Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Man, are Ben Kuzma and Andrew Ebbett related or something? He's been pushing for Ebbett to be the 2nd line center for weeks now. :shakehead

Iain MacIntyre to, i dont understand it, does ebbett give them the most interview time or something.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I don't get the love for Schroeder. It's almost as if we drafted a big kid and keep cutting him a break for not producing because he has NHL size - except he doesn't have NHL size. He hasn't done anything in a previous camp to make a case for making the team and he's produced jack squat in every league since we drafted him. So why is everyone so seemingly in his favour?

I'd take Ebbet in a second over Schroeder. He's actually played 163 NHL games and has scored in the NHL. He's also outscoring Schroeder in the A this year. On a team that needs to win now it makes sense to go with someone they can trust. They dont have time to audition a kid that frankly looks like he'll never be an NHL regular.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I don't get the love for Schroeder. It's almost as if we drafted a big kid and keep cutting him a break for not producing because he has NHL size - except he doesn't have NHL size. He hasn't done anything in a previous camp to make a case for making the team and he's produced jack squat in every league since we drafted him. So why is everyone so seemingly in his favour?

I'd take Ebbet in a second over Schroeder. He's actually played 163 NHL games and has scored in the NHL. He's also outscoring Schroeder in the A this year. On a team that needs to win now it makes sense to go with someone they can trust. They dont have time to audition a kid that frankly looks like he'll never be an NHL regular.

Uhh... he was 3rd on the Wolves last year in points behind 2 AHL all-stars playing on a line with freaking Sweatt and Oreskovich...

EDIT: and Schroeder has 2 more goals than Ebbett this year playing way less minutes. That's actually fairly embarrassing for Ebbett...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Chances are AV will go with Ebbett as being the safer choice. if he goes with Schroeder, #45 will be on a short leash I imagine. The more so that it's a 48 game schedule and half the lineup on some teams have been playing at a high level (we should expect to get owned by the Oil).

One thing I've come to realize about AV, he's practical. He makes things work and doesnt take chances he doesn't have to. that has its pros and cons of course...

I'd say he errs on the safe side more often than not. But you're right of course, that does come with its upsides and downsides.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Probably the best answer is neither....

But if there are no alternatives then you have to go with Schroeder.

Just because Ebbett is older it doesn't mean he's safer. From what I've seen this year he gets pounded around in the defensive zone and has no ability to separate people from the puck. Moreover, he lacks the kind of jump that allows him to carry the puck out of his zone.

And the same thing shows up on the offensive zone. He hasn't the speed or the strength to create space for his linemates. Mostly he just poaches on rebounds or takes outside chances. In the end, he is kind of opportunist who can nip in and make a quick play on the puck. But there is just no way he can carry a line at the NHL level.

Schroeder has more ability to play the body and stay inside the play. I would say there must be serious reservations that he can do this on a consistent basis at the NHL level, but he seems much more likely to do this than Ebbett would. Also, Schroeder has the quickness to jump on plays in the neutral zone and create some offense.

I think, at this point, you would have to say that Ebbett has firmly shown he is not a NHL material while the jury is still out of Schroeder. Might be Schroeder flops whereas with Ebbett you are almost guarantee failure. Given that, I believe you go with the younger player with upside rather than the vet with none.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ebbett has 3 non-PP goals to Schroeder's 8 in the AHL. The guy is a marginal player outside of the PP. As orcatown pointed out, he slides in and out of play to exploit opportunities but does little else to contribute. Consistently behind the play in the defensive zone. Does the same thing as Hodgson in always cheating to get offensive chances. Not to mention he's a known quantity at the NHL level.

The only reservation about Schroeder should be his size and so far he's doing everything to make that a moot point. Does anyone see Ebbett actually taking someone like Edler down?

IMO Schroeder and Kassian will prove who belongs today. Those two have had great chemistry in the AHL despite how little time they've spent together and Ebbett with Kassian have none.

Last edited:

Outside99*

You guys are probably right however one fact is clear:

Schroeder has never played in the NHL.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not to mention Botchford ranting against Schroeder too. This was pre-scrimmage. Maybe he'll have new things to say about Schroeder in the morning.

Well no idiot Botchforn yet this morning but they are already going on about how AVs comments/compliments on Schroeder's scrimmage last night means AV has already decided to go with Ebbett. Only thing I heard AV say was that Schroeder played well and the typical young players need to play.

Outside99*

So let's go with the guy that has and has proven he doesn't belong? Would you also pick Cam Barker over Corrado if we needed a #6 guy right now?

I didn't think he was that bad last year. Anyway, just pointing out that fact.
#2, I really Don't know.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
On the topic of Kuzma, his audience is adorable:

comment from below the Ebbett article said:
top 18 AHL goal scorers, do some research about size of guys and actually a few in top 10 not signed by any NHL team.... (in case u don't have time to check the stats ebbett 21 points, schroeder 19 points, nino niederreiter has a point a game, is huge and not signed by anyone....playing on a chump team).

:laugh:

craigcaulks*

Can we duct tape them together to make one normal size NHLer?

arsmaster*

To me this is a pretty minor conundrum. Neither should be playing on a 2nd line on this team anyway. I'll go with the coach's decision here.

I just looked at your avatar, spit out my coffee laughing so hard.:laugh:

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
Ebbett managed 32 points as 2C on the Ducks over 48 games a few years back. He has proven he can do the job at the NHL level. In comparison to Shroeder he has a higher floor and a lower ceiling.

Given the nature of this season, I expect AV to start with the safe play which is putting Ebbett out as 2C against the Ducks on Saturday. Shroeder will probably get a look fairly quickly, but for the first few games AV is going to want to take the minimum number of chances, and that means Ebbett.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Ebbett managed 32 points as 2C on the Ducks over 48 games a few years back. He has proven he can do the job at the NHL level. In comparison to Shroeder he has a higher floor and a lower ceiling.

Given the nature of this season, I expect AV to start with the safe play which is putting Ebbett out as 2C against the Ducks on Saturday. Shroeder will probably get a look fairly quickly, but for the first few games AV is going to want to take the minimum number of chances, and that means Ebbett.

Ebbett managed that playing with Bobby Ryan and Teemu Selanne.

No offense to Ebbett, but if you're playing with one of the league's best power forwards and a future hall of famer, then you better rack up some points.

Schroeder showed yesterday and consistently with the Wolves this season that he can do more with ****tier line-mates.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
You guys are probably right however one fact is clear:

Schroeder has never played in the NHL.

They are producing at about the same rate in the AHL. With Ebbett you know what you get. With Schroeder; he is young and should improve with time. For me its no contest at this point. Schroeder's ceiling is much higher than Ebbetts; he's going to have to learn how to swim, throw him in the deep end now.

prai

Jan 2, 2009
Coach V is a dumbass, he wont give our rookies a shot at making the roster. If those rookies do make the team they usually play 4th line minutes, they deserve more than that since Kesler and Booth are gone we need Jordan up there to take Keslers spot untill he returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad