of 3.6 mil . That would have been 360 k and made his salary 3.96 mil ...60 k difference, semantics really ...we will take you there to open THE WINDOW ..but instead of trying to have salary stay the same or reduced we will sign you for pretty much what we would have if we didn't take you there ...IMHO

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I see as expected people are going off their rocker about us signing a guy who has been our only real offensive Dman the last couple of years, has lead the D men in ice time the last two years. Has been forced to play too many minutes against tough competition the last two years and who though he may look worse than other dmen because of his play style his effectiveness has been better than some of the darlings on this team such as Fayne and Klefbom.

All this while having to contend with Ivos Ekinzom and his reign of terror.

One full year to work with and evaluate the guy who like it or not has lots of untapped potential with a real coaching staff. Sounds perfectly fine all around as far as I'm concerned.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not a fan of the player but the contract is fine given the circumstances. Not really much Chiarelli could do.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Schults was just on with Stauffer. Some highlights from his comments.

- The past doesn't matter. What I do this year will be all that matters

- The entire new coaching staff is great as its a fresh start for me as a player

- I have to be better. I am not playing like I have in the past and I'm not the player I know I can be

- I took a 3 week break and then have been in the gym every day since. I feel stronger and when I step on the scale it shows.

- I am excited for the opportunity to go into camp and show them the kind of player I know I can be

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

- The entire new coaching staff is great as its a fresh start for me as a player

- I have to be better. I am not playing like I have in the past and I'm not the player I know I can be

- I took a 3 week break and then have been in the gym every day since. I feel stronger and when I step on the scale it shows.

- I am excited for the opportunity to go into camp and show them the kind of player I know I can be

In other news : Time to put up or shut up, Schultz.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
. Some highlights from his comments.

signed, Magnus Paajarvi, July 2012..

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
the sekera signing, klefbom showing he can play tough minutes makes me optimistic that TM will reduce schultz's minutes and he will be an effective player for the oilers.

there is hope anyway

You have to give the kids more than a reasonable chance to prove themselves. He wasnt happy with his performance last season. I agree with your statement!

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
What did Justin Schultz do to deserve a raise? Was he underpaid in 14-15? 3.675 or 3.9 over a year is semantics in terms of the cap, but it sends the wrong message to a team that is infested with under performing and overpaid players that doesn't work hard enough.

I understand that there is a line you need to toe as an organization when it comes to how you handle your assets, but the lackadaisical attitude needs to be weeded out. And to me it starts with the contracts.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Okay so the buyout window closes on Friday right? Someone please confirm.

48 hours after settlement.

The buyout window opens the 3rd day after settlement and then is open for 48 hours. So it either opens Friday or Saturday (depending on what the third day after means) and we then have 48 hours.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
What did Justin Schultz do to deserve a raise? Was he underpaid in 14-15? 3.675 or 3.9 over a year is semantics in terms of the cap, but it sends the wrong message to a team that is infested with under performing and overpaid players that doesn't work hard enough.

I understand that there is a line you need to toe as an organization when it comes to how you handle your assets, but the lackadaisical attitude needs to be weeded out. And to me it starts with the contracts.

Were you expecting a pay cut?

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

Blah Blah Blah Blah

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I assume this is a way to create a productive relationship between the two sides, so that he gets modest pay increase out of principle.

I'm glad to have him back. It's a bit overpaid but he plays a lot of minutes so it's not completely off either.

To me, this is his last chance to show he belongs here. If he doesn't improve a lot under Maclellan this season then the team needs to walk away from him. No more reupping with fingers crossed like we used to see with Gagner contract after contract. He needs to prove he's worth the money now or it's time to move on. What bugs me the most about him isn't his really bad play but his indifference to it. I fear the guy has serious character issues and I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad at him. Again, last chance is this year.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I for one welcome Justin SChultz to our new Eakins-less team.

If he sucks under the new staff then let him walk but i'm not giving up on another young defenseman just yet.

Exactly. Saw too many forward regress to think the D weren't affected too.

SJ has developed their D properly.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Overpay of course, but at 1 year it's no different than Kadri @ a stupid 4.1 mill. :laugh:

You've coasted long enough, Justin and now all eyes are really on you. :amazed:

Comic Book Guy*

He said the two players he would most like to emulate are Erik Karlsson and Drew Doughty. He specifically pointed to their offensive contributions as a reason for their Norris eligibility and he envisions himself as the same sort of player.

Call me crazy... but I think the coaching team responsible for Marc-Eduourd Vlasic, Dan Boyle, and Brent Burns know a little thing or two about developing defensemen. But maybe I am just old and crazy.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He said the two players he would most like to emulate are Erik Karlsson and Drew Doughty. He specifically pointed to their offensive contributions as a reason for their Norris eligibility and he envisions himself as the same sort of player.

Call me crazy... but I think the coaching team responsible for Marc-Eduourd Vlasic, Dan Boyle, and Brent Burns know a little thing or two about developing defensemen. But maybe I am just old and crazy.
Exactly. Add in Herbers whose teams routinely gave up 10 or less shots a game...if anyone can make Schultz a gamer it's them

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Team gave him a show us contract last year. He is being given a second chance with a new group. If he wants to be here there is room for him, but he better start showing he's worth. I don't see PC waiting too much longer to see this d complete itself. Another few months of incompetency and guys will be dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad