Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I'd fall off my chair if AV gives Schroeder the start at 2C.

I get the feeling AV likes Schroeder. He isn't the kind of guy to talk up players unless he means it. He has talked highly of Schroeder and made very fair assessments of his game. If Schroeder competes hard enough he can make it. He's learned how to play well positionally and definitely has the talent. If he shows that he can compete at that level he'll get a shot imo.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
This is how I see the 2nd line C battle being fought out.

Let's say Ebbett's performing at a 6 and Schroeder's performing at a 5 through camp. With Ebbett, you've got a 30 year old journeyman. A 6 is the best you can hope for him to accomplish. If the competition is close, I say you absolutely give it to Schroeder, because even if he's competing just a notch below, his potential to step up and surpass that is much higher than Ebbett. Schroeder could potentially reach a 7 or an 8, while Ebbett will always max out at 6.

I just don't see a reason to give Ebbett the job over Schroeder unless the latter completely bombs his camp.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I get the feeling AV likes Schroeder. He isn't the kind of guy to talk up players unless he means it. He has talked highly of Schroeder and made very fair assessments of his game. If Schroeder competes hard enough he can make it. He's learned how to play well positionally and definitely has the talent. If he shows that he can compete at that level he'll get a shot imo.
That's the key - as well as effort with respect to AV. Reason why Raymond is still on the team.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
This is how I see the 2nd line C battle being fought out.

Let's say Ebbett's performing at a 6 and Schroeder's performing at a 5 through camp. With Ebbett, you've got a 30 year old journeyman. A 6 is the best you can hope for him to accomplish. If the competition is close, I say you absolutely give it to Schroeder, because even if he's competing just a notch below, his potential to step up and surpass that is much higher than Ebbett. Schroeder could potentially reach a 7 or an 8, while Ebbett will always max out at 6.

I just don't see a reason to give Ebbett the job over Schroeder unless the latter completely bombs his camp.

A team should never be run in this way. Everyone should have to earn their position on a team, it keeps everyone honest. Ebbett has already earned the trust of his coach and teammates as well, Schroeder should have to really impress to beat him out.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
A team should never be run in this way. Everyone should have to earn their position on a team, it keeps everyone honest. Ebbett has already earned the trust of his coach and teammates as well, Schroeder should have to really impress to beat him out.
A team also needs to give its prospect a chance to prove themselves and a credible opportunity to earn a slot. All that's said and done, Schroeder has done more this season in the AHL and at camp playing with poorer linemates than Ebbett.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
A team also needs to give its prospect a chance to prove themselves and a credible opportunity to earn a slot. All that's said and done, Schroeder has done more this season in the AHL and at camp playing with poorer linemates than Ebbett.

I agree with this. Schroeder has to earn that spot though. Nobody is going to be in a better position to know who has earned it than AV. I think in the past people have been mesmerized by talent and haven't liked AV's decisions with young guys. He has been fair imo and I expect that to continue.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

The goal isnt to peak at game 1 or half way through the season like last year. Sure, Ebbett might be slightly ahead of Schroeder as of this moment but if Schroeder competes and is given a few weeks to work out some kinks it could be a huge pay off come playoffs.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
If he's playing decently well at this point, I wouldn't mind having Ebbett center Booth and Kesler when they get back. He's got some pretty sweet playmakng skills, and sticking him in between two "shoot first" guys might turn out half decent, who knows.

3rd line

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

4th line

Weise - Lapierre - Kassian

meh?

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
If he's playing decently well at this point, I wouldn't mind having Ebbett center Booth and Kesler when they get back. He's got some pretty sweet playmakng skills, and sticking him in between two "shoot first" guys might turn out half decent, who knows.

3rd line

4th line

meh?
No that's a disaster in the making.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Schroeder should center the 2nd line to start the season and after tonight it really is not even close. Having said that, I fully expect AV will announce tomorrow that Ebbett is our 2nd line center.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Schroeder should center the 2nd line to start the season and after tonight it really is not even close. Having said that, I fully expect AV will announce tomorrow that Ebbett is our 2nd line center.

AV was complimentary towards Schroeder during the presser. Said he liked Schroeder and Raymond together. Was happy with Schroeder's defensive play and didn't see any issues. Thought he was a smart player. Didn't say much about Ebbett.

Based on what he said it sounds like it all depends on cap and roster stuff. They'll probably have to send Schroeder down for a day (and call him back up on Saturday) to get under the 23 player limit while one of Vandermeer/Ebbett/Barker make it down through waivers.

arsmaster*

3rd line

4th line

meh?

Agree with microwave.

That's a disaster not to mention you're forgetting to include a very good player in that line-up: Chris Higgins.

Raymond-Schroeder-Booth as the offensive 3rd line a la Demitra (RIP)-Wellwood-Bernier, while having Higgins-Kesler-Hansen.

Hansen doesn't play 'his' game wih Raymond, he's admitted it in the past.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

or

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Burrows
Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen
Kassian-Malhotra-Weise

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Shredder

Ebbett's a bit underrated but as has been noted he's not only small, but he doesn't really make up for the lack of size with an ability to win battles against bigger guys (which Schroeder has proven to do consistently in the AHL level). While he can be elusive, he can't take a hit well when he does get caught. Seidenberg, Jovanovski and Sbisa all sent him to IR for months each time.

TheDiver*

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

or

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen
Kassian-Malhotra-Weise

Why would you put Kassian on your top 2 lines?

He's done nothing to earn his way there.

Daniel, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen, Higgins...then Kassian.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Ebbett-Malhotra-Weise

or

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen
Kassian-Malhotra-Weise

I'll take the one where they get two Kassians.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I'd fall off my chair if AV gives Schroeder the start at 2C.

THIS.. All the way.

I went to both games yesterday and today and believe Ebbett played great and Schroeder was very underwhelming.

Barely even noticed him on the ice while Ebbett's forecheck and backcheck looked good. (For a non-NHLer)

TheDiver*

Here are some clues with what AV will go with for lines...

He has already stated he will go with what he's had in the past.

At the scrimmage he had:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kassian-Ebbett-Raymond (The first night, the second night Schroeder and Hansen went with Raymond)

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts

Which leaves:
Vandermeer
Barker

Fighting it out for one spot.

And one extra forward spot until Booth comes back. I say Sweatt or Schroeder. They may want Schroeder to get AHL minutes.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Shredder

Ebbett's a bit underrated but as has been noted he's not only small, but he doesn't really make up for the lack of size with an ability to win battles against bigger guys (which Schroeder has proven to do consistently in the AHL level). While he can be elusive, he can't take a hit well when he does get caught. Seidenberg, Jovanovski and Sbisa all sent him to IR for months each time.

Who are you guys watching ? Schroeder is 5'8" 175lbs. 5'9" 175.

Both guys are small.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
THIS.. All the way.

I went to both games yesterday and today and believe Ebbett played great and Schroeder was very underwhelming.

Barely even noticed him on the ice while Ebbett's forecheck and backcheck looked good. (For a non-NHLer)

I don't think you watched the same game as everyone else... Ebbett was invisible last night for the most part and even more invisible tonight playing with ****tier line mates. Schroeder create a like more chances and was just far more dynamic and better defensively. I have no idea how you would've barely noticed him on ice, the kid was everywhere.

Who are you guys watching ? Schroeder is 5'8" 175lbs. 5'9" 175.

Both guys are small.

Schroeder's really built for a small guy. He's easily stronger than Ebbett.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Here are some clues with what AV will go with for lines...

He has already stated he will go with what he's had in the past.

At the scrimmage he had:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kassian-Ebbett-Raymond (The first night, the second night Schroeder and Hansen went with Raymond)

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts

Which leaves:
Vandermeer
Barker

Fighting it out for one spot.

And one extra forward spot until Booth comes back. I say Sweatt or Schroeder. They may want Schroeder to get AHL minutes.

This is false. It was Hansen, Lapierre, Higgins and Raymond, Ebbett, Kassian.

The only time it wasn't like this is just after a power play. Right after the second one, Schroeder was put with Raymond and Kassian and got hemmed into their end.

Two shifts following, the fourth came on with Ebbett centering and they got two shots on net (for probably the first time in the game) and Ebbett wasn't seen off the second for the rest of the night.

You have the lines right though. I looks like it'll be

Sedin Sedin Burr
Raymond Ebbett Kassian
Hansen Lappy Higgins
Volpatti Malholtra Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Edler
Ballard-Tanev

Alberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad