Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
Dale Weise scored 4 goals and 8 points for us last season, and this season he's deemed fit for 2nd line duty? This makes zero sense to me.

I can see it now, the Schroeder line won't produce much offensively and people will blame Schroeder while ignoring the fact that he has a plug on his line. Give him Raymond and Burrows and let's see that line fly.

Second line duty? Our second line of Higgins-Burrows-Hansen doesn't seem to include Weise anywhere so he's clearly not getting a second line opportunity.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Second line duty? Our second line of Higgins-Burrows-Hansen doesn't seem to include Weise anywhere so he's clearly not getting a second line opportunity.

Great, so we're going with 3 wingers on our 2nd line now?

What's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

What's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

I would bet that - ultimately - we will see that during the game. I think AV will start with his practice lines and quickly throw them in the blender. This is a reward for Weise starting strong and a message to Lapierre/Burrows/etc. to get their act together.

arsmaster*

Not offensively. While the players you mentioned haven't looked that great at all, Weise still doesn't show much offensively. Finally we have an offensive 2C who has some talent and we're flanking him with a plug. This won't work, just watch.

You ever happy?

Weise has created more chances than those players thus far this season, we'd probably have beat Edmonton in OT, if Burr made that easy pass to Kassian on the two on one the other night.

Weise is a big bodied forward, who is being rewarded for good play.

I don't think he's a plug at all, if there are any plugs in our lineup its MM (can't even type his name because it hurts too bad).

Pseudonymous*

I would bet that - ultimately - we will see that during the game. I think AV will start with his practice lines and quickly throw them in the blender. This is a reward for Weise starting strong and a message to Lapierre/Burrows/etc. to get their act together.

NO! lineups can't change during the game!!! :rant:

:sarcasm:

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

What's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Schroeder is a 5'9 rookie, so AV doesn't want him to go up against the other teams top lines in his first game.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC

Yup. People are so focused on Ebbett/Schroeder, they're forgetting that AV has more concerns than just those two. He needs a lot more from several others as well.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
You ever happy?

Weise has created more chances than those players thus far this season, we'd probably have beat Edmonton in OT, if Burr made that easy pass to Kassian on the two on one the other night.

Weise is a big bodied forward, who is being rewarded for good play.

I don't think he's a plug at all, if there are any plugs in our lineup its MM (can't even type his name because it hurts too bad).

Malhotra and Volpatti are devoid of any offensive talent. Blaming Weise for not scoring while playing with those two makes no sense. In terms of generating chances he has been one of the better Canucks.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

What's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Because Lapierre has been even more of a plug than Weise so far this season and Higgins and Hansen have been a hell of a lot better than Raymond and Burrows. There's no point in bringing those two down with Lapierre if they can slot Burrows in there instead.

Wizeman*

I am so stoked. Shredder is going to make a great pro. I wonder how many of us even remember Cliff Ronning.

Schroeder is only 22 years old. He will be fine by time he is 25. I really hopes he develops chemistry with Kassian like Ronning had with Momesso.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
AV's line for Schroeder actually makes sense if you sit down and think about it. Obviously he's going to pair him with Raymond to see if their chemistry carries over from the scrimmage, and considering that Weise has so far been one of our best skaters and is playing with a lot of gumption, AV wants to go with an all speed line and see what they can do.

What's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise
Because Burrows has been terrible so far these past two games. I see nothing wrong with AV wanting to put a guy like Weise (who's contributing) with Schroeder. Not to mention the speed issue. Like I said above, Burrow's been a half-step behind, same with Higgins. Weise has so far shown a ton of speed, and AV figures with Raymond and Schroeder together, he's going to need someone with that speed to keep up. Weise at this moment, is his best bet,

craigcaulks*

I am so stoked. Shredder is going to make a great pro. I wonder how many of us even remember Cliff Ronning.

Schroeder is only 22 years old. He will be fine by time he is 25. I really hopes he develops chemistry with Kassian like Ronning had with Momesso.

I spent too much time at QPA watching him play junior. If Schroeder is HALF the player we should be happy.

Pseudonymous*

you should check out ronnings pre nhl stats.

i can't think of many (if any) tiny players who came into the league and ripped it up without having a history of doing so.

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I agree Weise has looked great so far, but it's just so sad watching him try to throw huge hits and either end up missing and almost breaking his neck crashing into the boards, or hitting the guy and being the one to fall over despite throwing the hit.

It is pretty comical though.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
you should check out ronnings pre nhl stats.

i can't think of many (if any) tiny players who came into the league and ripped it up without having a history of doing so.

His ES stats were up there with all the best AHL scorers (while playing with some pretty crap talent for 80% of his time this season) so we'll see if the PP production was a product of the environment and lack of opportunity, or if he's just not very good on the PP.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I'm not in line to *** **** Schroeder. For me he has proven nothing really at the pro level. People's expectations are too high.
My expectations are that he's a kid with a very high ceiling and potential. Whether or not he'll meet it is a different story.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not calling him the next Tavares that's for sure.

I think what you're seeing though, is people just being excited about having another top prospect to see. You keep hearing about all these other teams with their kids like Hamilton in Boston, Galchenyuk in Montreal, Huberdeau in Florida. The Canucks don't bring the kids out much, so to be see a fresh high potential prospect start their first NHL journey is pretty exciting considering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Ronning. So underrated. I missed the last part of his career but he did pretty well point wise near retirement.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I agree Weise has looked great so far, but it's just so sad watching him try to throw huge hits and either end up missing and almost breaking his neck crashing into the boards, or hitting the guy and being the one to fall over despite throwing the hit.

It is pretty comical though.

Seriously, if he starts connecting on those, he's going to quickly rise in my list of favourite players.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
So kass with raymond and schroeder looked great in scrimmage. I gues AV wants to help out kassian by playing him with the sedins, but wants to diss schroeder by putting him with Weise so he can play ebbett more? Maybe he just expects schroeder and raymond to continue to have their chemistry, no matter what linemate.

Not gonna lie. I've been really impressed with Gretzky of the Netherlands. I'm excited to see that 3rd line play. Good to see Burrows knows his place as a 3rd liner. :sarcasm: 3rd line is better than 2nd line.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

What's wrong with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

That looks a lot stronger to me, pending Schroeder actually being able to keep his head above water in the NHL and Lapierre getting his act together.

But the 3-winger line setup is clearly just another example of AV refusing to 'let it ride' when it comes to skilled young players. He's setting it up so he barely has to use Schroeder. He'll hide his limited minutes away to 'shelter' the kid. No room for surprises...good or bad. He'll be set up to not fall on his face, but he'll also conveniently be set up not to really impress either.

It's not hard to follow AV's thought process with this...but i still don't like it. :shakehead

Of course...the Flames are running an 'all wingers' top line of their own. So whatever i guess. :dunno:

Pseudonymous*

His ES stats were up there with all the best AHL scorers (while playing with some pretty crap talent for 80% of his time this season) so we'll see if the PP production was a product of the environment and lack of opportunity, or if he's just not very good on the PP.

WHL 70 89 108 197

Those are Ronnings stats prior to the nhl. Sure its the WHL, but do you think schroeder would get near that in the whl while he was that age. I personally dont.

197 points in 70 games. He was a player who made his line what it was. Most top players can carry lines in lower leagues. Then all those players who carry lines goto the nhl and play with one another. If youre dependent on players in the ahl. PP or not. Then the likeliness youre going to be a player who nets 869 pts in 1137 games, is very slim.

Youre going to be REAL disappointed, you actually believe Schroeder is going to be this all star dont you

When I say hes no ronning, you start bringing up his 'pretty' good ES points :/

I understand you like him but youre reaching now, comparing him to players like that

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
But the 3-winger line setup is clearly just another example of AV refusing to 'let it ride' when it comes to skilled young players. He's setting it up so he barely has to use Schroeder. He'll hide his limited minutes away to 'shelter' the kid. No room for surprises...good or bad. He'll be set up to not fall on his face, but he'll also conveniently be set up not to really impress either.

If he has what it takes then he'll impress even in those limited minutes. Just like Kassian did on the Ebbett line which was also given 4th line ice-time.

WHL 70 89 108 197

Those are Ronnings stats prior to the nhl.

197 points in 70 games. He was a player who made his line what it was. Most top players can carry lines in lower leagues. Then all those players who carry lines goto the nhl and play with one another. If youre dependent on players in the ahl. PP or not. Then the likeliness youre going to be a player who nets 869 pts in 1137 games, is very slim.

Youre going to be REAL disappointed, you actually believe Schroeder is going to be this all star dont you

When I say hes no ronning, you start bringing up his 'pretty' good ES points :/

Didn't say anything about Ronning, did I? Just quoted your post to continue the conversation about his NHL potential. But if you want me to weigh in on those stats. It was a very different time. You might remember a certain Taylor Hall who never even made it in the NHL after having 142 points at that level. WHL was VERY high-scoring back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad