Confirmed with Link: Schultz signs 1yr/3.9M

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers are a better team without Schultz, and I'm one of the guys saying we need offensive dmen. J Schultz is BRUTAL. If he made 1.5M like he should be making it'd be fine, but signing him for 3.9M is BAD. The only contract worse then this is the 4.5M were paying Nikitin.

Schultz's qualifying offer was 3.65M so there was no way he was going to make 1.5M\yr.

Worst case : Schultz doesnt fit.. we retain 50% of his deal and have multiple buyers for him.
Signing him to this deal allows us to buy out Nikitin and Purcell and that was the whole point of filing for arbitration. It is not like Schultz wouldve held out if the Oilers offered the same deal before filing for arbitration and there was 0 risk of offersheets. Schultz was part of yet another loophole.

So worst case we buy out Nikitin and save 2.25M cap space... we can retain 1.9M if we trade Schultz @ 50% and still come out on top.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Good deal for the one 'show me' year.

I expect Schultz to have a good year under TM.

Hopefully not too good as per Petry...

McDeathbyCheerios*

Schultz's qualifying offer was 3.65M so there was no way he was going to make 1.5M\yr.

Worst case : Schultz doesnt fit.. we retain 50% of his deal and have multiple buyers for him.
Signing him to this deal allows us to buy out Nikitin and Purcell and that was the whole point of filing for arbitration. It is not like Schultz wouldve held out if the Oilers offered the same deal before filing for arbitration and there was 0 risk of offersheets. Schultz was part of yet another loophole.

So worst case we buy out Nikitin and save 2.25M cap space... we can retain 1.9M if we trade Schultz @ 50% and still come out on top.
This 100%

Chia couldn't give him 1.5 even if he wanted

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Don't like this deal at all. We got him for free so if we lost him it wouldn't detract from the team that much. We would have 3.9 more to lure another FA defenseman. He is no longer part of the core as far as I can tell.

If we walked away and he became a free agent would he sign anywhere in the NHL for $3.9 million?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Don't like this deal at all. We got him for free so if we lost him it wouldn't detract from the team that much. We would have 3.9 more to lure another FA defenseman. He is no longer part of the core as far as I can tell.

If we walked away and he became a free agent would he sign anywhere in the NHL for $3.9 million?
If there is someone we like more who wants to sign then we move him. You don't sit and hope we can sign a guy get no one and have a whole with only rookies to fill.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What young forwards played like crap under Eakins? Yak, I guess but his game grew, and I'd move him to if I could. Keeping questions marks like Yakupov and Schultz in important positions on the club are why we keep picking in the top 5.

Eberle, for one, looked like a shell of the player he was by the end of the season. Nuge was better under Nelson too.

McDeathbyCheerios*

ITT: People who don't understand asset management or how RFA signings or arbitration works

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Okay so the buyout window closes on Friday right? Someone please confirm.

48 hours after settlement.

Buyout window is 48 hours long and opens on the 3rd day after the last award/signing. If that last award/signing is after 7PM EST then it opens 4 days later.

So the Oilers second buyout window will be open July 18th and 19th (Saturday & Sunday).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So he's still an RFA July 1st 2016?

This is a contract that Craig MacTavish wouldn't have offered.

We did well.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the sekera signing, klefbom showing he can play tough minutes makes me optimistic that TM will reduce schultz's minutes and he will be an effective player for the oilers.

there is hope anyway

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also to the haters of the deal.

If we didn't give him a raise, we would not have a buyout window. Us giving him a slight raise for 1 year allows us to buyout a player.

I rather have Schultz then Nikitin and this allows us to do that.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure this will be his last season with the club, but I fully expect him to have a much better year with decent coaching and a better team around him. I really wish we could go after and afford Cody Franson to play with Sekera on our top line and push Schultz down, but I'm losing hope of that happening.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
If there is someone we like more who wants to sign then we move him. You don't sit and hope we can sign a guy get no one and have a whole with only rookies to fill.

Harder to move him at 3.9. They should have proceeded by walking away and spending money on someone like Franson or Oduya or Ehrhoff. Like someone mentioned already, if he was making 1.5 no problem. 3.9 is too much. He was making too much before.

I could be totally wrong on this, and if he turns out thats great. I just don't feel he's worth it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Propaganda Minister Bob chimes in

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 10m10 minutes ago

I fully expect Justin Schultz to take a big step forward this season. Will blossom under experienced coaches and will be a willing pupil
6 retweets 12 favorites

of course he will Bob, of course he will...

11.75 million dollars invested in Nikitin, Schultz and Ference...yikes

hopefully Nikitin is bought out now...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

We couldnt walk away after filing for arbitration.. We wouldve had to wait til July24 and there was no guarantee that any good UFA dman would be available by then..

Whats better ...Keeping Schultz at 3.9M and getting rid of Nikitin and 2.25M of his caphit.
or walking away from Schultz and keeping Nikitin @ 4.5M ?

Schultz is RFA after the year.. Nikitin UFA.. Schultz at 50% would still have good value and can be part of a bigger package.. Nikitin @50% retained would still hold negative value.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Harder to move him at 3.9. They should have proceeded by walking away and spending money on someone like Franson or Oduya or Ehrhoff. Like someone mentioned already, if he was making 1.5 no problem. 3.9 is too much. He was making too much before.

I could be totally wrong on this, and if he turns out thats great. I just don't feel he's worth it.
If we let him walk we would still be stuck with Ference and Nikitin. Giving him a raise allows us to buy one of them out. Schultz will be much easier to move then either of them anyways.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Propaganda Minister Bob chimes in

of course he will Bob, of course he will...

11.75 million dollars invested in Nikitin, Schultz and Ference...yikes

hopefully Nikitin is bought out now...

The thing with Nikitin is I hope he's only bought out if we're bringing someone else in. Cap space this year just for the sake of having it doesn't make a lot of sense and I'd rather be primed to take a run at one of the many good defencemen UFA's currently available next off season without having residual Nikitin hanging around.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
We couldnt walk away after filing for arbitration.. We wouldve had to wait til July24 and there was no guarantee that any good UFA dman would be available by then..

Whats better ...Keeping Schultz at 3.9M and getting rid of Nikitin and 2.25M of his caphit.
or walking away from Schultz and keeping Nikitin @ 4.5M ?

Schultz is RFA after the year.. Nikitin UFA.. Schultz at 50% would still have good value and can be part of a bigger package.. Nikitin @50% retained would still hold negative value.

We could wait till the ruling and walk away from the award. Save 3.9 and a roster spot. Keep our buyouts. Trade Nikitin for something as the season progresses and his cap hit becomes less.

I won't try to convince anyone. I guess we'll see how well he performs. What would Schultz go for on the open market?

McDeathbyCheerios*

The thing with Nikitin is I hope he's only bought out if we're bringing someone else in. Cap space this year just for the sake of having it doesn't make a lot of sense and I'd rather be primed to take a run at one of the many good defencemen UFA's currently available next off season without having residual Nikitin hanging around.
We have 5 players for the bottom 2 spots and only 2 are rookies

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we let him walk we would still be stuck with Ference and Nikitin. Giving him a raise allows us to buy one of them out. Schultz will be much easier to move then either of them anyways.

that's the other thing. Do we maybe buy out Ference instead? I know the buyout number is friendlier on Nikitin, but quite frankly Nikitin is better.

I get the impression that management loves Ference though. But, if Chiarelli really wanted to put his stamp on this team, then getting rid of the captain would be huge.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
pretty much the only choice Chia had.

If I'm a betting man, I'm going with Schultz not impressing very much and is traded at some point in the next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad