Confirmed with Link: Schultz signs 1yr/3.9M

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC · 17s18 seconds ago
EDM and Schultz settle one year at $3.9M

Not a big deal really. I was expecting this. The buy-out window is now opened. Interesting. UFA signing or a trade potentially? Who gets bought out?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
umm the lowest he would have gotten was 3.68M based on the arbitration the Oilers took him to.

200K more than what he shouldve gotten but oh well. Better than walking away from him.

Yeah...no one should have a problem with this deal. The team has really limited in terms of what they could sign him for.

It would have been stupid to simply walk away from this player.

Now the interesting part of the process begins.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Glad to have him back on a one year show me contract. Price wasn't going to be much cheaper than this; this was the expected salary. He know he needs to earn the next contract so I expect a much better season from him this year. If he plays well enough to earn a huge raise, that's a good problem to have, especially if he still is RFA after this contract is done, which hopefully he is.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
umm the lowest he would have gotten was 3.68M based on the arbitration the Oilers took him to.

200K more than what he shouldve gotten but oh well. Better than walking away from him.

Oilers are a better team without Schultz, and I'm one of the guys saying we need offensive dmen. J Schultz is BRUTAL. If he made 1.5M like he should be making it'd be fine, but signing him for 3.9M is BAD. The only contract worse then this is the 4.5M were paying Nikitin.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Also, people staying 'walk away!!!' - just stahp. It's ridiculously bad asset management.

Let's see what comes of this, and let's see what he can do under competent coaching.

If you're willing to give our young forwards a pass for looking like junk under Eakins, you should be willing to at least admit that Schultz could look much better under new coaching too.

That, and until we added Sekera and Klefbom's emergence, he is the only defenceman we have that even knew where the offensive zone was.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Oilers are a better team without Schultz, and I'm one of the guys saying we need offensive dmen. J Schultz is BRUTAL. If he made 1.5M like he should be making it'd be fine, but signing him for 3.9M is BAD. The only contract worse then this is the 4.5M were paying Nikitin.

Actually its the money we are still paying MacT and Eakins but whatever.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Also, people staying 'walk away!!!' - just stahp. It's ridiculously bad asset management.

Let's see what comes of this, and let's see what he can do under competent coaching.

If you're willing to give our young forwards a pass for looking like junk under Eakins, you should be willing to at least admit that Schultz could look much better under new coaching too.

That, and until we added Sekera and Klefbom's emergence, he is the only defenceman we have that even knew where the offensive zone was.

Prime trade candidate for bubble teams around the trade deadline. Depending where we're at of course. If TM benches his ass then he's fodder and we could probably get a good pick out of him later on.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt of a season under McLellan and his staff.

If there's no change, he needs a change of scenery.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

What young forwards played like crap under Eakins? Yak, I guess but his game grew, and I'd move him to if I could. Keeping questions marks like Yakupov and Schultz in important positions on the club are why we keep picking in the top 5.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I don't like Schultz but it's funny how many people give other players (Yak) a free pass...bcuz "Eakins", but Schultz doesn't despite being in an even worse position.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What young forwards played like crap under Eakins? Yak, I guess but his game grew, and I'd move him to if I could. Keeping questions marks like Yakupov and Schultz in important positions on the club are why we keep picking in the top 5.
Yes but letting him walk is bad asset management. He could get us at least a 3rd. Much better then nothing.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

No it's not why we keep picking top 5. We keep picking top 5 because we had terrible management with terrible hiring skills and terrible drafting skills. Awful personnel throughout.

Those 2 players may not be great, but they are far from the reason why this team sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad