Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Even in the AHL, i've found Schroeder goes to the bench rather slowly. Raises his arm as a signal and then coasts to the bench. Not judging him, but this is what i've seen. I don't think he is injured.

I personally think he played the most physical game i've seen him play ever. He's never really cowered from physical play, but tonight, he was looking for it and went to throw 3 hits from what i could see. I really liked that. Hope AV recognizes it too.
Absolutely. From my end, it looked like he was so battered that he was sending out a distress signal. :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Really liked Schroeder's game tonight. Was good on the forecheck, and actually beat the defender to the dump-in a few times I believe, and was throwing some hits as well too, which I wasn't expecting. I like him on the second PP unit, give him a few more practices, and a game or two, and that unit could be dangerous; he has great vision. Was good on his own end of things too, not on anyones highlight reel, so that's a positive.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Good first NHL game for Schroeder. Didn't seem outmatched at all by the size and speed of the Flames. Though it'll be interesting to see how he performs against big, defensive minded teams like the Blues, Kings etc...

The Canucks need to focus on developing this player and ride out poor stretches. More emphasis on player development going forward and letting rookies make mistakes needs to happen. Screw home ice advanatge - we always get shelled at home in the playoffs anyways.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Solid but unspectacular 1st game I thought. As someone else said, thought he got knocked down/outmuscled a couple of times, but I did love that continuing battle against Bouwmeester.

Speed is noticable, especially playing with Raymond, and he didn't look overly lost defensively. I think they work really well together, even with Weise. The rest of our offensive is very similar - Burrows looks like he is trying to be Henrik - and it's refreshing to see some speedy north-south opportunities come out of Schroeder's line.

Also thought he was decent on the 2nd PP, again if unspectacular.

Really liked Schroeder's game tonight. Was good on the forecheck, and actually beat the defender to the dump-in a few times I believe, and was throwing some hits as well too, which I wasn't expecting. I like him on the second PP unit, give him a few more practices, and a game or two, and that unit could be dangerous; he has great vision. Was good on his own end of things too, not on anyones highlight reel, so that's a positive.

Yeah, that was very nice to see.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Was trying to keep track of shots for and against while he was on the ice, although I missed the overtime - VAN ended up outshooting the Flames by about an 8 to 3 margin through 3 periods. Forgot to look at which lines he was out against though... =/

Liked his game tonight. Thought he showed awareness and seemed to be in the right positions, particularly in his own zone which is great for a rookie on an AV team. His speed and passing stood out, and I liked that he wasn't afraid to take the body. Good first game for him!

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Was trying to keep track of shots for and against while he was on the ice, although I missed the overtime - VAN ended up outshooting the Flames by about an 8 to 3 margin through 3 periods. Forgot to look at which lines he was out against though... =/

Liked his game tonight. Thought he showed awareness and seemed to be in the right positions, particularly in his own zone which is great for a rookie on an AV team. His speed and passing stood out, and I liked that he wasn't afraid to take the body. Good first game for him!

The only line AV sheltered him against was the Flames top line. That's it. He had shifts against their 2nd and 3rd lines. Don't think he got any against the 4th line. The fact that he got 15 minutes while Malhotra got 10 minutes shows that AV was pretty comfortable with that line. Ebbett did not get that type of treatment from AV.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The only line AV sheltered him against was the Flames top line. That's it. He had shifts against their 2nd and 3rd lines. Don't think he got any against the 4th line. The fact that he got 15 minutes while Malhotra got 10 minutes, shows that AV was pretty comfortable with that line. Ebbett did not get that type of treatment from AV.

Because he has no reason not to be. The way he plays positionally is really good and he supports the puck in his end and through the neutral zone exactly how a coach draws it up. I'd like some clips to show the kids I coach.

I know you know this, I want a seat on the bandwagon.

Schroeder got hit hard along the wall by Sarich and it looked like he was hurt. He tried to get off and then half assed the back check. He came back the next couple shifts and really battled to give us possession on the forecheck. Good sign.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Had some niftly little passes that Raymond wasn't expecting. Not a bad first game, though of course a lot of kinks to work out. Liked that AV trusted him enough to put him right out on the second unit in OT.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
The only line AV sheltered him against was the Flames top line. That's it. He had shifts against their 2nd and 3rd lines. Don't think he got any against the 4th line. The fact that he got 15 minutes while Malhotra got 10 minutes shows that AV was pretty comfortable with that line. Ebbett did not get that type of treatment from AV.

Nice. I also remember he started a few times in his own end, but with Malhotra taking the faceoff. At least it shows he isn't being completely sheltered. 15 mins for a rookie is pretty damn good too.

Just checked the sheet btw - shots were 8-4 at evens for VAN through 3 periods plus OT when JS was out there. Not bad against 2nd and 3rd lines. Won 1 of 4 faceoffs.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I wondering how he would do on the wing with kesler and Booth.....pretty fast and Schroeder playmaking skills can really help the line effectively

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Definitely a solid NHL debut. Nothing spectacular, but he didn't look out of place, which in his case, was a good sign. People have said prior to tonight that Ebbett and Schroeder were essentially the same at this point, but it's pretty clear after tonight that the difference is night and day. He had a far better NHL debut than Hodgson when he was called up two years ago. I think when Kesler returns, Schroeder could actually stay and fill that 3rd line hole we have. I think AV has little qualms about his defensive play, evidence by Schroeder's icetime, and the fact that he wasn't benched late in the third or in overtime.

Nov 1, 2011
He slapped Bouwmeester around in that corner. Bouwmeester came out crying. :laugh:

I was pretty stoked to see that.

Bouwmeester is probably the only 6'4" defenseman that Schroeder is going to be able to "bully" in the NHL.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
True about jbo.

I want to see if he can maintain the physical play. If it's not his natural instinct it'll be hard to keep it up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hodgson is an awkward looking player not matter how you slice it. It's his all star hands and hockey sense that gives him and edge.

Pretty much. Watching Hodgson's stubby little legs work their way around the ice just makes him look even slower than he really is.

But he has the instincts where you see this agonizingly slow looking player show up in the right spot on the ice somehow more often than not.

Watching Buffalo games so far this season, much of the same. He stands out as being really stubby and slow on the ice...but he has ended up in decent position defensively much of the time...and offensively, he's shown a lot of intelligence in getting to the right spots alongside Vanek and Pomminville. And he hasn't been remotely sheltered at all either. Granted...it's the Eastern Conference...but it's still a thing.

Even in the AHL, i've found Schroeder goes to the bench rather slowly. Raises his arm as a signal and then coasts to the bench. Not judging him, but this is what i've seen. I don't think he is injured.

I personally think he played the most physical game i've seen him play ever. He's never really cowered from physical play, but tonight, he was looking for it and went to throw 3 hits from what i could see. I really liked that. Hope AV recognizes it too.

That's my real concern. I'd agree that it's about as physical as i've seen Schroeder play at the Pro level...but that concerns me. Sure it'll make AV smile, but some of those plays he just missed guys completely and slammed straight into the boards. That sort of stuff adds up quick, and if Schroeder is gonna take that sort of beating every night...i'm not convinced he's going to be able to last or keep it up.

Sure it's gonna impress the coach and in a first game, that's obviously what he's aiming to do. But i just don't see that as sustainable for Schroeder. Especially when you add in the number of times he was tossed aside and knocked down in just one game. You get beat up that badly for 82 straight games and then a post-season...i'm sorry, but it's just not going to be sustainable at Schroeder's size.

Schroeder HAS to bring that physical edge, every single night, or he will vanish from this league. At one point he overpowered Bouwmeester for the puck in the Flames corner, which was exceptional.

That's my real issue with Schroeder. It's not that i doubt his will to succeed or his hockey intelligence or ability to do the things that AV needs to see to impress him in a first game. I'm just so far from sold on Schroeder's ability to stick that kind of play out over a full half-season...much less a full 82 game grind of a full normal season. All the heart and effort in the world means nothing if you get smacked around like Schroeder did tonight 82+ times a year.

I think it's engraved in stone.

Schroeder > Ebbett

Well duh. Ebbett is awful. If we're engraving things like that in stone...we'd might as well engrave a big boulder with, "The Sky Is Blue".

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
^ Schroeder doesn't have to be as physical as he was. His concentration should be on producing offense, first and foremost. Without the offense, he doesn't stick. Defensively he's good, but there are defensive players as good and that are bigger than him. He needs the offense to separate himself from that pack. It's what he did in the scrimmages with Raymond. That's what he will have to do in the pros. Not to the extent of getting 2 assists a game, but to be a noticeable and tangible factor on the score sheet more often than not.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

So basically he played against fourth lines all night?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
^ Schroeder doesn't have to be as physical as he was. His concentration should be on producing offense, first and foremost. Without the offense, he doesn't stick. Defensively he's good, but there are defensive players as good and that are bigger than him. He needs the offense to separate himself from that pack. It's what he did in the scrimmages with Raymond. That's what he will have to do in the pros. Not to the extent of getting 2 assists a game, but to be a noticeable and tangible factor on the score sheet more often than not.

I don't know that he needs to get there that quickly. Martin St. Louis had 2 points in his first 13 games at age 23 and then 18 in 56 a year later. If he's able to hold his own even if the offense is marginal to start, he'll get more looks from AV. To me it's pretty clear that AV likes Schroeder.

So basically he played against fourth lines all night?

:laugh: Poor Flames...

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I was pretty stoked to see that.

Bouwmeester is probably the only 6'4" defenseman that Schroeder is going to be able to "bully" in the NHL.

Lol, I saw Henrik shy away from JBo at one point. I palmfaced so hard I'm surprised it didn't leave a mark.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
True about jbo.

I want to see if he can maintain the physical play. If it's not his natural instinct it'll be hard to keep it up.

He plays fairly physical in the AHL. Nothing like last night (but hey, Kassian doesn't play as physical as last night either) but he still finishes his checks and doesn't shy away from taking a hit to make a play.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I wondering how he would do on the wing with kesler and Booth.....pretty fast and Schroeder playmaking skills can really help the line effectively

Schroeder is not a winger. It's been tried and it failed horribly. Part of the reason why his first AHL season was underwhelming was because they spent the first half of the year trying to convert him to a winger. It didn't work, he's a center and only a center.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know that he needs to get there that quickly. Martin St. Louis had 2 points in his first 13 games at age 23 and then 18 in 56 a year later. If he's able to hold his own even if the offense is marginal to start, he'll get more looks from AV. To me it's pretty clear that AV likes Schroeder.

Quickness is relative. A lot of that comes from what is below him on the depth chart, or how the position changes via trade/FA. Rather, I'm saying for him to "secure" his NHL spot he will have to produce. St.Louis didn't secure anything with that production either.

As a shorter player, what he gives up in size will have to be made up through other tangible means. I think he'll get there, eventually.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
We're probably not going to see that out of Schroeder 82 games a year... that's likely the most physical game he's played this year. I actually thought he didn't get knocked around that much, other than that time he slid into the boards and when he fell down a couple times after getting tied up with players.

But as he adapts to the NHL and settles in he's not going to need to be as physical - I really don't think that's the sort of style you're going to see out of him on a consistent basis. Consider that he was probably the most involved in board battles out of his line (didn't see much of that from Weise who was only hitting guys after the puck was gone) - he should be getting some help on that front in future considering some of the other wingers he's likely to play with who can grind it out along the wall - Booth, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Kassian etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad