Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiver*

I don't think you watched the same game as everyone else... Ebbett was invisible last night for the most part and even more invisible tonight playing with ****tier line mates. Schroeder create a like more chances and was just far more dynamic and better defensively. I have no idea how you would've barely noticed him on ice, the kid was everywhere.

Schroeder's really built for a small guy. He's easily stronger than Ebbett.

Proof?

Did you have results of the fitness testing?

Or are you going by who would look better at the beach? Which is a horrible determining factor in terms of hockey success.

And Ebbett outplayed Schroeder in the AHL this season.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Proof?

Or are you going by who would look better at the beach? Which is a horrible determining factor in terms of hockey success.

Someone hasn't been watching any Wolves games...

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Schroeder has paid his dues in the AHL. He has improved his defensive game. You can't teach his speed or his vision. I'd really like to see what he can do with some decently talented line mates. He always struck me as a very good playmaker and it is hard to show that when you don't play with finishers. I really hope he gets a shot. If Raymond, Kassian and him find some kind of chemistry, we have a serviceable second line until Kesler and Booth get back from injury. And if they do play well, they could form a third scoring line for us. I'd much rather have that type if dynamic than the putrid double checking lines we ended up with in the playoffs last year.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
correct me if im wrong but isn't Schroeder the all time leading American scorer for the IIHF W20's?

If so I mean you don't get that by accident! I miss Hodgson but im stil high on JS!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It should be Shroeder, it probably will be Ebbett.

When the hell are we going to find out what our prospects can do as opposed to playing journeyman players 1-2 lines above where they should be?

:facepalm:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
A team should never be run in this way. Everyone should have to earn their position on a team, it keeps everyone honest. Ebbett has already earned the trust of his coach and teammates as well, Schroeder should have to really impress to beat him out.

I totally disagree. I bet any player on the Canucks takes one look at those two guys and take Shroeder in a hearbeat, especially given how he's played in camp. Guys on a team know who is actually better and more skilled, and this whole 'earning it' business is overblown. It's not like Manny expects to become the 2nd line center or something.

Hell, Ebbett centering the second line by default is pretty much just a slap in the face for Lappy. At least you could argue Shroeder may have more offensive upside overall.

Besides, what exactly has Ebbett done in his tenure here to 'earn' his position? He's been mediocre overall and had VERY brief flashes of goal scoring. He's only been here a year. His numbers are about the same as anyone who was on the Canucks who played around 18 games - Byron Bitz did just as well or better points wise.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Proof?

Ebbett is a weakling. He never engages in any physical contact. He drifts in and out of play because he can't handle the rough stuff. Whenever he does get hit it either results in injuries or him playing horribly for the rest of the night. Ebbett is a perfect example of an opportunistic player. If he's our #2C they'll be regretting the decision within 2 games.

Schroeder meanwhile is always in the tough areas, is willing to take a hit to make a play and even finishes checks himself. Hell, in the first scrimmage he laid out Edler. How many 5'8" guys are willing and capable of doing that?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Was just looking at Detroit and it looks like they're leaving all 3 of Tatar, Nyquist, and Ferraro back in the AHL. Interesting decision. Considering Nyquist was drafted in 08 (and his original year was 07), it's probably not the end of the world if Schroeder (09) isn't in our opening lineup.

Still, I think he earned it with this camp so it would be disappointing if off-ice stuff (cap and waivers) prevented him from making the team.

---

Also here's AV's comments for those who haven't heard them:

"In (Schroeder’s) case, he’s going to have to be smart," Vigneault said. "He’s not going to overpower people. He should be able to stay on the D side. He should be able to put stick on stick. He should be able to play with a little feistiness. If he does that, I’ve seen the reads. I haven’t seen them being an issue.

"So far, I’ve liked what I’ve seen."

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I too am hoping Schroeder gets the start at #2C. Schroeder has an upside that Ebbett does not. So even if it's close, that upside should tip the scales in Schroeder's favour.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I don't mind keeping Ebbet around as the 13th forward or first call up or something, but Schroeder deserves the first shot at 2C. He looks great out there. Greasy, greasy feeds, good backchecking.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Proof?

And you came to that conclusion how?

Crows*

Ebett is a very serviceable fringe guy with offensive upside to fill in for short periods of time. 5 goals in 18 games last year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And you came to that conclusion how?

At a glance stat watching? Even if you are stat watching, a simple analysis of the stats would conclude Schroeder has been better (IMO). I really don't understand how some people can say Ebbett has been better.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
At a glance stat watching? Even if you are stat watching, a simple analysis of the stats would conclude Schroeder has been better (IMO). I really don't understand how some people can say Ebbett has been better.

The same way Arniel did. Before the camp started he told AV that Ebbett was the best player in Chicago. (Don't ask me how that's possible when almost everyone else watching the Wolves thinks it's Schroeder > Ebbett.)

I think AV was pretty shocked by what he saw in camp. :laugh:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ebett is a very serviceable fringe guy with offensive upside to fill in for short periods of time. 5 goals in 18 games last year.

Indeed he is, but that is all he is. Schroeder has a chance to to be an every day roster guy if he continues developing as he has quite honestly made significant strides in his game over the last 12 months. He may never be an everyday guy but he has that chance. Ebbett doesn't have that chance. As such I'd give Schroeder the keys to the "second" line for the first few weeks of the season and use Ebbett as the 13th forward (i have a feeling the second and third lines will be interchangeable).

When Kesler comes back, if Schroeder is playing well it allows you to move Lappy or Malhotra to the wing (or even Schroeder to the wing and you might be able to look at moving Raymond). Schroeder playing well creates options for the canucks and Gillis, so to me it's just another reason to give him a shot at that spot to see what he can do.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Give Schroeder the right linemates, and he'll flourish. Simple as that, IMO.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The same way Arniel did. Before the camp started he told AV that Ebbett was the best player in Chicago. (Don't ask me how that's possible when almost everyone else watching the Wolves thinks it's Schroeder > Ebbett.)

I think AV was pretty shocked by what he saw in camp. :laugh:

Explains why Arneil doesn't have an NHL job anymore too.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Listening to Team 1040 right now as Gillis is on it. As expected, sounds like the decision depends on the waiver wire situation and they have to figure that out first. That said, Gillis said that even if they decide to send Schroeder down (haven't made the decision yet) that he'll be back very shortly.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Listening to Team 1040 right now as Gillis is on it. As expected, sounds like the decision depends on the waiver wire situation and they have to figure that out first. That said, Gillis said that even if they decide to send Schroeder down (haven't made the decision yet) that he'll be back very shortly.

Oh real funny Gillis. Not cool bro! :rant:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I totally disagree. I bet any player on the Canucks takes one look at those two guys and take Shroeder in a hearbeat, especially given how he's played in camp. Guys on a team know who is actually better and more skilled, and this whole 'earning it' business is overblown. It's not like Manny expects to become the 2nd line center or something.

Hell, Ebbett centering the second line by default is pretty much just a slap in the face for Lappy. At least you could argue Shroeder may have more offensive upside overall.

Besides, what exactly has Ebbett done in his tenure here to 'earn' his position? He's been mediocre overall and had VERY brief flashes of goal scoring. He's only been here a year. His numbers are about the same as anyone who was on the Canucks who played around 18 games - Byron Bitz did just as well or better points wise.

Competing and team concepts are every bit as important as talent when it comes to winning. This team holds players to an extremely high standard when it comes to these things. Ebbett has proven himself in this regard, otherwise they wouldn't have brought him back. Holding everyone to the same standard is very important to the team dynamic.

Team concepts is a broad list of things. Everything from how you eat and sleep to how you execute the game plan. Being a professional hockey player at this level is a full time job.

Giving young guys spots based on their talent is a mistake a lot of bad teams make. Young guys need to learn that it takes more than just talent to make it at this level. In College, junior, SEL, etc. you have to be in an area. In the NHL you have to be in a spot. The same hard work and compete that saw these players dominate lower levels won't hack it in the NHL. It's hard to put it together.

It can be frustrating for fans. We all want as much talent as possible on the team. The good thing about doing it this way is these guys should be ready to play. While other teams have to suffer through young guys learning these things, if they ever do, hopefully we'll benefit from these guys being NHL ready.

This is a moot point anyway, I think Schroeder has earned a shot. He's done everything the organization has asked of him and they respect that. It's a beautiful thing. When AV and Gillis talk about Schroeder "competing" it's not lip service. Schroeder has the talent and has bought into the team concepts. If he can figure out how to compete at an elite level he's going to be a really good player. The organization and how they've brought him along will have a lot to do with that.

Hopefully Schroeder catches wind of how glowingly Gillis and AV have been talking about him if he gets sent down. He should definitely gain some confidence from his showing in camp. I want to see him play for the Canucks asap.

Last edited:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Proof?

It was a while ago and it's an incomplete look but Schroeder finished second in the benchpress portion at the NHL combine for his draft year. The kid is a fitness freak.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Honestly if he does this just don't draft players anymore.

At some point you have to reward your prospects for their accomplishment. If you're playing Ebbett who clearly was outplayed just for the sake of waiver wire's etc, then that's just unfair.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
It was a while ago and it's an incomplete look but Schroeder finished second in the benchpress portion at the NHL combine for his draft year. The kid is a fitness freak.

Thanks - i knew he scored really well at the NHL Combine in a strength test, but couldn't remember the details.

One of the advantages Schroeder has as an undersized forward is his strength. In addition to being fast, he's a very powerful skater and has surprising upper body strength.

Ebbett not so much. He's more experienced but plays a mostly finesse game.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

At some point you have to reward your prospects for their accomplishment. If you're playing Ebbett who clearly was outplayed just for the sake of waiver wire's etc, then that's just unfair.

Fair doesn't matter. If they lose Ebbett, they basically leave themselves with nobody in the system that can come up and realistically play anywhere but the fourth line. Given how hurt this team is already, that's a huge hole, and a big problem.

I'd imagine that they're going to wait until the last second, and hope that someone gets waiver exposed by another team that will effectively protect whoever they want to send down. If that doesn't happen, they'll send down Schroeder. I'd be shocked if this situation won't be explained to him. This type of decision gets made all the time at training camp time. It sucks, but it's why GM isn't an easy job. If they were simply deciding if they wanted to cut Schroeder or not, he'd be gone with the other cuts.

I'd also imagine that the depth issue if of particular concern this year, given how few of the Canucks have actually played a real game so far. There will likely be injuries.

Last edited:

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

Well it would only be a waiver wire move to protect everybody...And the back shortly could easily mean having Schroeder in the starting line up on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad